PDA

View Full Version : Return to skating at 49 - skate suggestions?

skatin' penguin
February 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Iím now 49 and started skating when I was 11. I skated constantly up until I married at 21 and then skated only occasionally. Now, remarried and with a 7-year old son, Iíve renewed my interest in skating with him. He started skating at age 5 with his daycare and Iím just now joining him.

Hereís the problem. I have skated with the same pair of skates since age 16. They were not expensive when purchased. I believe they are Roller Derby with vinyl boots. I put these old skates on and it was like being 16 again. I was all over the rink and really impressed my son. Now, after a couple of wearings, the boots have cracked with age so I can no longer wear them. Yesterday, I rented regular skates and could barely stand up on them. I looked like Iíve never been on skates in my life!! What is the difference between the rentals and my own?

I want to purchase new skates, but donít want to try them out to find that I have the same problem as with the rentals. Do you have any words of wisdom to offer?

larrydk
February 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Normally, your local rink is a good starting point for good fit and selection.

DOC sez: I have no idea where you sk8 but 90% of the rinks I have sk8ed in the last 10 year were clueless past "the book".... If you have a real Pro Shop, then you are among the the blessed few.

Doc Sk8
February 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
First, welcome back... A lot has changed in the time you were gone....

Old vinyl Roller Derby boots..:smile:. I am working with a lady right now trying to get her out of a pair of those...;)

Why can't you sk8 in the rentals?? I will say it is a combination of 2 reasons. 1) They are not your old sk8s and 2) they are probably in a less than wondrous state of repair. Heaven forbid they are the plastic Roller Derby rentals.. I can't sk8 in those either....

The first issue....real Roller Derby sk8s have not been made in quite a while and parts are difficult to find... Especially for the upper (large) cushion. Even if you had new boots mounted you would have a chore keeping the old parts going.... Past that and the real issue here;.... NO sk8s are your old sk8s. Approach each new pair with extreme caution because you will need to reprogram your autopilot.....your autopilot being your reflexes and skills based on your old sk8s.

As far as the rentals, look 'em over close. I have seen many "accidents waiting to happen" going out over the rental counter.... Chances are they are over tightened and probably not in balance either....

If they are the plastic Roller Derby rentals there is nothing you can do.. They are what they are...

My advice is read some more on the general quad forum. and watch eBay for some old Roller Derbys.. You may get lucky...

Better yet, get a pair of properly set up used sk8s... They are on eBay and other sites as well... Don't buy Cheap... Since I'm thinking you are in art style sk8s watch for Snyder plate on Riedell boots... Those should give you the flexibility you need to tune them so they sk8 much like your old ones....

Or you could shoot off the big guns and go new... JUST don't go cheap....Your experience with the rentals is a good indicator of what you would experience with cheap sk8s...