PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Skate Advice Needed! :)

sk8rdeb
December 31st, 2006, 02:46 AM
HI! I'm new to the forum, but not to skating... My skates finally gave out on me after 16 years!! I need to get a new pair, but have absolutely NO CLUE what to be looking for, or where to look.

My skates were (please don't laugh - they did me well!!) boys size 3 Rollerblade Lightnings - hard shell - three wheels - great all around skates... and they were my friends... I have to mourn their passing. :(

The outer shell cracked last Saturday - I mean "cracked"! They split from the toe to the ankle... I tried looking for skates, but with my small foot, I'm having a real hard time. All of the kids skates seem to be "adjustable" (wouldn't trust them on stairs or off curbs), and the adult skates are too big.... Does anyone have any advice?

It is greatly appreciated!!!

Davey_Speedstar
December 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM
My skates were (please don't laugh - they did me well!!) boys size 3 Rollerblade Lightnings

Is that a US size 3? That's increadibly small - My wife's a UK 3 and I thought her feet were weeny (I'm still not laughing though ;) )

Pepper Montana
December 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I went to Inline Warehouse because that site has a search feature that allows you to search their inventory by size. The smallest non-adjustable style skate that they had posted was a size 4. They have an 800 number listed though on their front page. It might be worthwhile to call them and ask if they could check the catalogs from their vendors.

You could also call K2 support directly at

On the up side of the adjustable skates, if you are forced to go that route, you won't be out a huge amount of money. The most expensive skate I saw in that category was $99 with most of them a lot less.

One last thought, the k2 skates that I bought needed to be size 10 where I bought 9.5 in the rollerblade. Maybe a size 4 in K2 would work for you?

Sorry for the rambling post and good luck!

sk8rdeb
January 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
First, thanks for the replies, the welcome, and to all a Happy New Year!

Second, yes, that is a US Boys size 3... US women's size 5... My old Lightnings had only 3 wheels, so everything I'm trying now - even though the boot is lighter - feels heavier because of the extra wheel and bearings. And the wheels are smaller too! :(

I've been looking at both InlineWarehouse and Zappos online, but don't want to order online without a chance to actually feel the fit.

I did try a pair of Bauer Vapor VR skates yesterday at the local "Modells" - they were nice and wide, but a bit too long... and they had a built-in liner instead of the removable, washable one the Rollerblades had. And they have two different sized wheels - the fronts are 68mm and the rears are 72mm (I think). I also tried a pair of Mission boys hockey skates - talk about hard insides!! :( They must wear a lot of socks to cushion their feet!! ;)

I think I'm just going to have to lower my standards, and get ready for the compromise!! :(

Pepper Montana
January 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
I've been looking at both InlineWarehouse and Zappos online, but don't want to order online without a chance to actually feel the fit.

I think I'm just going to have to lower my standards, and get ready for the compromise!! :(

That is smart to insist on having your skates fit well. Makes a huge difference, don't it? Lot's of the internet vendors will exchange product without a re-stock fee. FWIW Inline Warehouse has always done a great job by me and they have earned the Morgan seal of approval for good customer service.

BWI-Sheldon
January 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Order several pairs and keep the one that fits. Thatís what I did for my wife and kids. You donít have to play Russian roulette with your skates.

Now you have several choices for keeping them in returnable condition.
1) Try them out on carpet.
2) Use your old wheels and put the new ones back on afterwards
3) If you will definitely keep a pair, so just use one set of wheels while testing.

Most places on line won't even charge you or shipping f you return them. I did this many times.

sk8rdeb
January 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
My lightnings worked last night - with a "power strap" to keep the bottom from falling off... They worked okay, but I know it's just a matter of time... The local hockey skate shops are supposed to refresh their supplies near the end of Feb... I'm hoping mine hold out until then... I think the hockey boot - boys small fixed frame might be the trick... or maybe kids "aggressive skates" .... Thanks for the continued advice!!

janneman
January 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
hi deb, welcome to this forum!

Mmm tiny is fine, right? i know a skater-woman here that has very small feet and found belotti (http://www.skateoutlet.com/all_belotti.htm)skates well fitting. These italian shoes start with real small sizes.

if you have money off the tree - you could also have bont make some customs - our valued forumhostess does not have the plumbest pedestal, but found some real nice boots (http://www.skatelog.com/skaters/kathie-fry/bont-boots-03.htm)there ;)

but i must admid - if you're in for new (higher) fitness boots i would not know where to start...