PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my first pair of Quadlines

Almeda Skate
December 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I am so grateful to have found this forum and am hoping that some of you may be able to help me decide on what pair of Quadlines I should buy. I used to roller skate almost every weekend growing up and then abandoned the sport when I got out of college. I am now 53 years old and have a very energetic Border Collie that needs some exercise. I finally figured out...from watching Ceasar Milan on the Dog Whisperer...that roller skating with my dog would be the answer...for the dog and for me.

With that said...I found the wonders of Quadline skates. At first it seemed like a no brainer on getting the wide truck suede boot skates... But, the more I read...the more I realized that with my background in skating and my clutzyness...that I should probably get the streamline Quadlines. Am I right on this?

Here are my questions...

1. Should I get wide truck or streamline?
2. Should I get a leather boot or the vinyl boot or something else? (Never been a fan of vinyl because it doesn't breathe).
3. Should I get low cut or high top?
4. What skate is best for outdoors and manueverability?
5. Any predictions on whether I will kill myself on my first time out?
6. Is it worth getting the toe stop or back stop?
7. What's the advantage of having a 90mm wheel over a 100mm wheel? Does size matter?

Thanks for your help. I will look forward to hearing from you. This is my Christmas present from my husband.

Btw...where in the world do you buy these skates other than online? I have googled til I am blue in the face and can't seem to find anyone that carries them?

Claire :biggrin:

cass38a
December 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM
The best skates for outdoor are actually inline skates, they tick all the boxes. Quad skates can be used sucessfully outdoors but have limitations, are hard work and not as safe as inlines.

Quadlines attempt to overcome these issues by using the inline wheels but come with their own problems, probably why they are not real popular or why you cant get an answer to your question.

IMO either get regular Quad Skates with a NTS forward mounted (or reverse mounted if you want a stop) plate and 70mm outdoor wheels or spring for a quality pair of inlines.

rufusprime99
December 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM
A few questions first. When was the last time you skated a quad? Have you been to a rink recently or skated outdoors? Where will you be doing your skating? A park, a path? Have you walked this location and taken a detailed inventory of what you will be rolling over? Keep in mind, Cesar Milan IS the doge whisperer. His dogs behave on the leash. Will yours?

Most purchasing is online. Fairly standard for most everybody unless you buy from a roller rink.

Reserector
December 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I am so grateful to have found this forum and am hoping that some of you may be able to help me decide on what pair of Quadlines I should buy. I used to roller skate almost every weekend growing up and then abandoned the sport when I got out of college. I am now 53 years old and have a very energetic Border Collie that needs some exercise. I finally figured out...from watching Ceasar Milan on the Dog Whisperer...that roller skating with my dog would be the answer...for the dog and for me.
Welcome back to skating. :)
I would not advise skating with a leashed dog. Border Collies are smart dogs and yours may stay right with you. If so, you may have the perfect solution here.

With that said...I found the wonders of Quadline skates. At first it seemed like a no brainer on getting the wide truck suede boot skates... But, the more I read...the more I realized that with my background in skating and my clutzyness...that I should probably get the streamline Quadlines. Am I right on this?
Based on my experience with wide truck quadlines, they have a tendence to collide. The streamlines are going to be a safer setup. That is pure speculation because I am still using my wide setup.

Here are my questions...

1. Should I get wide truck or streamline? Streamline
2. Should I get a leather boot or the vinyl boot or something else? (Never been a fan of vinyl because it doesn't breathe). leather is always better, unless you are a vegan
3. Should I get low cut or high top? That depends on whether you need good ankle support. If you have weak ankles, get the high tops. Keep in mind that you can always stop lacing the high tops when you get to the hooks and wrap the excess lace around the boot. That will gave you nearly the same flexibility as the low cut boot.
4. What skate is best for outdoors and manueverability? For maneuverability, you cannot beat a double action 45º plate. However, I'm not so sure that Quadline offers that.
5. Any predictions on whether I will kill myself on my first time out? You will fall. Order wrist guards at minimum. Seriously. Knee and elbow pads would be a good idea as well.
6. Is it worth getting the toe stop or back stop? If you will be on inclines, a back stop would be nice to have. I would say get them. You can always remove them later.
7. What's the advantage of having a 90mm wheel over a 100mm wheel? Does size matter? The larger the wheel, the more easily it will roll over debris and cracks. There is not a whole lot of difference between the 90 and 100 for your purposes. I skate outdoors on wheels ranging in size from 57mm to 100mm on quads. Small wheels for tricks/turns. Larger wheels for travel/speed.

Thanks for your help. I will look forward to hearing from you. This is my Christmas present from my husband.

Btw...where in the world do you buy these skates other than online? I have googled til I am blue in the face and can't seem to find anyone that carries them?

I have only seen them online.
Claire :biggrin:

I have never skated with inlines, so I will not comment on them. I do know that with a quad skate background, you should have no trouble shaking off the rust and getting up and going on quads again. They are safe, fun and practical.

One other alternative may be the version that straps onto your shoes. They would be good if you had to visit a building or populated area along your way because you could take them off and still be in sneakers. Those have wide trucks.

In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p0N1uv1qqs

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/Reserector_/Phone%20Pics/930dc449.jpg

Nellie
December 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
You've probably seen this thread: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2425
If not, have a look - to me it seems helpful, especially the review-like posts you get when you scroll down.

Apart from that I'd also go for a leather boot every time (with a more or less flat sole for 'normal' outdoor skating) and I agree with cass38a that forward mounted regular quads with 70mm wheels would probably do the job just as well. I have never skated Quadlines, though, so this is just my guess. What I do know is that my outdoor quads would be fine for what you want to do.

Nellie

Almeda Skate
January 5th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Hey Ya'll...

Appreciated all the info on the Quadline Streamlines... Ended up getting the 90 MM Quadline Streamlines and love them so far. Glad I didn't get the wide truck cuz I know I would have been tripping all over myself. Tomorrow is my maiden voyage outside... Inside has been fine. I was a little wobbly at first...but once I got used to the extra height on the wheel...I was fine. Also figured out my back stop...or they call it a quad stop. Thats comforting since I know I will be zippin along once I get in more open spaces.
Let me say this...if you skated a lot when you were younger...this is the way to go. I felt like I was back at the skating rink when I skated around for the first time...like I had never stopped skating.
I am 53 years old and I think this is one of the best decisions I have made in terms of finding an alternative for exercising. Of course...I have yet to be out for any length of time...but based on the several times I donned my skates tonite and skated around the house...it seems like it will be great.

My only complaint with my skates were the short shoe laces that came with the skates. Thankfully, they also included a pair of 100's in the box...otherwise I'd only have laces that come up to the bottom of the hooks.

Can't wait to try them tomorrow. Wish there were more "elderly" (ha!) skaters in my area. Guess it's more of a California thing.

Thanks again for your help!:biggrin:

AzulojasATL
January 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM
OK Amelda, so report back already. How was your first day out? Keep us posted.:)

Armadillo
January 30th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hey Ya'll...

Appreciated all the info on the Quadline Streamlines... Ended up getting the 90 MM Quadline Streamlines and love them so far. Glad I didn't get the wide truck cuz I know I would have been tripping all over myself. Tomorrow is my maiden voyage outside... Inside has been fine. I was a little wobbly at first...but once I got used to the extra height on the wheel...I was fine. Also figured out my back stop...or they call it a quad stop. Thats comforting since I know I will be zippin along once I get in more open spaces.
Let me say this...if you skated a lot when you were younger...this is the way to go. I felt like I was back at the skating rink when I skated around for the first time...like I had never stopped skating.
I am 53 years old and I think this is one of the best decisions I have made in terms of finding an alternative for exercising. Of course...I have yet to be out for any length of time...but based on the several times I donned my skates tonite and skated around the house...it seems like it will be great.

My only complaint with my skates were the short shoe laces that came with the skates. Thankfully, they also included a pair of 100's in the box...otherwise I'd only have laces that come up to the bottom of the hooks.

Can't wait to try them tomorrow. Wish there were more "elderly" (ha!) skaters in my area. Guess it's more of a California thing.

Thanks again for your help!:biggrin:

Glad you got the streamlines, as the wide wheels are IMO overkill.
I recently set up my own version of a Streamline using a standard quad plate with trucks from another plate to allow the larger wheel diameter.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/ReynoldsLitesVelcro/IMG_3951.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/ReynoldsLitesVelcro/IMG_3949.jpg

Did you get the HEEL STOPS?

If not I highly recommend that you do get them. They are essential if you encounter any kind of hills at all or if your dog starts pulling too much.

-Armadillo

Golden Roller
February 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hello Almeda,

I'm in exactly the same position as you were - I'm thinking of buying a pair of QuadLine Carol Sloan 90mm Streamline High-Cut Skates. I'd really love to read a report-back from you as to how you have got on with your Streamline Quadlines since your last post, as it would help me make a decision about my purchase. I'm looking to buy Quadlines because I don't like inlines. I want to be able to quad-skate outside with the safety of a back brake plus have a smoother ride over débris on the track and also cut down wheel drag as much as possible, so that I can cruise longer without getting tired prematurely. I'm 64. My questions are much the same as yours, so report back, please! Thanks!

Knighttime
February 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I favor quad skates. That's just the way it is. I've been experimenting with some inlines to get more skate time outdoors (our local rink is only open Fri-Mon, with no adult-only sessions), but am loathe to spend the significant bucks for "trial and error" in that type of skate.

I've been reading the applicable quadline threads here and checking retail sites. Something occurred to me today regarding the width, particularly when I saw a picture of skate profiles from underneath. Is the perception of the wide trucks being overly wide caused by the narrow profile of inline wheels?

I sat down and measured the width of my standard quad skates (Rebels), and found them to be 5 1/8" from outside edge to outside edge. The "extra wide trucks" advertised on several of the quadline offerings on skates.com are said to be 5" in width. What I don't know is how that 5" is measured, but I would assume axle tip to axle tip. If that is the case, I'm thinking the wide trucks actually leave a narrower footprint than standard quads.

"Streamline" trucks would certainly have an edge in maneuverability, but I tend to wonder about the stability with what would be a significantly narrower footprint than standard quads.

...or I am just completely crazy, and should go drink a nice warm cup of STFU? :tongue:

I know Reserector's setup is a custom (and ingenious, tbh) build, and may be wider.

Armadillo
February 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I favor quad skates. That's just the way it is. I've been experimenting with some inlines to get more skate time outdoors (our local rink is only open Fri-Mon, with no adult-only sessions), but am loathe to spend the significant bucks for "trial and error" in that type of skate.

I've been reading the applicable quadline threads here and checking retail sites. Something occurred to me today regarding the width, particularly when I saw a picture of skate profiles from underneath. Is the perception of the wide trucks being overly wide caused by the narrow profile of inline wheels?

I sat down and measured the width of my standard quad skates (Rebels), and found them to be 5 1/8" from outside edge to outside edge. The "extra wide trucks" advertised on several of the quadline offerings on skates.com are said to be 5" in width. What I don't know is how that 5" is measured, but I would assume axle tip to axle tip. If that is the case, I'm thinking the wide trucks actually leave a narrower footprint than standard quads.

"Streamline" trucks would certainly have an edge in maneuverability, but I tend to wonder about the stability with what would be a significantly narrower footprint than standard quads.

...or I am just completely crazy, and should go drink a nice warm cup of STFU? :tongue:

I know Reserector's setup is a custom (and ingenious, tbh) build, and may be wider.

When I skated the above pictured SG-Nova plates with the Chicago Panther trucks and 4.5" wide axles with inline wheels, I expected to have some issues with ankle roll over problems. However, by having the super easy turning action of a REVERSED FIRM lower cone combined with a SOFT upper barrel, this was NOT a problem. I think that if you tweak your suspension for optimized easy turning, the wide wheel spacing of regular Quadlines it totally unnecessary. Most factory setups do not tune for free adn easy turning cushion setups, so in order to get skates to turn they improve the turning leverage by going wide with the axle & wheel spacing -- totally back asswards. Stability comes from having a RESPONSIVE ACTION --- not WIDE wheel spacing. My outdoor slalom skates PIC below illustrates how a responsive action performs:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/SuperCushions/IMG_3960.jpg

=Armadillo