PDA

View Full Version : Frame Bolt Broke

Code Monkey
December 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
The frame bolt broke! Wow! You must have seriously been crankin. How old are they? How many miles do you think you put on them? I use those supergrips and lately I have been crankin, although mostly straight aways. I think Lesk8te (sorry if I didn't get the spelling correct) pointed out to me that even though they look like a good product it still is smart to always check your equipment so I do.

Are you ok? I think it's your new avatar.

skaterdog
December 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
CM...I've had those bolts for several months on my indoor skates. I was surprised that it just broke in half like it did. The skates are just for indoor skating so not that many miles on them. I imagine my size (6'3 230) could be part of it...or maybe the Viper 4x100 frame I've had on it since September?

I was able to guide myself on one skate out of the pace line and politely fall away from the other skaters.

My new avatar? Hmmmm.

chunchmeow
December 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
wow you broke a bolt? holy crap you must have wiped out pretty bad from that. I always thought those were rather indestructable though?

BWI-Sheldon
December 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Are you ok? I think it's your new avatar.

Yeah, I agree.

TRS-SKATER
December 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Bolt schmolt
And how can you be "Cranking it" on speed skates!!!
lol

speedysktr
December 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Bolt schmolt
And how can you be "Cranking it" on speed skates!!!
lol
oh pul-lease, ye of the stubby wheels :p ;)

S-dog, that shirt saved your life. If you hadn't had it on, both bolts would have surely broken.

dmoore
December 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Skaterdog,
Have you had a chance to closely examine both pieces of the bolt where it broke? It's possible it failed due to an imperfection in the metal. I've seen this happen in other applications-not skates. Just a thought.:confused:

At least your weren't 15 miles up the trail when this happened.:wink:

speedysktr
December 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I've never heard of a frame bolt breaking like that, ever, in 12 seasons of speedskating.
edit:
...At least your weren't 15 miles up the trail when this happened.:wink:
That's why I always carry tools, an extra axle and several frame bolts when I skate outside. Be prepared. Everything I mentioned fits in a package about the size of a jumbo pack of wrigleys.

skaterdog
December 16th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I've never heard of a frame bolt breaking like that, ever, in 12 seasons of speedskating.
edit:

That's why I always carry tools, an extra axle and several frame bolts when I skate outside. Be prepared. Everything I mentioned fits in a package about the size of a jumbo pack of wrigleys.

I guess I won't worry about it happening agian then. The bolt broke cleanly almost directly in the middle of the bolt...maybe as dmoore mentioned it was a flaw in the bolt?

I never have carried extra bolts or axles for outside but I think I will now.