PDA

View Full Version : An Extreme Ice Skating Event in Boston

Kathie Fry
August 26th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Just added to our Skating Calendar (http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/calendar.php):

The next Red Bull Crashed Ice extreme downhill ice skating competition will take place in the city of Boston, Massachusetts, USA on November 11, 2006. Ice skaters, wearing full hockey gear, will race four at a time on an 1100 foot ice course with whoops, berms, turns, downhills, and one uphill segment. To get an idea of what to expect, see these Photos of a Prague Crashed Ice Event (http://www.skatelog.com/countries/cz/2005-crashed-ice-00.htm) in the Czech Republic.

Tryouts for the Boston event will be held in 19 locations in the United States and Canada between August 27 and October 7, 2006. The event will include separate categories for men, women, and college students. For more information, visit the official event Web site at RedBullCrashedIce.com (http://www.redbullcrashedice.com/).

- Kathie

Ice Ramps
August 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Kathie,

I have seen this before in fact it reinforces the fact that I can make my Ice Ramps project idea a reality. I prob will not have the time to try-out for this event due to the army but I will definately at least attend the event. I wonder if there might be a way around the try-outs at least for a demo or something I would love to try this it is so "right up my alley" Do you have any contacts on this Kathy?

Thanks,
Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com

Ice Ramps
August 27th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Kathie,

I am in contact with the N. American marketing director about this so we are trying to work something out.

Dale

prefontaine
August 27th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Well there it is. The most insane thing I have ever seen. I am not really even sure what to say....

Except how AWESOME it is!!!

Ice Ramps
August 27th, 2006, 05:12 AM
PREFONTAINE,

RAD!!!! I thought for second there that you were going to be a Nay-sayer......

Thanks,
Dale
www.iceramps.com

prefontaine
August 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Dale, I'm not sure if any of this will catch on, but I know of a sport called inline skating, that when I bought my first pair in the late 80's, had the same things said about it.

Ice Ramps
August 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Same way with the sport of snowboarding

Ice Ramps
August 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Red Bull Requires you to have full Hockey gear for the crashed ice event. I have not played/skated in gear in some years but no big deal....I just scored a next to new set on e-bay for $99.00

Pepper Montana
August 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Dale,
Your sport is pointless, dangerous and only appeals to a tiny segment of the population. Sort of like inline speedskating. I love it!

Good luck with your business! I admire anyone who has a vision and works to make that vision a reality. That is beautiful. The world needs more people with courage like yours. Good luck! I will be watching for more news about your venture in the future.

Ice Ramps
August 28th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Dave,

I'm with you, but its not anymore dangerous than aggressive inline is now or other sports like football. Though skating esp this type may be pointless, it is fun and challenging therein lies the real purpose. Back in my figure skating days I was asked by a close family member "why I strived so hard to be someone elses source of entertainment?" this stumped me until Desert Storm when it was the longest time I had ever been off ice and wheels. I missed skating .....for myself it had nothing to do with anyone but me. When I returned stateside I skated for myself, and wow I improved by leeps and bounds, far more than I ever did when I competed. So the point would be within ones self. Take A2A for instance, many people may think its crazy too, but ask anyone who has done it and you will get a different answer. ( I still remember the best orange I ever tasted in my life being passed over out of some van.......) Thanks for the vote of Confidence,

Dale Campbell,
www.iceramps.com

Ice Ramps
September 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I am so ticked off so please excuse me but I just need to vent! I have been really training for this Red Bull Crashed Ice event. I am also under some finacial stress being in Arizona and paying for two housholds basiclly (army budget cuts since I'm not in a temp duty status) Anyway I tried to get Red Bull to allow me to by-pass the try-outs or perhaps try-out by video or here at a local rink or something. The answer was no, and although I did not like it I understood so I spent money I really did not have, to buy a ticket for the try-out in Boston this weekend I signed up for both the 30th September and the 1st of October just in case my plane was late or something. Being in the army I can't just up an go somewhere on a whim so this was a major deal for me, pass forms, risk assetments etc.... I would also have to buy another ticket for the actual event on the 11th of November as well (not to mention plane tickets to fly home and see my family for upcoming holidays too) Anyway I am still sore from the 8 hours I trained on Saturday and I just came home from work to get this:

Dear Crashed Ice Tryout Registrant,

We regret to inform you that all of the Crashed Ice
Tryouts listed below have been postponed until
further notice and will not take place on their
originally scheduled date/time. More information
will be available shortly and you will be notified via
email when that information is available. Thank you
for your interest and please contact me should you
have any further questions.

Marlborough 9/28
Scranton 9/29
Portland 9/29
Amherst 9/30
Boston 9/30
Durham 10/1
Watertown 10/1

Sincerely,

Lindsay
Crashed Ice Athlete Liaison
Red Bull North America, Inc

Anyway I just had to vent, wish me luck that this somehow gets resolved

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com

Acidedge
September 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Video of Crushed Ice Moscow 2004: http://styleslalom.free.fr/crashedicemoscow2004.mpg

Ice Ramps
October 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hello all,

For those of that were following the Red Bull Crashed Ice Event, Well it was cancelled. The only information that was offered on thier website and from e-mails I had recieved from thier staff was that they had "Technical difficulties" They were being kinda closed lipped about the paticulars ( I know "Spook" types that would give me more info than the red bull staff) My guess is the liquid chiller unit was down and they would have been cutting it close to get a replacement in time. They are not cheap either, it is one of the hurtles we face getting the protoype ice ramp built ($25k about) Anyway they are supposed to have a another event in March of 2007 in Canada, Charles and I plan on skating that event since this one was canned. I did go to Boston anyway even though the Try-outs were cancelled, as the plane ticket I bought was non-refundable, well at least without paying huge penalties. Regardless of the setback Charles and I skated a couple of ice rinks and had a great time. I can do this one move that is basicly a sliding one footed hockey stop that has a extremly high snow spray like 12-15 feet high and the same in length, depending on ice conditions and how sharp your blades are. (If this suprises you, well its true I'll post video on the Ice Ramps website soon.) anyway I experienced some pain due to a "glitch". I was watching the traffic patterns in the public session and went to attempt this move, and just when I picked up max speed I started the move, this little girl came out of nowhere crossing my path as she skated across the rink instead of with the flow.....So I had just started the initial slide on my left shin/knee and was about to place my right sklate blade down to spray I neither wanter to risk hitting her or covering her in ice so I hard planted my right blade down and came to a immeadiate halt! like going from 35-40 mph to zero on a dime. which worked, but the speed of my forward movement drove the knee and thigh of the right leg into my chest... and hard. I knocked the wind out of myself for a minute and while I continued to skate for another 30 minutes after this happened, later I realized this was much like car accident my neck and shoulder blades are really sore like from whip-lash or something.....that and getting old LOL. Anyway hopefully there will not be any more issues with the next Red Bull event this coming Spring. I hope that those of you that went to A2A had a great time!

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com