PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor wheels with good agility

Zeroh
August 28th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Ok guys, I need some outdoor quad wheels for work and play. I just got a job at sonic as a skating carhop and Id rather not ruin my $120 shamans. So I want to buy some new wheels. For working at sonic and for skating my local outdoor trail.

The thing is, If I wasnt all about weaving and skating backwards and all. Id go with most ppls suggestion and get the Route 70s, but Im not sure if they would allow for more agility critical turns and weaves. I dont mind bumps so much. Heck I skated my outdoor trail on my 95a shamans once and they felt fine to me. I was just terrified of wrecking them lol or putting dents in them. So I need some kind of outdoor wheel that will work with stuff like jamskating outside on well pathed asphalt and such without getting destroyed or being to highpriced (price isnt an issue if they can take a beating.) Thanks guys!

Goldnblazer
August 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM
You might want to look into some Radar Shadows. They are a hybrid indoor/outdoor wheel and they are reasonably priced.

Zeroh
August 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Hmmm, yeah I hybrid wheel would probably be right up my alley.

Reserector
August 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I use soft, hubless wheels outdoors most of the time, but only because I am on weathered asphalt. On smooth contrete, I use some old rink wheels that I don't mind messing up.

If you are alright with the feel of the shamans, I would say your choices are wide open. My only suggestion would be to lean toward the softer rink wheels. At least you will have the same basic profile (diameter and width) as what you are used to. They won't look as stupid as the ones that look like big skateboard wheels, either.

My local rink sells S-G Zoom for $35 a set. You probably have something similar in your area. Maybe even a used set of something.

Armadillo
August 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
A big hubbed wheel in 64-65 mm and 33-35mm wide is your best bet.

Durometer in the mid 80's A-scale for best firmness - smoother the surface the higher in the 80's you can go.

-Armadillo

Zeroh
August 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I was thinking maybe the Radar flat outs? Big-mid sized hub, not to big or to small. Hardness 88a and 62mm. So there also the same diameter. The reviews are good too.

What do you guys think? Its pretty smooth concrete, not coated but the type of concrete that doesn't have any friction apposing bumps or rivets or so. Alot like most indoor garage floorings (not the coated kind). My shamans feel pretty good at them at that. there just a little to hard so the drag is kinda damaging. So Id think a cheap $50 set with that hardness sounds around my area? The only thing is are the wheels good ^^? Thanks for the tips guys!

Reserector
August 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I skate on concrete like you are describing both at a local park, and at the skatepark. For that, I use some old rink wheels. It is a mixed set of Psycho Pigs and Wicked Eyes. I think the duro is in the low 90s. They work fantastic.

Shoot for high 80s to low 90s as a ballpark duro number.

Zeroh
August 31st, 2010, 03:36 AM
Cool, thanks for all the help guys. I guess Ill go for high 80s then.

Salamanda
August 31st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Atom Poisons or Sure Grip Sugars. Both great hybrid wheels. I skate my Poisons both inside and out and I love them. Skated my Flat Outs outside on relatively smooth tarmac and wasn't as much of a fan.

rj2000
August 31st, 2010, 08:41 AM
I just got a set of velocity race 70mm from another skatelog member and well they are like outdoor skating heaven!!! I have never felt a wheel so awesome outside and they just roll and roll and roll some more!!!

ursle
August 31st, 2010, 12:09 PM
The thing is, If I wasn't all about weaving and skating backwards and all. Id go with most ppls suggestion and get the Route 70s, but I'm not sure if they would allow for more agility critical turns and weaves. I don't mind bumps so much. Heck I skated my outdoor trail on my 95a shamans once and they felt fine to me. I was just terrified of wrecking them lol or putting dents in them. So I need some kind of outdoor wheel that will work with stuff like jamskating outside on well pathed asphalt and such without getting destroyed or being to high priced (price isn't an issue if they can take a beating.) Thanks guys!

That's how I skate but I've never been indoors.
Used to use a 57mm wheel but with a foreword mounted plate I find a 64mm wheel to be more compromising, too much mechanical advantage using a small wheel(57) with a foreward mount.
I prefer a hard hub and the choices are limited, duro wise I like 80-82, softer wears too fast as does harder, well any wheel is going to wear, just pick the duro that you feel good about, roll vs turn-ability.
So, I'm on roll-line hydrogens, hard hub lite weight a little soft.
Have a set of route 60's heavy but not bad.
Have a set of flat-outs but the hubs are like butter, and they don't grip.
You might like the route 65's, as the 70's are heavy.
I've used a 92duro wheel outdoors and it sticks ok, well too ok, it's still spread all over the pavement.
jmho,ymmv

masmojo
August 31st, 2010, 05:35 PM
I recently Got some Roll Line Heliums; I have only rolled them briefly on a very smooth cement, but I was quite happy with them. It will be interesting to see how they do on ruffer stuff! They are also expensive!$$$$$$

You might want to try the Sugars or the Velocities they both have gotten good feedback.

Armadillo
September 1st, 2010, 04:26 AM
I just got a set of velocity race 70mm from another skatelog member and well they are like outdoor skating heaven!!! I have never felt a wheel so awesome outside and they just roll and roll and roll some more!!!

I recently Got some Roll Line Heliums; I have only rolled them briefly on a very smooth cement, but I was quite happy with them. It will be interesting to see how they do on ruffer stuff! They are also expensive!$$$$$$

You might want to try the Sugars or the Velocities they both have gotten good feedback.

Beware the Roll Line 64mm outdoor wheels. as they are prone to damage from stones. They have a rib that protrudes from the hub and makes the urethane only 6mm thick right above this rib. The rib locks the urethane onto the hub, but it also allows stones to penetrate right through the urethane along this rib because it is so thin there. Over time you will see that cuts accumulate right there all around the wheel. It effectively gets cut to shreds there at a rate of 10 times the number of cuts elsewhere on the wheel.

I only use mine for racing now and only on smooth racing surfaces.

-Armadillo

Zeroh
September 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
I really want a set of Velocities, but I dont know anyone whose selling.

Goldnblazer
September 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I really want a set of Velocities, but I dont know anyone whose selling.

Looks like the supply on Ebay has dried up.
The supply might be gone for good, unless someone puts a used set up for sale.

Nellie
September 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
How about these? Not too pricey (about $ 30), 62mm, 85A, not as wide as other outdoor wheels (30mm) and supposed to be really good.
http://www.newskates.com/v/vspfiles/photos/QOW108-2T.jpg

jbgerman
September 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
How about these? Not too pricey (about $ 30), 62mm, 85A, not as wide as other outdoor wheels (30mm) and supposed to be really good.
http://www.newskates.com/v/vspfiles/photos/QOW108-2T.jpg

That would be also my recommendation, or the Sure-Grip Aerobic

http://www.suregrip.com/wheels/aerobic.html

Very similar to the Radar Zen.

Zeroh
September 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I gotta admit. I enjoy them looking cool too haha. Ive been working for about a week and still havnt bought wheels yet. I havnt started skating yet so its fine. One thing im worried about is how wet it is inside the store lol. ITS SOAKED sometimes half water/ half soap too lol I slip sometimes in shoes. I cant imagine how it would be in skates.

rsfaze
September 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I gotta admit. I enjoy them looking cool too haha. Ive been working for about a week and still havnt bought wheels yet. I havnt started skating yet so its fine. One thing im worried about is how wet it is inside the store lol. ITS SOAKED sometimes half water/ half soap too lol I slip sometimes in shoes. I cant imagine how it would be in skates.

would they really want you inside on skates? I'm turning 32 and have had numerous jobs and insurance is already through the roof, I would think Sonic would be taking every step possible to reduce any job related injuries, especially people that are on skates for work.