PDA

View Full Version : New Outdoor Quad Skating Subforum (set up August 2009)

Armadillo
August 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
OK, I have waited more than a half year for an Outdoor Quad Sub-Forum.
It still has not happened, so here goes the Outdoor Only Quad Thread.

The Idea is to cover most of the same topics as the main Quad Forum, but exclusively from the perspective of skating OUTDOORS.

- Show us pictures of your Outdoor Quad Skates
- Talk about your favorite Outdoor Quad wheels, and any new wheels discovered
-What are the priorities for building good outdoor Quad skates?
-How to build your own Quad Outdoor skate using athletic shoes.
-How much do your outdoor skates weigh?
-What bothers you most about Quads outdoors, and how to solve this.
-Dealing with bearing issues for Quads Outdoors

I'm sure many other good Quad Outdoor topics will also be posted.

Maybe if we can reach 1000 posts here, we can finally have our own sub forum, instead of just a huge thread. At least we will start to have all the important Outdoor info in one place. Then when new Outdoor skaters arrive at SLF, they can focus on one main thread to get up to speed.

I am going to be consolidating & re-posting here many of my more useful OUTDOOR Quad posts from the past. Sure hope it doesn't end up with my posts being the only ones here!

If this grows large, as I hope it will, having so much in one thread will be a challenge, but we can all take our search skills up a notch to handle it I'm sure!

-Armadillo

dvw
August 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I guess whining does work after all!! :tongue:

Kathie Fry
August 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
LOL, yes, sometimes whining can work, but in this case, the wishes of the group seem to have changed. In the past many of our quad skaters resisted having a separate outdoor quad forum, but now that seems to have changed, maybe because we have so many zilions of posts in the main quad forum.

Anyway...Welcome to to the new outdoor quad subforum and thank you Armadillo and Sk8Doc for helping to make it happen!

- Kathie

cliff
August 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I made my Bones as an outdoor quad skater 29 years ago, and though I now skate rinks as much as or more than outdoors, consider myself an outdoors man at heart.

Funny, I've never really dealt with the consensus here about equipment: forward mount, long plate, low-top boots, even sluggish plate action. I just skate with what I have, which has always been an art setup. I've never had problems with that, but perhaps have become hyper conscious of road debris.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is a dimension to outdoor quad skating besides tuning the equipment for the special surface conditions. My belief is that there is a different type of experience and mindset among outdoor quadders versus outdoor inliners. Ditto indoor quad/inline.

Maybe it is that outdoor quad skaters take a more leisurely approach than the inline people? Certainly, I've never gone very fast when skating outdoors. If I find a sweet stretch of pavement, I'll let loose, but mostly I like to explore and enjoy the scenery while at the same time making my trips an errand that accomplishes something.

Armadillo
August 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I made my Bones as an outdoor quad skater 29 years ago, and though I now skate rinks as much as or more than outdoors, consider myself an outdoors man at heart.

Funny, I've never really dealt with the consensus here about equipment: forward mount, long plate, low-top boots, even sluggish plate action. I just skate with what I have, which has always been an art setup. I've never had problems with that, but perhaps have become hyper conscious of road debris.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is a dimension to outdoor quad skating besides tuning the equipment for the special surface conditions. My belief is that there is a different type of experience and mindset among outdoor quadders versus outdoor inliners. Ditto indoor quad/inline.

Maybe it is that outdoor quad skaters take a more leisurely approach than the inline people? Certainly, I've never gone very fast when skating outdoors. If I find a sweet stretch of pavement, I'll let loose, but mostly I like to explore and enjoy the scenery while at the same time making my trips an errand that accomplishes something.

My outdoor skating focus is how fast can I go and sustain for distance.
Nothing beats good wheels to make that happen. High rebound urethane, big hubs 45-50mm, and large OD 65-70+mm.

-Armadillo

cliff
August 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM
My focus lately has been to lose weight. I found that I really start dropping the tenths of a kilogram when I skate at least a couple of hours and especially four hours. Kinda hard to manage outside of business hours and in dry, not-too-hot weather.

I don't flat-out much because the pavement just isn't here in Richmond. Or I'm more chicken than I used to be in 1980. There is a half-mile-circumference lake in town. Its surrounding sidewalk is skateable, but my main task is timing my steps to not roll over the seams in the concrete. Makes me very nimble doing dance steps to the beat in the rink. The automobile lane around the lake is rocky road.

roller_dudette
August 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I like to go fast on rollerskates!!

Focus, lose weight???? Not me!!!!! I'm boney. :redface:

This is neat to have an outdoor ROLLERSKATING forum. I never thought there would be an acceptable place to have skateboards strapped to your feet and people to be OK with it. I love my outdoor rollerskates! I still prefer to rollerskate boots though. I have the old oak street bauer boots. But one day I'll have a regular boot.

Armadillo
August 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I like to go fast on rollerskates!!

Focus, lose weight???? Not me!!!!! I'm boney. :redface:

This is neat to have an outdoor ROLLERSKATING forum. I never thought there would be an acceptable place to have skateboards strapped to your feet and people to be OK with it. I love my outdoor rollerskates! I still prefer to rollerskate boots though. I have the old oak street bauer boots. But one day I'll have a regular boot.

I too am so happy we now have our own sub-forum!

What boot features do you not get with your soccer shoe skates?
-Armadillo

GLiB
August 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I'm 38 years old, have 3 kids and have been skating a little over 3 months now. My wife joined the local derby team in January and I figured why not learn to skate? Get a little excerise, spend a little time w/ the wife, you know. I was hooked as soon as I started skating outside. The rink is fun but I can only go in so many circles. This is also a small area so we don't have much rink time either.

So needless to say I'm amped about the outdoor quad subforum!
Thanks!!:smile:

My equipment now is Riedell 265 boots w/ Powerdyne aluminum plates (I can't remember which model right now):redface: I am planning on building a pair of OD skates and I'm sure this subforum will be a priceless source of info.
Thanks in advance!:smile:

GLiB, Deep in the tall trees of No. Cali.:cool:

Armadillo
August 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I'm 38 years old, have 3 kids and have been skating a little over 3 months now. My wife joined the local derby team in January and I figured why not learn to skate? Get a little excerise, spend a little time w/ the wife, you know. I was hooked as soon as I started skating outside. The rink is fun but I can only go in so many circles. This is also a small area so we don't have much rink time either.

So needless to say I'm amped about the outdoor quad subforum!
Thanks!!:smile:

My equipment now is Riedell 265 boots w/ Powerdyne aluminum plates (I can't remember which model right now):redface: I am planning on building a pair of OD skates and I'm sure this subforum will be a priceless source of info.
Thanks in advance!:smile:
GLiB, Deep in the tall trees of No. Cali.:cool:

GLiB,
Welcome to the Quad Outdoor forum!
I miss my days in N Calif., living on Skyline Blvd. above Palo Alto near Old La Honda Rd.

Check out my recent posts on building lightweight (<1200 grams) outdoor skates using skateboard shoes.

-Armadillo