PDA

View Full Version : Plan B

Iggy
July 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Ok. I posted before that I was gonna put my Omegas on my Risport boots for outdoor. Well, I was looking at all my skate stuff spread out over my workshop/dining room table and got to thinking.....

I decided the Risport boots, being a very stiff boot, may be better suited to indoor speed coupled with my Mag Marathons. And since I plan to get new cleats and a DA45 something eventually for a new session build, that would leave my Adidas cleats sitting sorrowfully alone. So, since I love the Adidases (or however you pluralise Adidas) for outdoor, AND the green Velocities match the green stitching on the shoes almost perfectly (bonus :D), then my Adidaseseses should become my outdoor boot. So I got my Omegas mounted to them this afternoon (well one of them. I need to get some more screws at Lowes tomorrow to mount the other one).

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/iggymcd/f227f848.jpg

I put this one on and rolled across the kitchen to make sure it was square and oh wow did they feel good. I gotta get the other one mounted tomorrow morning cause me and my girlfriend are going to Deep Creek Maryland to skate around the lake tomorrow and I HAVE to try these out :D

cass38a
July 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Nice Aussie mount (and microwave):D

Iggy
July 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you (and thank you :D) I was hoping these might get me a little Aussie love. I just got the other one together and we're heading out in a few minutes. I really can't wait to try these :D

MFND
July 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
HOT! Love the Adidas cleats more than anything else due to the simple clean look. Get REAL low buddy. Even crossovers feel odd at first, but once you get cookin' it's on.

Armadillo
July 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Looks sweet!

What kind of trucks and cushions did you mount on the Omegas?
I can see some metal, or perhaps it is white nylon, and the cushions look bigger than 7/8" diameter.
All I can tell you is that if you get some 7/8" diameter cushions and then add some Sure Grip Super Cushion HALF CONES with points going UP against the truck at bottom, you will have one of the most turn responsive SA plate schemes you ever rolled on.

-Armadillo

Iggy
July 6th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Ok. First I'll answer this...

Looks sweet!

What kind of trucks and cushions did you mount on the Omegas?
I can see some metal, or perhaps it is white nylon, and the cushions look bigger than 7/8" diameter.
All I can tell you is that if you get some 7/8" diameter cushions and then add some Sure Grip Super Cushion HALF CONES with points going UP against the truck at bottom, you will have one of the most turn responsive SA plate schemes you ever rolled on.

-Armadillo

They're Sure Grip Marathon trucks with orange Khiro cushions. And trust me, they're way turny :wink::D

Now for the review. We didn't get to skate more than a mile total (that's a topic for a different thread :rolleyes:), but it was far enough to get a feel for these things. The Aussie mount was awesome. Not once did I feel uncomfortable or unstable on them whether I was down in form or standing up just chillin. Flat, downhill, and uphill they were fine. As far as road manners, they were smooth as a baby's bottom and handled what little debris there was with ease.

Now the downside. These things are FLEXY. Like, really flexy. Like, after a little less than a mile my feet hurt cause they were so flexy. I knew going into them they were gonna flex a little, but I didn't expect them to be as bad as they were. I might have to get a piece of dragon plate to stiffen them up a little. If not for the flex they'd be really nice.

Oh. And if you wanna try something that'll keep you on your toes....Aussie mount a DA45 plate and hold onto you azz :wink::D

Armadillo
July 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Ok. First I'll answer this...

They're Sure Grip Marathon trucks with orange Khiro cushions. And trust me, they're way turny :wink::D

Do Marathon trucks have a 3/8" ball tip on the pivot end?
They may be turny now, but if you add a flipped 1/2 cone on bottom side of truck they will be DA45 turny.

Now for the review. We didn't get to skate more than a mile total (that's a topic for a different thread :rolleyes:), but it was far enough to get a feel for these things. The Aussie mount was awesome. Not once did I feel uncomfortable or unstable on them whether I was down in form or standing up just chillin. Flat, downhill, and uphill they were fine. As far as road manners, they were smooth as a baby's bottom and handled what little debris there was with ease.

Now the downside. These things are FLEXY. Like, really flexy. Like, after a little less than a mile my feet hurt cause they were so flexy. I knew going into them they were gonna flex a little, but I didn't expect them to be as bad as they were. I might have to get a piece of dragon plate to stiffen them up a little. If not for the flex they'd be really nice.

Oh. And if you wanna try something that'll keep you on your toes....Aussie mount a DA45 plate and hold onto you azz :wink::D

I advise using 1/8" Dragonplate. Be sure to sand the Omega plate flat on top before you glue the Dragonplate to it. I advise using Gorilla brand Super Glue. Locate the Omega plate on the Dragonplate cutout and then trace the outline of the Omega plate onto the shiny side of the carbon sheet with a sharp pointy item. Lightly sand carbon sheet within the contact zone with 400 grit paper. Then lay down your glue onto the sanded plate, flip it over and drop it down onto the traced outline on the carbon sheet. Clamp for 12 hours.
After initial glue dries, lay another bead of glue all around the edge of the Omega plate to give a slightly bigger grip of the plate to the carbon sheet.

I have about 400 miles on my glued Omega-to-carbon sheet mount with NO METAL penetrating the plate or carbon, and they are totally rock solid strong. Since you will have BOTH the Gorilla glue and the bolts holding the plate and carbon sheet together, so no worries there.
Epoxy glue also bonds well, but make sure it is a FLEX RATED type epoxy!

-Armadillo

Iggy
July 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Do Marathon trucks have a 3/8" ball tip on the pivot end?
They may be turny now, but if you add a flipped 1/2 cone on bottom side of truck they will be DA45 turny.

Putting the Marathon trucks on these they end up being a DA45. And I don't know what size the pivot ball is. All I know is it fits :wink:

I advise using 1/8" Dragonplate. Be sure to sand the Omega plate flat on top before you glue the Dragonplate to it. I advise using Gorilla brand Super Glue. Locate the Omega plate on the Dragonplate cutout and then trace the outline of the Omega plate onto the shiny side of the carbon sheet with a sharp pointy item. Lightly sand carbon sheet within the contact zone with 400 grit paper. Then lay down your glue onto the sanded plate, flip it over and drop it down onto the traced outline on the carbon sheet. Clamp for 12 hours.
After initial glue dries, lay another bead of glue all around the edge of the Omega plate to give a slightly bigger grip of the plate to the carbon sheet.

I have about 400 miles on my glued Omega-to-carbon sheet mount with NO METAL penetrating the plate or carbon, and they are totally rock solid strong. Since you will have BOTH the Gorilla glue and the bolts holding the plate and carbon sheet together, so no worries there.
Epoxy glue also bonds well, but make sure it is a FLEX RATED type epoxy!

-Armadillo

Thanks. I'm gonna have to try this cause I really think this has potential to be a real nice outdoor build.