PDA

View Full Version : Velocities are here

Iggy
March 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Just got a set of the 70mm Velocities off of the 'bay. Holy fast shipping Batman. They shipped out from Texas Friday and got here to Pittsburgh this afternoon :eek: Can't wait to get home and see if they'll actually fit lol Plus I still gotta make a trip to Mars for some 607 bearings.

Armadillo
March 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Were you able to get the 70mm in black, or just the same old green?

I got some 65mm black ones with gray hubs last week and was SO glad to have a change of color finally!

-Armadillo

Iggy
March 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
I got the green ones. Which is good cause those are the ones I wanted. I'm a fan of blindingly bright colors :D

Man these things are like freaking Superball urethane or something lol I've never seen a wheel this bouncy. I can't wait to try them out.

They are going to be a tight fit on my Marathons though. I put them on one of my skates and put the skate on and flexed it in my kitchen and they definitely rub the boot if I get too deep into an edge. I didn't skate around on them since they're 8mm bearings on 7mm axles.

Fresh Eddie Fresh
March 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
I got the green ones. Which is good cause those are the ones I wanted. I'm a fan of blindingly bright colors :D

A man of my own heart!

Those are great wheels! Mine have quite a few miles on them, and now that the weather is getting nicer will probably be put to use quite a bit some more on the bike path! :)

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/27/l_98b1234e144b42858b9d358484d605fc.jpg

Iggy
March 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Those are sweet FEF. I got a pair of soccer cleats to mount and try indoor and outdoor. If I like the soccer shoes for outdoor I think I might have to get a pair of these to go with the new wheels :D

http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/12454.JPG

Fresh Eddie Fresh
March 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Those are sweet FEF. I got a pair of soccer cleats to mount and try indoor and outdoor. If I like the soccer shoes for outdoor I think I might have to get a pair of these to go with the new wheels :D

Sweeeeeet! I have to confess I find myself fondling soccer cleats at the store all the time. There are so many nice ones out there and they are super cheap!!

sauhamm
March 23rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
endless.com

check the sale section for athletic shoes - tons o soccer shoes for the low :)

Iggy
March 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Sweeeeeet! I have to confess I find myself fondling soccer cleats at the store all the time. There are so many nice ones out there and they are super cheap!!

Hells ya lol And the best part is a lot of them match the wheel colors better than most of the skate boot colors do lol

I'm anxious to get my shoes mounted and try them outside. I'm guessing the urethane outsole should dampen some of the road vibration. That coupled with the bouncy ball wheels should make these things skate like Cadillacs :D

Snarf77
March 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691/4295971639_5fc51323b5.jpg

Soccer shoes for the win! So comfortable in calf leather. Clearance at the local soccer shop for $40.

Armadillo
March 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, the soccer shoes have many things going for them - lightweight (especially after you grind off all the cleats), good heel grip, ankle area clear for flex, strong lateral support. I only worry about the sole padding with them. For 10-20 miles they aren't as good as the heavier BB shoes are for cushioning the vibrations. Until I saw these green soccer shoes, I never much liked the Velocity Race green color, but matched up with those shoes really changes my opinion!

Enjoy the spring!
-Armadillo

Nellie
April 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
+1 on the colour! Wish I could get them in Europe!!
A man of my own heart!

Those are great wheels! Mine have quite a few miles on them, and now that the weather is getting nicer will probably be put to use quite a bit some more on the bike path! :)

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/27/l_98b1234e144b42858b9d358484d605fc.jpg
Beautiful skates, Fresh Eddie Fresh :biggrin:!

cojaco61
April 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
+1 on the colour! Wish I could get them in Europe!!

Beautiful skates, Fresh Eddie Fresh :biggrin:!

Hey if you are in Europe, have a look at the Patrick Soccer Boots, used those in the past and they are very good.

Not available in Australia anymore, well not that I have found anyway.

Iggy
April 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Finally got to roll around on these yesterday. Put some 607 NMB bearings in them from Doc. I didn't get to put a whole lot of distance on them but from the little skating I did I can only think of one word to describe these wheels.....FAAAAAAAA-NOMINAL :D I didn't wanna go in the rink for practice. I just wanted to keep skating these outside the rest of the evening. The only other wheels that I've skated outdoor was my Roll Line Hydrogens and they were very nice, but the Velocities blow them away. They are super smooth and roll forever. I'm sure the roll is also a product of the bearings, but still with being a softer wheel I would think they would still slow down more. At one point, I gave a little push and coasted for a good 50 to 60 yards til I turned around and they where still not stopped rolling. They were rolling very slow by that point, but still rolling. These wheels/bearings feel like they will roll forever. They handled the smaller pebbles and gravel quite well. I did hit one rock that stopped them initially for a second, but they kicked the rock outta the way and kept going. As far as weight, they really aren't heavy at all for their size. My soccer cleat/white Marathon setup doesn't really weigh anything to begin with, but these wheels didn't weigh them down any.

As for the soccer shoes, well I'm sold on these things. I don't think I'll ever pay the hundreds of dollars for a skate boot again. These things are absolutely amazing. Even with the stiff plastic insole the vibration was extremely minimal to nonexistant depending on the road conditions. I could easily spend a few miles in these comfortably.

These wheels even skate good indoor. I went right in to the rink for our speed practice and went right on the floor with these wheels on. I expected them to be slow and bog like mad, but they were amazing. Of course they were slower than a harder indoor wheel, but for how soft they are they still rolled amazingly well.

Now my question about the roll.....is that attributed to the 70mm size, the smaller bearings, the quality of the bearings themselves, or a glorious combination of all those factors?

Armadillo
April 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Finally got to roll around on these yesterday. Put some 607 NMB bearings in them from Doc. I didn't get to put a whole lot of distance on them but from the little skating I did I can only think of one word to describe these wheels.....FAAAAAAAA-NOMINAL :D I didn't wanna go in the rink for practice. I just wanted to keep skating these outside the rest of the evening. The only other wheels that I've skated outdoor was my Roll Line Hydrogens and they were very nice, but the Velocities blow them away. They are super smooth and roll forever. I'm sure the roll is also a product of the bearings, but still with being a softer wheel I would think they would still slow down more. At one point, I gave a little push and coasted for a good 50 to 60 yards til I turned around and they where still not stopped rolling. They were rolling very slow by that point, but still rolling. These wheels/bearings feel like they will roll forever. They handled the smaller pebbles and gravel quite well. I did hit one rock that stopped them initially for a second, but they kicked the rock outta the way and kept going. As far as weight, they really aren't heavy at all for their size. My soccer cleat/white Marathon setup doesn't really weigh anything to begin with, but these wheels didn't weigh them down any.

As for the soccer shoes, well I'm sold on these things. I don't think I'll ever pay the hundreds of dollars for a skate boot again. These things are absolutely amazing. Even with the stiff plastic insole the vibration was extremely minimal to nonexistant depending on the road conditions. I could easily spend a few miles in these comfortably.

These wheels even skate good indoor. I went right in to the rink for our speed practice and went right on the floor with these wheels on. I expected them to be slow and bog like mad, but they were amazing. Of course they were slower than a harder indoor wheel, but for how soft they are they still rolled amazingly well.

Now my question about the roll.....is that attributed to the 70mm size, the smaller bearings, the quality of the bearings themselves, or a glorious combination of all those factors?

Iggy,
We may agrue on outdoor built tactics, but on these wheels we totally agree - fabulous. As I posted elsewhere, they ase so good they make you want to cry for the joy they bring to the outdoor skating experience.
I own several sets of the 65mm too and they also roll super well, especially on the smoother asphalt and concrete. They feel slightly harder because the urethane layer is thinner (same 49mm hub), plus they are SOOO light! (99 grams for wheel+bearings!). So, for rougher surfaces the 70mm ride smoother, but for smoother surfaces the 65mm ride faster. That's why I can't live without having BOTH SIZES, and I DO!

-Armadillo

FarmTruk
April 13th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Iggy...I just have to say, your avatar is freakin' awesome, man!

:D

...now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Iggy
April 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Iggy,
We may agrue on outdoor built tactics, but on these wheels we totally agree - fabulous. As I posted elsewhere, they ase so good they make you want to cry for the joy they bring to the outdoor skating experience.
I own several sets of the 65mm too and they also roll super well, especially on the smoother asphalt and concrete. They feel slightly harder because the urethane layer is thinner (same 49mm hub), plus they are SOOO light! (99 grams for wheel+bearings!). So, for rougher surfaces the 70mm ride smoother, but for smoother surfaces the 65mm ride faster. That's why I can't live without having BOTH SIZES, and I DO!

-Armadillo

Hey Bubba, you skate what you skate, I skate what I skate, and we all love it lol :wink: These wheels are spectacular though. I think you're right about the high rebound. They're soft enough that they're smooth as h-e-double hockey sticks on the road but the "bounciness" from the high rebound make the roll like a harder wheel....if that make sense lol Whatever it is, I likes it :D

Iggy...I just have to say, your avatar is freakin' awesome, man!

:D

...now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

lol Thanks. I do what I can :D