PDA

View Full Version : Xanadu Movie Reviews

Kathie Fry
August 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Our skating movie of the month for September 2006 is "Xanadu" starring Olivia Newton-John, the legendary actor and dancer Gene Kelly, and Michael Beck. Xanadu was the last movie ever made by Gene Kelly.

The film also features dancer Matt Lattanzi, Olivia Newton-John's former husband, and the father of her daughter Chloe. Olivia met Matt during the filming of Xanadu. He plays the young Danny McGuire (Gene Kelly's character) and later in the movie he is one of the dancers at the Xanadu Nightclub.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the movie Xanadu, or if you have seen it before, tell us what the movie is like and what you thought of it.

- Kathie

Kathie Fry
August 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Your local video store will probably rent or sell the movie Xanadu and you can also buy Xanadu at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IQW7/skatelognewsl-20).

-K

artisan555
August 31st, 2006, 12:46 AM
xanadu. yikes. the biggest budget skate movie of its time, and probably the worst. all i can really say is thank god for modern video technology. viewers can simply fast forward to the skating scenes.

having said that, the skating scenes are pretty poor. no great skating, the dance skating is pretty boring; but gene kelly does ok just from his professional enthusiasm (if u want to see gene really skate, look for a skate/dance scene in -i think- An American in Paris. Now that i've mentioned it; i'm not sure which movie it was in. . . hahaha). olivia nuetron-bomb obviously had only just learned to skate the week before they began shooting. look for places where they cut away to a stunt skater. . .

of interest: scenes of venice beach thirty-ish years ago. FASHIONS! yikes. big hair, aeorbic tights, head bands, hot pants (!!), neon. the art-deco movie theater which became xanadu. . . now the north-parking lot for the post-office and "the grove" on beverly blvd. . .

chuckboucher
September 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Only one review I can give on this movie...

Olivia Newton John looked HOT!!!!

And she's not looking too bad for someone close to 60.

JiMEE
September 2nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Is this the first monthly Skate movie being reviewed on this site?

Kathie Fry
September 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
<< Is this the first monthly Skate movie being reviewed on this site? >>

Yep! This is a brand new idea.

- Kathie

JiMEE
September 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
Please note that this if my first movie review ever, so it probably will not be well written.

First, I'd like to say that I did enjoy this movie. It has a nice story. It's on the surreal side, and is interesting. I won't give anything away about the story -it's not the greatest, but it is enjoyable.

The movie was made in 1980, so it has that eighties feel to it, which is nice. But it also blends in music and styles from the forties.

As far as skating goes, Olivia Newton-John (or her double - don't know), does some nice artistic style skating. It's nice to watch. Gene Kelly does some skating in the movie, but not a solo. I wouldn't call this a roller skating movie, but a movie that has roller skating in it.

Buy or Rent? The movie is definitely worth a rental. It's not expensive to buy at this time, so it might be better to just buy it. I don't regret buying it. I'll probably watch it one or two more times.

On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 as the highest), I'd give it a 7

rwsz
September 23rd, 2006, 03:55 AM
xanadu. yikes. the biggest budget skate movie of its time, and probably the worst. all i can really say is thank god for modern video technology. viewers can simply fast forward to the skating scenes.

having said that, the skating scenes are pretty poor. no great skating, the dance skating is pretty boring; but gene kelly does ok just from his professional enthusiasm (if u want to see gene really skate, look for a skate/dance scene in -i think- An American in Paris. Now that i've mentioned it; i'm not sure which movie it was in. . . hahaha). olivia nuetron-bomb obviously had only just learned to skate the week before they began shooting. look for places where they cut away to a stunt skater. . .

of interest: scenes of venice beach thirty-ish years ago. FASHIONS! yikes. big hair, aeorbic tights, head bands, hot pants (!!), neon. the art-deco movie theater which became xanadu. . . now the north-parking lot for the post-office and "the grove" on beverly blvd. . .

lol i remember skating on Venice beach when i was in cali on vacation, nice thongs for back then , lots of bikes and skaters, no inlines then just quads with outdoor wheels or indoor wheels as in my case, old saturn rollers, loved those wheels.

Rick

Jessica
October 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Ok, so I know this is really late, but I *finally* finished watching Xanadu. Yes, it's been sitting here for this long.

I really enjoyed it, but maybe that's because I dig 70's disco stuff and of course any movie that involves skating I'll instantly love. It was really, really cheesy, but cheesy enough to make it great. Does that make sense? I especially loved the sequence where the jazz and rock dancers merged together. The dancing was great and the outfits were bizarre. I was totally loving the one guy in the pink leotard. I wish people actually dressed like that.

unalaska
October 23rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Gene Kelly skates in "It's always Fair Weather", 1955 musical. He is pretty amazing skating around on steel wheel quads. When you watch him you wonder if he has some figure skating experience somewhere in his background.

chuckboucher
October 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
He definitely has some skating in his backgrouns, since he was pretty light on his wheels in Xanadu too.

Bill
October 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Kathie,
How about a list of monthly movies a few months in advance? It would be nice to know what movies are comming up and motovate me to increasing my collection. I'll have to dust off my copy of Xanadu just to catch up.
Bill

Bill
October 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Ok, so I know this is really late, but I *finally* finished watching Xanadu. Yes, it's been sitting here for this long.

I really enjoyed it, but maybe that's because I dig 70's disco stuff and of course any movie that involves skating I'll instantly love. It was really, really cheesy, but cheesy enough to make it great. Does that make sense? I especially loved the sequence where the jazz and rock dancers merged together. The dancing was great and the outfits were bizarre. I was totally loving the one guy in the pink leotard. I wish people actually dressed like that.

You might like the Stanford Marching Band, (I saw them Friday for the first time) They have been banned from all the games for their behavior, and they dress.... strangely. The way the Stanford football team is playing, maybe they should be banned from playing too :)

Bill

Carolyn
November 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I always request the Xanadu theme song whenever I skate. It is so great. I wish there was a real Xanadu. I want to skate there! It is a fantasy I've had for years now. Why, oh, why can't it be real?!

I watched "ATL" last week. Maybe it is too late to be the next movie. Was there an October movie? I didn't see one listed. I'd recommend "ATL" for the November movie if y'all haven't seen it yet. It doesn't have a great story either, but, ya know, if it has skating, it rocks. And this one does.

I agree the Chaplin "The Rink" was great, too!

rwsz
November 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Well, I just ordered the DVD on Amazon. I'm starting a Roller Skate Movie Collection. So far I have: "Kansas City Bomber" , the 2 "Rollerball" movies, & "Roll Bounce".

I'll post back with opinions after i watch the movie.

now if you want a better roller skating movie get Roller boogie,,,,good one for its time,,,,,,back then an art skater participated and then was ruled unelgible for amateur status and couldnt compete anymore,,,,it was a shame,,,,i think his name was like Jim Brady or something like that,,,cant remember,,,old age lol,,,,,also see ATL it has roller skating in it.

Rick

Hellion
February 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM

artisan555, Yep! you are right, I did not like this one or RollerBall 2

Kathie Fry
February 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Here is my review of Xanadu....
Xanadu Movie Review by Kathie Fry (http://www.skatelog.com/movies/xanadu-1980.htm)

- K

AzulojasATL
February 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Xanadu: ONJ is H O T! Nuff Said. I thought the movie was absolutely sad, but I could just sit and look at her for hours.

The only other "Skatemovie" I ever saw was skatetown usa when I was a kid. It was about 1/100th as good as Xanadu, and of course, did NOT have ONJ! Wasted time. I don't have time to watch movies anyway. Cuts in to my skating time!

Kathie Fry
February 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I moved some of the posts in this discussion to another thread so they will not be buried in the "Xanadu Reviews" thread. I moved them to this discussion:

Skating in the Movies (http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151)

- Kathie

pastskater
February 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I loved this movie. I am a true Micheal Beck fan and seeing him in this after the Warriors it was great. I have the DVD( The Warriors) and hearing him after all these years and his experience in acting was interesting as well.

I really loved the fun way they gave to sides of the music and skating styles rolled up in one. The music by Jeff Lynne was another added treat; along with Olivia Newton-John's singing and cameo of music talent with Sir Cliff Richard.

The days of old and the means of which Gene Kelly explained himself was with truth and some humor as Danny M. The idea of shooting back to the age of crooning and soliders was not to far from the truth.

So given the facts for skating in the film as well; it will always be a no brainer, fun and entertaining movie. I feel it is a pity there are not more out there like that these days.(Atleast for the younger generation)

pastskater

merlin
May 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Xanadu: So camp! So darn long!! Such an over-produced ending!!!

That movie is probably responsible for much of the negative attitude still directed at our sport, even 30(??)is years later.

But I still like it <shhhhh...>

Now, if only I could get hold of Skatetown USA. Saw it on TV in the 70's and would kill for a copy of it in PAL format today.

Bill
May 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM
...Now, if only I could get hold of Skatetown USA. Saw it on TV in the 70's and would kill for a copy of it in PAL format today.

Would this work?
http://missedmovies.com/order/product_info.php?products_id=208

Bill

merlin
June 1st, 2007, 03:25 AM
I'll ask them if they ship to Australia. Plus it's probably NTSC, not PAL...

Bill
June 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Xanadu: So camp! So darn long!! Such an over-produced ending!!!

That movie is probably responsible for much of the negative attitude still directed at our sport, even 30(??)is years later.

But I still like it <shhhhh...>

Now, if only I could get hold of Skatetown USA. Saw it on TV in the 70's and would kill for a copy of it in PAL format today.

I got a copy form here...
http://missedmovies.com/order/product_info.php?products_id=208

The quality of the video was poor, it looks like a VHS taped off a TV broadcast and then recopied a few times :(
It is poor a copy but it played in my DVD player. The sound track hissed a few times in the beginning of the movie, but it is pretty much watchable quality and seemed to improve slightly as the movie went on.

As a movie, I'd review it as a knock off a TV 70's sitcom. It was good for a few laughs and gags. The Babes and cool looking rink had me wishing for a better quality copy.

Bill

merlin
June 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks, I just got my copy from that site. Many thanks for the URL.

It's even cheesier than I remember it!!

smiller03
June 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM
SKATETOWN USA had its moments. Not a bad movie; scatterbrained at times. Patrick Swayze is an incredible skater and how can you miss an opportunity to see champion April Allen skating with him!
http://www.susan-a-miller.com/skate/sb_pics/aallen2_small.JPG