PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do with Old Skates & Stuff?

LezSk8
March 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Beside the obvious of letting it sit around collecting dust or throwing it away, what do you do with your old skates and skate stuff you've accumulated? I have 5 pair of skates and only use 2 or 3 and assorted tools, protective gear, etc. Do any of the race meets or club gatherings have successful swap or sell activities? I've seen a few online threads, but little activity. What do you forum users do?

LezSk8! :)

mvirtue
March 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Discarded outdoor wheels that have some life still, I give to kids on my speed team that would not otherwise buy outdoor wheels. I'm giving my old rec skates away to a co-worker who wants to try skating. I'm keeping most of my old speed boots to have for people to try. I'm keeping all of Madeline's boots for her sister and for other kids to try. It is hard for parents to justify a $300 outlay for kids to try speedskating so having something they can try on at practice and see if they want to do it is a good thing.

ncsk8rgirl
March 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM
some I save & the rest find new homes via eBay

mentally dull
March 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
there used to be charities who collected used (but usable) skates, and shipped them to developing countries. sorry, no time to google...

Alpha
March 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I have my old rollerblades stored somewhere so if anybody wanted to tag along with me and didn't have a pair, they could use those.

chuckboucher
March 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Old wheels usually hit the trash. Bearings I usually try to revive forever, until they can't spin at all.

Boots and frames I usually don't kill, so when I find something better, I sell the old ones on eBay.

As for my quads, I've had the same boots/plates/bearings for 4 years, since those never seem to change. I've only replaced the wheels once, because the original set got trashed.

motosk8ter
March 6th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I have this huge toybox full of skates, bearing, wheels and other stuff. Reading this thread just made me think...I guess its time!

Phil

ATFandSkates
March 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM
:) got a 5x90 in that toybox moto?

chuckboucher
March 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I've also been known to donate used wheels, bearings to skaters who might need the items and can't afford to replace the equipment that they currently have.

LaurieFlood
April 12th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I donated my Rollerblade Coyotes to a local hospice thrift shop. Good for the hospice - sure death for the purchaser. The moment I saw them, it was like, "There is no way I am going to try to skate from way up there!"

Still have 4 sets - 2 will get frequent use. The other two are for nostalgia and parts.

LezSk8
April 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the imput everyone. I've given boots, parts, wheels, etc. to skaters in need too and enjoy doing it. One was so encouraged with some donated wheels a few years ago, he not only continued skating, but recently got a Bont custom 3 point setup. (I'm so jealous! :D ) My first rec skates will be donated to a charity and probably end up overseas. A beatup pair of PS R4 boots will keep them company on the boat. Happy trails...

LezSk8! :)

dadofskater
April 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
now i know that there are problems overseas but i think there are problems here too. without getting too political, i think a good donation would be to your local boys/girls club. most of the kids there are from lower income families that would never have a thought about buying a kid some skates...