PDA

View Full Version : Wheels, wheels and more wheels.

Mystic
August 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I think most of us would agree that unless your doing some sort of specialized skating (hockey, slalom, etc.) or are on a specialized surface (tennis court, basket ball court, etc.) and are doing normal street, sidewalk and trail skating you need a tall wheel.

So I thought this would be fun and informative. I've listed every outdoor wheel that is 66mm or taller. If I missed any let me know.

If you have used any of these wheels, post a full review.

Radar Fuel
Radar Echo
Radar Pure
Krypto Route 70
Boomerang
Velocity Race
Twister
Abec 11 Strikers
Blaze II
Blaze III

By request I've added some smaller wheels (64mm and 65mm) to the list.

Hyper Rollo
Sure Grip Motion
Roll-Line Hydrogen
Roll-Line Helium
Magnum

KRYPTO ROUTE 70 (70mm X 38mm 78a $50):
It's hard to go wrong with this wheel. It big and soft and provides a smooth comfortable ride on most any surface. However, because it's so soft and so heavy, it makes any real speed or agility difficult. They are perfect for casual street and sidewalk skating on ruff surfaces. If speed is important to you I would recommend getting a firmer lighter wheel.

On a side note if for an extra $50 or so you can get this wheel from USL Skate (http://www.uslskate.com/) with cool spinners attached.

VELOCITY RACE (70mm x 35mm 82a $40):
Another great wheel. It is firm and light with a large hub which makes it perfect for outdoor speed skating on relatively smooth surfaces. This wheel should be your first choice when speed and agility is important. Only down side would be because of it's firm thin urethane they are not suited for very ruff uneven surfaces. The wheel has also been discontinued so it may be hard to find.

Armadillo
August 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Mystic,

Since so many of the wheels marketed as "outdoor" are sized at 65mm, you might want to still consider them too, even though they are not very "tall".

I do have the Velocity Race 1st edition (stamped 78A) in the 65mm x 35mm size, and ,despite their thin 8mm urethane layer, I found them a little too slow on all but the rougher asphalt. Can't complain on the weight though @99 grams with bearings & spacers installed.

I also have the Twisters in both 65mm & 70mm, as well as the Velocity Race 2nd Edition in both 65mm and 70mm. The Twister 65mm remains my favorite for decent asphalt/concrete. They have just the right combination of enough softness, super roll/rebound, good grip, and because of their smaller 19mm bearings, are the lightest outdoor wheels you can get (combined weight wheel & bearing).

I am such a weight weenie, I just cant tolerate 70mm wheels all around. I did do some Hi/Lo tests with the 70mm in front and 65mm in rear. This setup, with the bigger wheels better handling whatever arrives at the front of the skate, while the smaller rear wheels just get dragged past everything as usual, does work pretty well. The 2.5mm taller front axle at front takes a brief adjustment.

I still have not skated my Boomerang 70mm/78A/35mm wheels yet. Just injured myself again and testing these remains on hold.

Anyone else want to test them a few weeks?

-Armadillo

Mystic
August 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I still have not skated my Boomerang 70mm/78A/35mm wheels yet. Just injured myself again and testing these remains on hold.

I'd loved to do that. I've been very curious about the Boomerangs.

GLiB
August 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Mystic,

-Armadillo

I realize I'm new here so I'm not sure how it works, but I would love the oppurtunity to skate any wheels any time. I skate outdoors almost everyday. Mostly streets and sidewalks, some good pavement some bad. There are a few bike trails we skate occasionally that are a bit more rugged. I have Riedell 265s w/ Powerdyne Dyna-Pro plates and use either the Kwiks that came w/ them or Reds. Basically it's a derby set up I guess and that's what I'll be using for reffing. Which is why I'm building an OD set up so any info I can get especially real world experience is invaluable.

Thanks in Advance. GLiB

Freckles
August 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Starting with the first wheels I used outdoors, through to most recent. Now, I'm not that great of a skater, and the outdoor surface I skate on most is a big old concrete (not polished, not smooth) roller hockey rink.

SureGrip Aerobics
- Well, these were my starter wheels so I didn't really have anything to compare them to. I found them a good wheel for starting on.

Dominion Precision (I think that's what these were called)
- I don't know if these are being made anymore. I believe they were a little faster but less smooth than the Aerobics (which leads me to believe that they were harder, but I don't know that for sure).

Boomerang/Blue Demons (I used these for outdoor derby practice, and used them indoors too when I was too lazy to switch up)
- Nice and fast, maneuverable. Not super smooth on rough surfaces and the height combined with the narrowness was a little weird to get used to, coming from smaller wheels. They have extremely wide hubs - the widest of any wheels I have seen, I believe. With most Riedell trucks, we've had to mount the wheel nuts upside down and/or use lock-tite to get them to stay. I had no problem with my skates because I have retardedly long axles on both my Dominion and Daw skates.

Old School Kryptonics (62mm, 78A)
- Love them, love them. They sure don't feel soft to the touch, but evidently they are 78A. You would think that these would feel slow because they are so soft and small, but I freaking love them. I found them way smoother than my blue demons (not quite as fast though), and way less work than my Pures. Super maneuverable.

Radar Pures
- I'd been dreaming of a gummy smooth outdoor wheel and got some for my birthday last year. Switched out my Krypto old schools for the Pures and found the Pures to require more effort for minimally more smoothness. For someone lighter (or whose mass is spread over a bigger foot than a Ladies 6.5), they would probably be fantastic. I know of a lot of skaters who really love them. I haven't skated the Krypto Route 70mm, but I understand that these feel similarly smooth and fast, but less heavy and "clunky".

Armadillo
August 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Boomerang/Blue Demons (I used these for outdoor derby practice, and used them indoors too when I was too lazy to switch up)
- Nice and fast, maneuverable. Not super smooth on rough surfaces and the to get used to, coming from smaller wheels. They have extremely wide hubs - the widest of any wheels I have seen, I believe. With most Riedell trucks, we've had to mount the wheel nuts upside down and/or use lock-tite to get them to stay. I had no problem with my skates because I have retardedly long axles on both my Dominion and Daw skates.

Radar Pures
- I'd been dreaming of a gummy smooth outdoor wheel and got some for my birthday last year. Switched out my Krypto old schools for the Pures and found the Pures to require more effort for minimally more smoothness. For someone lighter (or whose mass is spread over a bigger foot than a Ladies 6.5), they would probably be fantastic. I know of a lot of skaters who really love them. I haven't skated the Krypto Route 70mm, but I understand that these feel similarly smooth and fast, but less heavy and "clunky".

Thanks for the good info of your reviews.

A little confused on the Boomerangs when you say the "height combined with the narrowness was a little weird" and then say "They have extremely wide hubs - the widest of any wheels I have seen,".
Do you mean the distance between the bearings inside the hub was larger than normal? This usually means that hub is made to skateboard dimensions with a .400' spread between the bearings.

When you say - I haven't skated the Krypto Route 70mm, but I understand that these feel similarly smooth and fast, but less heavy and "clunky", are you comparing to the Radar Pures. Since the Pures are 66mm size, how can a Krypyo Route 70mm be lighter than a 66mm?

-Armadillo

Freckles
August 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Heya Armadillo!

I'm sorry for being confusing :)

1) Re: hub width on the blue demons. Yeah, it seems counter-intuitive that a fairly narrow wheel would have such a wide hub. It may be just what you say, that the bearing placement inside is set wider than usual quad wheels. That's very possible. They don't seem like skateboard wheels in any other way though. Just wide-set bearings, I guess?

2) Re: Krypto vs. Pures. Hahaha, wow, re-reading my post, I make no sense at all here. Sorry! I mean that the Pures are more maneuverable and lighter than the Kryptos. Again, this isn't from my experience (as I have not yet tried the Krypto 70's), but what I understand from girls with closer to my foot size is that they are fairly heavy and hard to get any precision of movement out of them. Have not heard the same feedback from men or other big-footed people.

Mystic
August 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
BOOMERANG (70mm x 35mm 78a $50):
This wheel surprised me in a lot of way. First off I had decided long ago to stop running 78a wheels. I found them too soft for any real speed. I don't know if it's the large hub, the thin urethane or the narrow width, but these did not feel soft at all. The odd part was they are very loud. The road noise is the loudest I've ever heard and as Freckles mentions the space between the bearings is very wide, so if you have short axles they might not fit. In short, they are no where near as smooth of a ride as the Kryptos and not near as fast as the Velocity Race. So if your looking for something in-between these could be ok.

I've been running these for a week now and the more I use them the more I don't like them. Not soft enough for a smooth ride on ruff surfaces and not high rebound enough for any real speed.

Mystic
September 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
There is no reviews for Fuel, Echo, Twisters or Heliums. I know two are reviewed in another thread. I was hoping we could get them all in one spot and find somebody to review the other two. Anybody?

Armadillo
September 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I have only skated these for 80-100 miles since I have been grounded.
They are identical dimensions & weight to Velocity Race - 65mm/70mm with 35mm width, 49mm 12-spoke hub, .400 bearing spacing, 19mm OD 607 bearings.
I had to buy skates to get my first set which was a Hi/Lo setup - done wrong with 65mm @front & 70mm @rear (the bigger wheels belong in the front outdoors).
I mounted them on my Nova plates with velcro attached skateboard shoes & with 70mm front/65mm rear proper scheme, skated outdoor asphalt and concrete for 10 miles, and they were best outdoor wheels I've ever rolled in. Previously, I was using Roll-Line Helium and Velocity Race (both the 78A & the SHR versions) , and these Twisters kicked their a--.

I immediately ordered another set of skates to get a full set of each size=> 70mm and 65mm. I let a friend who had been using Roll-Line Hydrogen try the 70mm and he could not believe how good they were either.

I skated the all 65mm set for a while, since it more fairly matched up with my other wheels => 64mm Roll-Lines & 65mm V-Rs. There is no doubt these Twisters rolled better & were only slightly harder at ~83A.
They did give me some occasional slip at the very end of a long hard stroke, but this was minor.

I also skated the all 70mm size setup, and performance was also super with slightly better roll and rebound, but I did not want the extra weight on my fast skates.

I could not find a way to contact Pacer to see if wheels could be purchased alone.
I called Roller Derby, but never got the promised call back from the president.

-Armadillo

Gle8
September 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I skated about 20 miles this weekend in pittsburgh. mostly on the sidewalk trail which involved varying terrain and lots of gravel. Let me say how much I love the VR-70s!

roller_dudette
September 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Just a heads up, hopefully getting my ABEC 11 wheels this weekend! I have about 2 weeks til my arm is really healed but I think I might have to "feel" them a bit beforehand, least in the kitchen lol. I know my opinion on the hardness probably wont apply to others, but they do have harder versions of these and I think these wheels will rock the world!! I'm so stoked on getting these, I feel ridiculously silly inside hahahaha! I'm sure I'll have a zillion miles on them in no time. :D Dang, I hope I dont wear them out! Or pull a muscle lol. :eek:

Armadillo
September 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Just a heads up, hopefully getting my ABEC 11 wheels this weekend! I have about 2 weeks til my arm is really healed but I think I might have to "feel" them a bit beforehand, least in the kitchen lol. I know my opinion on the hardness probably wont apply to others, but they do have harder versions of these and I think these wheels will rock the world!! I'm so stoked on getting these, I feel ridiculously silly inside hahahaha! I'm sure I'll have a zillion miles on them in no time. :D Dang, I hope I dont wear them out! Or pull a muscle lol. :eek:

I just looked at my new Laser Slider outdoor build and measured how big A wheel it can handle --- looks like 90mm is possible! Can you believe it?
I will look forward to your report on how well these new ABEC11 wheels work out for you, so post right away when you finally get to skate them.

-Armadillo

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/Emerica2Carbon/IMG_3714.jpg

roller_dudette
September 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wow, your set up makes me want to build another skate lol. Its fun!! But I love mine as is. Unfortunately I cant get the wheels til next weekend, sucks, but if I had them now I know I would be out sk8n. :redface: I have no self control lol....... But here is my summary on wheels as of yet. Just remember, I'm sure I'm half the weight or so of other sk8rs, but in general, what is ideal for me is about 4a below others ideal. So my 78a wheels probably would be the same as 82a to others.

Also note, I ride midtrack trucks so that means I can handle a center set wheels. Cool for me cause I find sk8board wheels handle much better outside then standard rollersk8 wheels. Also check out how others have gotten these lathed to fit rollersk8 trucks. I'm getting my ABECs lathed centerset still as my trucks are wide enough (3") and hoping to do some slalom cone sk8ing with the boarders too!!

aerobic, 85a - great wheels for starters! I loved them mostly for starting out on the ramps in an outdoor skatepark. But after awhile they tend to be sticky in hot weather on the skatelite. They carve well in bowls/ramps since they have a good radius on them. But they tend to not roll over bumps as well as larger wheels and are slow downhill then larger wheels. These also get pitted and wear much faster then other skateboard/longboard wheels I've ridden.

Kryptonics Route 70, 78a wheels - I love these wheels! They roll fast and over rough surfaces well. I've been rolling on them for over a year and they hardly wear. They are wide so I have to be more cautious not to clip wheels on my wide trucks. What I also dislike about them, they are solid and heavy like bricks. I have a lot of speed bumps in my area. Its a lot to lift jumping over those constantly. Unlike others, I do not find they ride like glue. I am light so they do not stick to the ground for me. They roll well for a super lightweight. Just heavy and wide. Otherwise these so far are my wheel of choice, no wheel comes close!! If I had normal trucks, I wouldnt have issues with the width, just weight.

Rainskates, 85a 58mm. These wheels have both great grip and great roll. Much better then aerobics which get sticky and these dont wear either. I love them for very rough skateparks like landsdowne. My negative, very fast on streets but not big enough to ride smoothly over really rough ground. Still able to roll over twigs, etc. OK, but not as well as 70 mm wheels. More maneuverable then kryptonics, so probably will like these better for cones, also slides better then kryptonics. Light weight. Why I dont care for these in outdoor skateparks, dont roll as well over the bumps from ramps to asphalt as well as even my hard 59-60mm wheels. Really, a mm makes a difference! Also very clumsy on coping tricks and turns since they are square/wide. So I like the hard wheels which dont stick at all best. I dont recommend these for streets, but I love the cockroach wheels best for skateparks, hard, skinny, fast, but not slippery. For normal people over 10, those would be too soft I'm sure.

Radar Energy - tiny wheels. They suck. I recommend these for kids who need a soft small wheel. Good maneuverability but slow, makes rough roads difficult.

When I get the ABECs, wont be bombing down hills or doing slides for a bit, but these should be better then all the wheels above for that. I am getting the 78a, too soft for others but should do well for me. I live in a low income area so roads here dont get the maintenance like others. Thats why I need a big soft wheel thats hopefully a lot lighter in weight, at least weighs less then I do lol.

roller_dudette
September 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
OK, I just picked up my ABEC 11 wheels. So far they look amazing!!!!!!! Its feels like winning the lottery, really. I'm so happy with them. :D:D:D:D I am not sure on weight but just a guess, maybe taking 1/2 lb. off a skate with these compared to the krypto 70mm. Tall skinny guys. Will make rollerskating with wider trucks MUCH more pleasant. I'm not that wide! Bet ya I can do cones with these! I hope to get a roll in before the rain, just wanted to grab one more cup of coffee, sorry, its my other addiction lol. I hope to post this evening with pics on how amazing they are. Just a little nervous they may feel tall. Not that this is normally a problem, but my dr. said my bone is still soft and can break right now. I'm putting a splint on but being close to the ground is kinda cool nowadays lol. I love being a SHORTY!!!!

yedaki_de
September 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi RD,

be careful, the wheels are fast at the first moment.
I am rearly convinced by the Flywheels.

I joined the Frankfurt wednesday night skaters. We skated 1h 45min in Frankfurt, mostly streets some bikepaths with a average speed of 20,5 km/h at the end. We were 7 skaters, I was the only quadskater.
One have to stand very save on the skates bec. of the traffic and the other obstacles like plaster, tram-rails...
I had some apprehensions before, no daylight, first time joining, not knowing the streets and so on.
But with the Flywheels no problem at all. I could keep up well and they rolled over all obstacles very fine.

So, you will enjoy you Flywheels, I'm pretty sure.

Johannes

roller_dudette
September 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Oh my, the flywheels are a dream come true!!!! I feel like the luckiest girl on earth. Really. I am very much in love with my rollerskates. I had the happiest roll ever on streets today!!!! :D:D:D:D

I dont think now inlines are ever needed outside unless you want to compete for speed. They roll fast, are very nimble, even could roll over PINECONES without being thrown at all. The long trucks help, but these are so much smoother then even kryptonics. I could easily do crossovers and everything even with the wide trucks due to the narrow wheels. Before I had to be more careful as at times my rear wheels would clip on occassion, not now. And it was extremely stable still. So now I dont ever need rollerskate trucks for fun, dancing around type of stuff I mean. I dont think there is a wheel out there better then these. They are fast. I would say 30% faster then krypto 70s, that dramatic! And I have in BSB bearings that are rather crunchy now. But they still turn and I have no income to spare. So I cleaned them up and its fine for now. I recommend REDS, much much better then BSB or abec rated bearings. I could so easily lift them so now jumping on sidewalks and off will be easy. But cant do that now nor did I try to slide them or bomb down hills. The krypos were so increadibly heavy!! It was a lug of weight to carry with those. And those were clumsy wide, not these!! I went a whole hour and it felt like 5 mins, I was that in love with them!! A lady walked by and she had to smile as mine was so big lol. :p So the secret of good outdoor quads, trucks under base of toe and flywheels!!

Also, I have kiro white bushings. They squeak. I was told by one to try armour all. I think that is oil free so wont degrade bushings. But those I think are softest bushings out there too? I have my trucks very loose the guy said. Works for me but if there were softer (lol) bushings, one day that might work well too. He said its uncommon for kiro to squeak. Guess I got an old pair.

I would recommend for others 82a ish as I dont weigh much at all but these were fine for me. I would even consider getting maybe the rear ones harder. I skate my weight on the rear wheels mostly. So thats where they might drag if you are heavier I think. Front wheels glided over everything object/hole thats 1/2" or less without even needing to adjust, that smooth. So perfect for any not too smooth road.

Here are my skates worth a trillion dollars to me! Please feel free to drool as I sure do lol. :biggrin: You almost cannot fall on these skates lol. Love them! I'm sure I am now easily entertained until my arm can handle more. I am also more a rollerskate addict as I still have half my cup of coffee here cold, couldnt wait lol. So these wheels hands down are 10 times better then anything else out there I have tried!! And looks like they will last for a couple years, I hope!

Here are my babies!

http://www.adinfinitum.de/forum/Vert-Skating/10966.jpg

roller_dudette
September 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Oh I also have in there 10x10mm spacers in them!!

yedaki_de
September 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I am glad you like the Flywheels and that they working well for you.
Your skates looking somehow like a mixture of a racing-truck and a formular 1 racing-car :wink:
The right tool for streets. But how is the weight?

Johannes

Armadillo
September 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I am glad you like the Flywheels and that they working well for you.
Your skates looking somehow like a mixture of a racing-truck and a formular 1 racing-car :wink:
The right tool for streets. But how is the weight?

Johannes

Lot of strange & interesting things in this build:
Whats going on with the toe cut away?
And the boot looks like originally it had a heel that was then replaced with a plywood one?
And the laminated aluminum-plywood-aluminum top deck?
And the PROTRUDING forward top deck?
ANd the bolt on aluminum socket for a toe stop?

Is all this stuff fully STREET CERTIFIED?

-Armadillo

roller_dudette
September 28th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hahaha, yeah I knew I would get flack on my set up. Its close to my vert setup and I dont like messing around too much as it works for me, WELL and I'm not messing with something close to perfect! I know I have one of the best skates around.

OK, first of all the weight. I know for a fact that I am the lightest/smallest/skinniest person on this forum. If I am wrong, I would be very happy lol. To do what I need to do now, these skates are not too heavy for me. And I am very skinny now so not much muscle on me. So they should be fine for anyone else. If you are racing, maybe it would be too heavy if your counting the seconds. But I am in it for FUN only. But for aggressive street skating they are perfect. Unfortunately, there are no fly weights that work well if you skate more aggressively. I could bomb down serious hills with these without speed wobbles, etc. if I wanted to. Rollerskate trucks have speed wobbles at higher speeds, I hate it. The weight got heavy with the heavy wheels. I do not notice much as far as weight with the boot, etc.

OK, boot. Not the best boot out there but for $5, I'm stoked! I got these and they came with the old oak street recreational plates that had a metal heel on the plate. So I built one out of wood as there would be no heel then. These are hockey boots and most hockey boots are designed considering the plate is made with a heel. I dont go for looks, I go for function. Its light and works well. I find I need a touch of heel on quads, but its a very low heel. They are too wide for me so I have like 3 insoles in them lol. Add weight yes, but LOTS of cushioning. They are not rigid boots like most hockey boots so I like that as it conforms to my foot. Most hockey boots are made for square feet it seems so my feet wobble around inside. And great ankle support for jumping off curbs and boxes and other aggressive skating stuff. I have never twisted an ankle on these. They conform to my feet and have a hard toe cap. I put gaffers tape on it for toe slides. If I do more aggressive stuff, I use also a toe guard on top but right now I am just cruising, NO aggressive skating til my arm heals!!!! I tape up all my boots as when I skate more aggressively, its very hard on my boots. They would not last but months if I did not. So far all my boots have lasted going on 2 years I think..... And still good!!

The plates are redrilled tracker plates. I have them on my vert skates also. These are balsa wood and sheet metal. The lightest plates you can have except probably skis would be better. These plates are strong and light and out of production. I am soooo lucky to have them!! They are actually 1/4" too long but I had to redrill holes and had to start from one set already drilled in the plate. But they make it almost impossible to fall. I find when I jump off things, its nice to have the wheels further back sometimes too. I think 14" is the highest I've jumped off with these and I've only fallen ONE time skating with these honestly lol. Exept ramps/bowls. Yes, I've even taken them on vert ramps. Just doesnt have a plate on them for stalls, etc. But I use these for Landsdowne and rough surfaces.

Yes, I use toe stops!! And VERY proud of it!!!! So no arguing for me. :D:D I have an attachment for the toe stop. Its not light. There are magnesium ones, I have them on my vert skates but I dont think an ounce or 2 will change the way these skate. I am actually very poor so thats why I tend to stick with what I have unless there is a GOOD reason to upgrade. The plate is forward as I find the optimal place for trucks is under the base of my toe. This way I dont worry about hitting stuff like twigs or going over cracks, hitting pens, bottle caps, etc. Its all in the truck placement so that takes away all my weight being up on the front trucks. I still have PLENTY of control over turns, etc. for outdoors. But this puts the stopper more forward, but still I can use it fine!! Get stuck in a bowl and stoppers become your best friend lol. Unless there is a cute skateboarder dude lending you a truck, then I try to smile and be cute lol.

The bases are plastic, lightest out there. The trucks are heavier then rollerskate trucks. They are 3" tracker midtrack trucks. I can go fast and no speed wobbles and VERY stable. There is no such a rollerskate truck that does this. It will also allow me to grind things if ever such an urge comes upon me. Sorry, it might.......so far its been OK. I'm trying to remember I'm old lol.

Bushings, khiro, white, the softest they make. Wish I could go softer lol. Will look into this one day.

Bearing, BSB. They suck but OK for outdoors. When I have money, I'll get some REDS. I dont think for streets more then REDS is needed.

Wheels, already noted.

If I could, I would cut a ski for the plate and use a good Reidell boot and magnesium stop holder, but otherwise its perfect. Actually, boots are heavier then I like, but very supportive and I dont find I need as much ankle movement for street stuff as I do skating ramps/bowls. I could never jump stuff like I do with skateboard shoes as my boots, I would sprain my ankle quick! I'm very short but abnormally lanky, especially now. My feet have very skinny ankles and heels. They need plenty of lateral support. Just cause I skate well on rollerskates does not mean I can balance well on one foot barefoot. There is a reason I hate inlines! I need a good base to stand on for good balance.

OK, hope I answered all the questions. I am a yapper lol.

roller_dudette
September 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Hey, thought I should point out that my outdoor skating style is more a retard on rollerskates as getting from point A to point B fast is not that important. I usually skate parking lots, back alleys and paths around lakes, bike paths/empty streets, etc. I try to skate it forwards, dance, sing with my earphones on, skate it sidestand/sideways, backwards, spinning around, while doing crossovers both sides, jumping on/off curbs, balance on my rear wheels only, chase cars, make up lame games with myself to see how far I can jump off curbs, or jump/spin 180, spin 360 in air or if I can do a handplant on a car or something retarded like that when I'm not injured. Dodge cones and come up with fun things to do around them. I bomb down hills as fast as I can and tumble into the grass when the ladys in strollers dont hear me. So its more like outdoor retard skating with no purpose but fun lol. So far what I do at least isnt illegal!! But I dont think a lightweight bont boot would work well for me!

Gero
September 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hey, thought I should point out that my outdoor skating style is more a retard on rollerskates as getting from point A to point B fast is not that important. I usually skate parking lots, back alleys and paths around lakes, bike paths/empty streets, etc. I try to skate it forwards, dance, sing with my earphones on, skate it sidestand/sideways, backwards, spinning around, while doing crossovers both sides, jumping on/off curbs, balance on my rear wheels only, chase cars, make up lame games with myself to see how far I can jump off curbs, or jump/spin 180, spin 360 in air or if I can do a handplant on a car or something retarded like that when I'm not injured. Dodge cones and come up with fun things to do around them. I bomb down hills as fast as I can and tumble into the grass when the ladys in strollers dont hear me. So its more like outdoor retard skating with no purpose but fun lol. So far what I do at least isnt illegal!! But I dont think a lightweight bont boot would work well for me!

Seems like the same style I use while skating...:biggrin:

roller_dudette
September 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hahaha, thought I was the only one who gets "distracted" while going someplace. Sometimes you just find a good spot and/or fun trick to practice. :D

Hey, I know I"m probably getting to the point of being annoying, but these wheels are so amazing and FAST! Get a little hill, talk about ripping it up. It makes me feel like a super hero of sorts. So fast, so smooth, very maneuverable, light (compared to kryptos definitely!) I am having so much freaking fun on these rollerskates, it should be illegal (not!) If I can feel comfortable with my splint on doing so, might make a movie of me cruising so you can see how fast I can go and what these wheels can easily roll over. But I think carrying the camera will make a crazy bumpy video. I was chasing my shadow today and couldnt win lol. But still, I'm the fastest person on rollerskates I think lol.

Clarkeperformance
October 4th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Currently available

Radar Pure The last wheels I skated. Loved em. Smooth non jarring ride. Never left me wanting for speed. Did not cone wear. I knew when my bearings needed service from glide change. Have not bought another pair because they failed with big chucks coming of the inside edge of the wheels. 1st pieces less the 40 miles on them. Finally retired them when I could not stand the bump bump thud thud fee of the less the perfect wheel.

Kryotnics Route 70 They are nice and the thane matches my skate style and the surfaces I skate well but they just leave me wanting the old kyptonics with the large inner hubs such as Road Runner. I will buy another pair of Radar Pures before I buy these again.

Not Currently Available

HyperMundo 90 or 84mm?? If I saw them again I would buy them. A little to big for my setups when leaning hard but I could care less. Skated them for a long time. Had to be attentive to rotate them regularly. When all 8 looked like cones I finally retired them. By then they where quite a bit smaller then when new.

Hyper Witch Doctors I do not know if these where intended to be outdoor wheels. The ones I had were big but hard. I knew my bearing needed service because I could feel every bit of grit. And every crack, stone, ant, grain of sand. They were not fast either! Just a rough bumpy ride.

Kryptonics RoadRunner Wore out several pairs of these and their predecessors. Memory says they compared favorably with the Radars; however to much time and wheels between them to be confident of that

Kryptonics Krypto Project II This is what I am Skating on now. Purchased years ago they where stashed nearly new in my box of stuff. Because they are Heavy Rough Riding wheel that I have no love for. I should have thrown them away the first time I took the off.

220 pounds 6' tall dance rec skater.

John

Rogzilla
October 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I recently got a couple of sets of skate wheels as a result of an eBay transaction. I was going to try them outdoors when the weather gets nicer but it doesn't hurt to ask first:

Airiders - Hubless solid, narrow wheels, with "AIRIDERS" embossed on the inside. Did Google searches for them, found nothing. Anyone know what these are?

Kryptonics Route 59s - From what I can tell these are skateboard wheels, they were on a pair of roller skates but they had metal hubs, looked pretty solid.

Anyone used these for quad skating outdoors?

Armadillo
October 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I recently got a couple of sets of skate wheels as a result of an eBay transaction. I was going to try them outdoors when the weather gets nicer but it doesn't hurt to ask first:

Airiders - Hubless solid, narrow wheels, with "AIRIDERS" embossed on the inside. Did Google searches for them, found nothing. Anyone know what these are?

Kryptonics Route 59s - From what I can tell these are skateboard wheels, they were on a pair of roller skates but they had metal hubs, looked pretty solid.

Anyone used these for quad skating outdoors?

I have not heard of or seen those. 59mm is too small for a good outdoor quad skating experience. You can still skate them, but you will not hold speed with them.

Good outdoor wheel needs to be:
1) High rebound formula
2) Big Diameter (>64mm)
3) Big hub size (small hub or no hub wheels tend to be too mushy)
4) ~33-38mm width
5) Hardness 78A-85A

-Armadillo

Poobah
February 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I bought a set of Sure-Grip Motions, mainly because it'd probably be more fun to skate with the girls in the St. Patty's Day parade instead of "marching." And they're green, which works with the holiday and our league colors, heh.

We have this backup rink that has a fairly irregular (but grippy) surface. One night I decided to put on my outdoor wheels. I figured that their softness might smooth out the various flaws in the floor. And make me skate a fair bit harder.

Note: They did grip, no slide at all. But MAN, I felt every flaw in the floor. Which made me wonder if these outdoors were any good. I started to wonder if maybe one or more of my bearings had a dust guard rubbing or something and I was feeling THAT. After about 45 minutes to an hour of that, I took 'em off and put my green Fugis back on. The wheels didn't really feel any harder, and in fact I think the ride was smoother.

Later on I noticed I could peel a bit of something off the bottoms and sides of the Motions. I wondered if perhaps this was the sealant wearing off? If these wheels are not going to have the level of softness I'd need, I'd better get something different before St. Patty's and find someone to sell/give these to.

Armadillo
February 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I bought a set of Sure-Grip Motions, mainly because it'd probably be more fun to skate with the girls in the St. Patty's Day parade instead of "marching." And they're green, which works with the holiday and our league colors, heh.

We have this backup rink that has a fairly irregular (but grippy) surface. One night I decided to put on my outdoor wheels. I figured that their softness might smooth out the various flaws in the floor. And make me skate a fair bit harder.

Note: They did grip, no slide at all. But MAN, I felt every flaw in the floor. Which made me wonder if these outdoors were any good. I started to wonder if maybe one or more of my bearings had a dust guard rubbing or something and I was feeling THAT. After about 45 minutes to an hour of that, I took 'em off and put my green Fugis back on. The wheels didn't really feel any harder, and in fact I think the ride was smoother.

Later on I noticed I could peel a bit of something off the bottoms and sides of the Motions. I wondered if perhaps this was the sealant wearing off? If these wheels are not going to have the level of softness I'd need, I'd better get something different before St. Patty's and find someone to sell/give these to.

Search Ebay for "Velocity Rage" you cant get a better wheel or a better price for a decent wheel. If you have 7mm axles, you will need 8mm x 7mm sleeves, or you will need a replacement set of 607 bearings 7mmx19mmx6mm VXB Link => http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bearings&Product_Code=607ZZ20&Category_Code=
-Armadillo

Gero
February 12th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hey Armadillo,

I've checked ebay and found them for a nice price of 44 bucks but the seller just deliver to USA, not Europe...:mad:

Is anybody interested to buy them for me and forward them to me?
Sure... I will pay for it!:wink:

Cheers from Germany

Gero

missgeorgieo
March 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hey. I'm wanting to get a nice set of outdoor wheels in time for spring & eventually sort a proper outdoor setup for myself. I've been thinking about the Velocity Race wheels, but can't find where to get them from (found a seller on ebay, but they don't post outside USA/Canada). Does anybody know if they're available in the UK?
Also I'd appreciate any general advice on a setup generally for a 105lb girlie on park paths (mostly tarmac). Thanks very much ;)

Mystic
March 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
The VR and great if it's smooth. The Krypo 70s if it's rough.