PDA

View Full Version : Plates?

GLiB
August 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Ok, Here we go... As I mentioned in a different post I'm building OD quads. It seems the logical place to start is plates. I would appreciate any reccomendations and or advise on choosing and mounting.

Thanks in advance, GLiB:confused:

Armadillo
August 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
GLiB,

Good info is a prerequisite for good plate advice answers.

How big are you? weight & foot size.

Where & how do you skate outside?

Quality of surfaces? Hills to handle?

Athletic shoe or skate boot preference?

$ budget?

Will you ever want room for >70mm wheels?

-Armadillo

GLiB
August 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
GLiB,

Good info is a prerequisite for good plate advice answers.

How big are you? weight & foot size.

Where & how do you skate outside?

Quality of surfaces? Hills to handle?

Athletic shoe or skate boot preference?

$ budget?

Will you ever want room for >70mm wheels?
-Armadillo
175 lbs. size 11 mens

This should answer the next three questions-
Nestled cozily in the deep deep north of California sits my favorite trail the Hammond Trail. A 5 plus mile trail linking Arcata and Mckinnleyville in Humboldt County CA created for hiking, biking, and equestrian use it is graced with wonderful ocean views, challenging hills, and 100s of cow plops.

The most challenging sections definately are on the northern and southern ends. On the northern end there is a section that is completely dirt for a few hundred yards of steep downhill. (Not fun on quads no matter what wheels you're wearing). The chosen way to avoid this is to get on the side of the 101 fwy, skate down the hill, (if you haven't skated down the side of a semi-busy freeway with the traffic coming at you at 65 mph you haven't lived!), jump the fence and get back on the trail where the pavement starts. Going up the hill is exciting too. At the southern end of the trail lies the Hammond Trail Bridge an old railroad bridge that spans the Mad River. Upon crossing the bridge going north you come to a section of road made up of broken concrete and dirt followed by an extremely steep uphill made up of not much better concrete and littered with cow plops affectionately known by the locals as Cow **** Hill. An awesome hill to bomb going south even if it is crazy rough. From there it levels out and it's a quick skate into McKinnleyville. The rest of the trail is super smooth and makes it's way through Redwood groves and parks with the northern most section passing sand dunes and ocean views.

Definately a skate boot.

I am not against spending money on something that will last.

I don't see the point in having small wheels.

Thanks in advance, GLiB

"Every lesson I gave I learned something new." Randy Rhodes

Iggy
August 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Sure Grip Marathon plates. I love my Marathons for outdoor and for indoor speed skating. Mount them with the front axle as far forward as you can get and the rear axle under your ankle.

cass38a
August 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Sure Grip Marathon plates. I love my Marathons for outdoor and for indoor speed skating. Mount them with the front axle as far forward as you can get and the rear axle under your ankle.

Agreed

Armadillo
August 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
The Sure Grip Marathon plate has the good feature of a wide top for good boot/shoe engagement, and has decent elevation from top of wheels.

Some not so good things:
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop! Bolt on option also exists.
2) plate is rather stiff and will pass most vibrations right up into your feet.
3) rubber pivot cups take a beating outdoors & need to be monitored/changed BEFORE metal-to-metal contact happens. They do help some ith vibrations though.

-Armadillo

Doc Sk8
August 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
The Sure Grip Marathon plate has the good feature of a wide top for good boot/shoe engagement, and has decent elevation from top of wheels.

Some not so good things:
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop! Bolt on option also exists.
2) plate is rather stiff and will pass most vibrations right up into your feet.
3) rubber pivot cups take a beating outdoors & need to be monitored/changed BEFORE metal-to-metal contact happens. They do help some ith vibrations though.

-Armadillo

The SG Marathon is NTS... You are thinking about the Dominion Marathon perhaps? There is also a version of that plate with a 5/8 toestop... Marathon 5.

Null Object
August 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop!

-Armadillo

This confuses me. Wouldn't a heel stop mean you need to stick you leg out past your centre of gravity in order to wedge the stop into the pavement?

So there is a chance where the stop could catch on a crack etc and jar your leg?

Another example would be running with a broomstick in front of you scraping along the ground. Anytime the stick could catch a crack and stab you in the guts. :D If you know what I mean.

Armadillo
August 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
This confuses me. Wouldn't a heel stop mean you need to stick you leg out past your centre of gravity in order to wedge the stop into the pavement?

So there is a chance where the stop could catch on a crack etc and jar your leg?

Another example would be running with a broomstick in front of you scraping along the ground. Anytime the stick could catch a crack and stab you in the guts. :D If you know what I mean.

By keeping your two rear wheels on the ground and raising just the front wheels, with your foot slightly forward, the brake comes into gradually stronger contact with the ground. This style braking is much more effective than dragging a toe stop behind you.

For strong fast stops you can squat down low and apply both heel brakes at once by leaning back to the rear.

-Armadillo

Armadillo
August 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
The SG Marathon is NTS... You are thinking about the Dominion Marathon perhaps? There is also a version of that plate with a 5/8 toestop... Marathon 5.

This is the Marathon that my web search gave me:

http://www.planetonwheels.com/store/Marathon-2-Plates-COMPLETE.html

I guess there is a nylon one too:
http://www.seskate.com/skates/qplate/Marathon4.htm

Both seem similar.
-Armadillo

Armadillo
August 26th, 2009, 01:31 AM
175 lbs. size 11 mens

This should answer the next three questions-
Nestled cozily in the deep deep north of California sits my favorite trail the Hammond Trail. A 5 plus mile trail linking Arcata and Mckinnleyville in Humboldt County CA created for hiking, biking, and equestrian use it is graced with wonderful ocean views, challenging hills, and 100s of cow plops.

The most challenging sections definately are on the northern and southern ends. On the northern end there is a section that is completely dirt for a few hundred yards of steep downhill. (Not fun on quads no matter what wheels you're wearing). The chosen way to avoid this is to get on the side of the 101 fwy, skate down the hill, (if you haven't skated down the side of a semi-busy freeway with the traffic coming at you at 65 mph you haven't lived!), jump the fence and get back on the trail where the pavement starts. Going up the hill is exciting too. At the southern end of the trail lies the Hammond Trail Bridge an old railroad bridge that spans the Mad River. Upon crossing the bridge going north you come to a section of road made up of broken concrete and dirt followed by an extremely steep uphill made up of not much better concrete and littered with cow plops affectionately known by the locals as Cow **** Hill. An awesome hill to bomb going south even if it is crazy rough. From there it levels out and it's a quick skate into McKinnleyville. The rest of the trail is super smooth and makes it's way through Redwood groves and parks with the northern most section passing sand dunes and ocean views.

Definately a skate boot.

I am not against spending money on something that will last.

I don't see the point in having small wheels.

Thanks in advance, GLiB

"Every lesson I gave I learned something new." Randy Rhodes

Your preferred path dictates a LONG plate FORWARD mount scheme.
For size 11 this would be an ~195mm Plate.
I would advise a SG Nova plate, but it tops out size-wize at ~190mm
A plate with a wide top at both toe & heel is best, so you can do a reverse mount if you like to have a heel stop. You might do better with 8mm axles too.
Wheels => Velocity Race 70mm (I have an extra set - PM me)

-Armadillo

Armadillo
August 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM

This is the Marathon that my web search gave me:

http://www.planetonwheels.com/store/Marathon-2-Plates-COMPLETE.html

I guess there is a nylon one too:
http://www.seskate.com/skates/qplate/Marathon4.htm

Both seem similar.
-Armadillo

wire1967
August 26th, 2009, 01:43 AM
These are the plates I think Doc is talkiing about. They were made by Sure Grip

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o406/wire1967/11b6_1.jpg

Armadillo
August 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Well my only question would be can you get them in a 195mm axle-to-axle?

They may be on the stiff side, but they look plenty strong, and you can't beat the adjustable pivots!

A powerful bolt-on heel stop would also likely work on those trucks.

-Armadillo

wire1967
August 26th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I can try and find out for you. They are hard to find haven't been made in years. I am getting ready to put these on my white redlines.

Armadillo
August 26th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I can try and find out for you. They are hard to find haven't been made in years. I am getting ready to put these on my white redlines.

They are for GLiB who started the thread
Armadillo

wire1967
August 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Ok I didn't think your skates looked that big :p

Kennedy
August 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM

That would be the one.

I have a bare set of plates without action. If I remember, they were around 7.5" when built up. I am pretty sure they came longer.

GLiB
August 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Are these Marathon 5's then? They look like they would work great. The closest thing I could find was these
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/3859354780_9cb18c2874_o.jpg
Are they the same plates w/ different trucks?Would the plate for a size 13 be around the 195mm length?:confused:

Thanks for all the help and info everyone!-GLiB:D

adam4584
August 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
no that just the marathon. marathon 5 is a different plate i believe.

Iggy
September 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I know this is a month old but.....

Well my only question would be can you get them in a 195mm axle-to-axle?

You can get 7 9/16" (192mm) and 7 7/8" (200mm)....but why would he? He only wears a size 11. I wear a size 11 and I have a 6 7/8" (~175mm) wheelbase and could go shorter. Unfortunately the next size down is too short.

They may be on the stiff side, but they look plenty strong, and you can't beat the adjustable pivots!

I have skated aluminum and, currently, magnesium Marathons. They are stiff, but not too much vibration at all on rough pavement. If you put softer cushions in them they'll soak up most of the vibration. And yes, they are a good solid plate and the adjustable pivots are very nice to have.

A powerful bolt-on heel stop would also likely work on those trucks.

Heel stop??? We don't need no stinkin heel stop. That would kinda defeat the purpose of getting a NTS plate :confused:

-Armadillo

I can't speak highly enough of the Marathons. They are a great solid plate, great action (stable, but they'll turn when and where you tell them too), adjustable pivots, NTS, light weight, and usually can be had for a pretty decent price. http://www.justskates.com/Sure-Grip-Marathon-Stopless-Skate-Plates.html

roller_dudette
September 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
My first pair of rollerskates were the dominions with marathon plates. They were an inch too long so they were perfect outdoor skates!! Those plates are very cheap yet smooth. I think probes and marathon plates are perfect for outdoors, unless the speed gets higher. All rollerskate plates get speed wobbles then. Then skateboard trucks all the way!! I am a toe stop person but the marathons with toe stops are dirt cheap, $30 or less. They also have longer axles which is perfect for the longboard style wheels.