PDA

View Full Version : Helmet and pad suggestions needed....

BananasRUS
May 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I am in need of some helmet and pad advice. I will not be skating aggressively, but I also do not want to get injured, either. I will be skating quads outdoors and I would like any advice or suggestions on good choices for helmets and pads. Just FYI...........I am 43, weigh 180 pounds, have been skating for 35 years and I am in pretty decent shape, I would like to think. :smile:

It seems that wrist guards are really important, too. Any advice on styles or good brands to be on the lookout for?

Also, do I need both knee pads and elbow pads? It seems knee pads are the more important of the two............any advice on these, as well?

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Iggy
May 6th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Giro helmets are very nice and certain styles are pretty inexpensive. That's what I have and pretty much everyone on our speed team has too. You can get them at any Dick's and probably most bike shops.

As far as knee/elbow pads and wrist guards, I don't wear them. Not saying you shouldn't, but I don't know much about them since I don't use them. You might get some good info on knee and elbow pads in the Roller Derby forum.

BananasRUS
May 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Giro helmets are very nice and certain styles are pretty inexpensive. That's what I have and pretty much everyone on our speed team has too. You can get them at any Dick's and probably most bike shops.

As far as knee/elbow pads and wrist guards, I don't wear them. Not saying you shouldn't, but I don't know much about them since I don't use them. You might get some good info on knee and elbow pads in the Roller Derby forum.

Thanks, Iggy, for the quick response! :biggrin: I have looked at the Derby forum, too, and I just want to make sure I get the right products!

Bill in Houston
May 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
You definitely want wrist guards, I think.

In my opinion, you definitely want kneepads. Who wants torn up knees every time they stumble?

If you are going to fall a lot, get derby-grade kneepads. If you are only going to fall every now and then, regular fitness kneepads ought to do it.

Rollerblade Lux and K2 Exo pads are generally well regarded among fitness skaters.

I think that elbow pads are overkill unless you are playing hockey or derby, or are learning to skate backwards.

BananasRUS
May 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
You definitely want wrist guards, I think.

In my opinion, you definitely want kneepads. Who wants torn up knees every time they stumble?

If you are going to fall a lot, get derby-grade kneepads. If you are only going to fall every now and then, regular fitness kneepads ought to do it.

Rollerblade Lux and K2 Exo pads are generally well regarded among fitness skaters.

Thanks, Bill, for the information! I have heard from other sources about those two brands, so I will add them to my list.

Just FYI........ I have not fallen in 20+ years :), and of course, I don't plan to ever fall(who does? :rolleyes:) But, as I get older, there is more of a chance that I might, and if I do, then any injury, especially a broken bone, will not heal nearly as fast.

I will definitely get a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads. The elbow pads might be a bit much for me, though.