PDA

View Full Version : Start up as an outdoor skater

mvladivostok
January 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hello there,

I've been following this forum for a while, trying to soak in some of your expertise (Armadillo, you're famous! :smile:).

Anyway, at age 36 I decided to finally start skating (Aug'09). Ignoring the advice of practically all my friends, I went for quads instead of inlines. Call it insanity, I call it love! In my mind, skating would always be outside - weather permitting, of course. Knowing little or nothing about skating, I basically bought the first cheap pair that I came across, just to get a feel for it. These were it:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/492/skating1.jpg

As most of you would agree, these were NOT good outdoor skates. Even the smallest of obstacles (small holes, stones, etc) would result in a 50% chance of kissing tarmac. Plus, following the advice of the seller, I went for a size up - BAD choice, as my foot kept dancing inside them. Still, they were good for starting up.

A month ago, I finally invested in a better pair. Chose a boot that would fit me perfectly, with good ankle support, and took it down to the best skate shop in town, where they mounted the plate and the all the rest.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8681/skating2.jpg

There is no comparison with the first pair. I can now put pressure on my toes, knowing that there's something underneath them! Judging from the pics in this forum, I'm guessing it could still have been mounted a bit more forward - but I probably didn't choose the best shoes, as they are not completely flat, so that was as forward as they could be mounted.

Any comments/advice are welcome! :)

Nellie
January 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Wow, I think they look great - the only thing that could possibly be improved are the wheels: you could go bigger. I really envy you, because . . .
a) you can probably speak French and understand everything on http://www.rollerquad.net/, the coolest quad forum there is (apart from this one, of course) and . . .
b) you can go to Hawaiisurf in real life and not just virtually (as I do). Moreover . . .
c) Paris has the best slalom quad skaters.
Have fun with your new skates!!

Btw. I'm also the only quad skater among my friends :)

wired
January 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Any comments/advice are welcome! :)

Cool skates!

A couple of thoughts...

Wheels: Personally I like large soft wheels for outdoor. Krypto Route 62mm, 65mm and 70mm are a good wheel in current production. Velocity Race 65mm and 70mm can be found by searching for "velocity rage" on eBay. I like 70mm since it gives the smoothest ride. The Kryptos are a smoother ride than the Velocity wheels because they are heavier.

Plate: I'm over 200 lbs so plastic plates tend to be a little flexible. It isn't a big problem for me but if you are into some type of skating that demands precision ,metal plates may be a better choice. As Armadillo has pointed out front stoppers are just about worthless on a outdoor skate. He has pioneered (at least around here) the practice of mounting the plate backwards. This serves two functions. First it gives to a heal break and second it allows a more forward mounting of the front wheels. The further forward the front wheels are mounted the less likely an obstacle will cause a fall.

Mount: At the least cut down those protruding bolts (front ones in the picture, can't see the right rear) before using larger wheels. Armadillo promotes a glue mount which could work well for you. I usually use t nuts in the shoe sole and button head cap screws on the plate to give a nice flush mount. As wheel sizes increase it is important to remove hardware that might contact a wheel during turns.

Enjoy you new skates!

mvladivostok
January 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys!

wired: many thanks for the wheels suggestion. I definitely should check out bigger sizes - practically everyone in Paris uses inline stakes, so the choice for quads in the shop was quite small - only 62mm wheels, three or four different models. Would you always stay with 78A when skating outdoors? How much of a difference would it make to switch to 80A?

Wow, I think they look great - the only thing that could possibly be improved are the wheels: you could go bigger. I really envy you, because . . .
a) you can probably speak French and understand everything on http://www.rollerquad.net/, the coolest quad forum there is (apart from this one, of course) and . . .
b) you can go to Hawaiisurf in real life and not just virtually (as I do). Moreover . . .

Thanks Nellie!

a) I actually checked the rollerquad forum, but never managed to register - keept telling me my e-mail addresses are banned (it's even harder to register than this one! :D). The articles are great, though.

b) Shame on me, I actually never went to Hawaiisurf, as it's a bit out of town already. But I'll probably go there within the next few days, if you need me to check out anything, let me know.

c) I'll write up a quick post about my experience with Paris street skating soon. :)

wired
January 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Would you always stay with 78A when skating outdoors? How much of a difference would it make to switch to 80A?

I doubt anyone can tell much difference between 78A and 80A in outdoor skating especially if mixed surfaces are involved. You can find a 2A variation between wheels in the same set.

Armadillo
January 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
mvladivostok,
I can see how you would find the new build vastly superior to the old one.
I don't think the front axle needs to be more forward than it is already.
The plate is excellent for handling bigger wheels, which is where you want to focus your attention. The flat sole of these shoes is good too. How stiff are these soles? Do they flex much when tilting plate to the max?

If you like skating fast, I advise getting TWISTER wheels that come with some models of Roller Derby brand skates that are sold in European stores & online. They are only sold bundled with several of their cheaper model skates, but they are so good it is worth buying the skates just to get the wheels. Velocity Race ("Rage" on Ebay) are almost as good, but their green color wears out my eyeballs.

If better braking is a concern, consider getting at least one clamp on heel brake. Other than those black wheels you are now rolling with some serious outdoor quad style!

-Armadillo

Gero
January 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hey mvladivostok,

nice that you started skating again, Paris is a beautiful location for it! :smile:
I believe I should come to visit the Paris Roller in the summertime.

Choose the wheels best that fits to your weight, if you are not so heavy 78a wheels with a diameter around 70 will give you the best skate, if you are more heavy (like me) with over 90kg or 200lbs, you should try a little harder wheels between 80 to 85a. This gives you the feeling not to loose to much speed because of the weight.

If you are interested in buying a set of Kryptonics Route 70 wheels which will give you a soft and smooth ride send me a PM, I have 2 sets of them and could sell one.

Cheers from Paderborn, Germany

Gero

CrazeeDave
February 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM

I tried the rollerquad site...my French sucks...need the translatethis page.....lol.

Good to see you didn't fall to the peer pressure of inlines. Quad is a good choice and for many excellent reasons. Quads are my preference mainly for stability. A wider stance obviously allows one to land spins, flips & other tricks that if performed on inlines would not only look awkward but probably become a Hospital visit.

Now where did I hide that French-English dictionary? :)