PDA

View Full Version : Buying quads as Xmas gift for rec skater

ipomoea
December 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
My wife's been going to our local rink with a friend every week or two; I'd like to buy her some skates for Christmas so she doesn't have to deal with oddly-aligned rentals every time. She's not into dancing, shuffling, jumping, or anything like that; mostly just going around the oval, maybe a spin or two.

I went down to the skate shop at the rink, and they recommended the Sure-Grip "Fame" package; they're on sale for about $100. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a little more than that, but they assured me that for a strictly recreational skater, there wasn't much point in going much beyond that. What do you guys think? Should I move up to the "Mustang," which is a leather boot? Or would the need to break in a leather boot make it less appropriate for just an occasional user?

gem
December 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
My wife's been going to our local rink with a friend every week or two;
I went down to the skate shop at the rink, and they recommended the Sure-Grip "Fame" package; they're on sale for about $100. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a little more than that, but they assured me that for a strictly recreational skater, there wasn't much point in going much beyond that. What do you guys think? Should I move up to the "Mustang," which is a leather boot? Or would the need to break in a leather boot make it less appropriate for just an occasional user?Put it this way, if really think she will continue skaking, yes get the better skates!

Davey_Speedstar
December 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Isn't the Mustang a 'soft leather' boot? If so breaking in shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Either way - showing more love is spending more money :rolleyes:

patience77
December 11th, 2008, 10:52 PM
If price isnt an issue then go with the best you can find that will suit her needs. The gentleman that helped me at the rink I bought mine from was going by the price I set as a guideline and I purchased myeslf an entry level skate since I know in about another year or so I will have to upgrade one of my boys skates I went conservative on the price. I like my new saktes but I kinda wish I would have let my hubby go out and buy my skates for my b-day Just out of curiosity to see what he would have brought home. but i beat him to the puch. I think I will let him know if he wants to buy me another pair for our 11 year anniversary that is fine by me. :wink:

Oh P.S. for me personally its not the amount of $$ you put into a gift it is the thought you put into it. There are so many men out there that dont put as much thought as they do money into what they buy their wives and I think the fact that you are concerned for her comfort and enjoyment says more than the price tag on the skates. If you think the Mustang would be a better fit more comfortable and it isnt all that much more go for it. i am not an expert mind you nor am I complaining but since buying my skates I have discovered it is a case of you get what you pay for.

ipomoea
December 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Well, I ended up going back and changing my mind; fortunately, they hadn't placed the "Fame" order yet. Hopefully the Mustangs will work out.

I don't know yet which configuration she'll be getting, though. I've seen some pictures of the Mustang with an "X-Bar" (http://riedellroller.com/art/images/whtmustang_skate.jpg) and some without (http://www.lowpriceskates.com/images/products/display/Riedell_Mustang_400.jpg).