PDA

View Full Version : Which sport is cooler than skating?

Clemens
September 11th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Hello sportsmen/women,

I am an enthousiastic skater, but nevertheless when I check the sports I tried, then I find those where you use the power of the elements to propel yourself the most phascinating. Examples: Hang/Paragliding, Surfing.

Which sports can beat skating in your view?
If none: Why is skating unbeatable for you?

Thanks for letting me know.

Best regards
Clemens

Pepper Montana
September 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Great question! I love windsurfing and sailing. They remind me of skating when everything is tuned just right and you are totally in that moment of time. You feel the world around you and you are connected to everything. Pure bliss.

online inline
September 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM
ice skating has really captured my imagination. It's a bit faster than inline, it's more technical, it is the definition of precise, and it just seems to have absolutely no drag.

Surreal quality surrounds it - pics of these skaters gliding along on a paper thin blade of steel, with the white background of the ice, often with dark skies, often times alone. WOW!

And the speed skaters skinsuits - if there;s anything better than no clothes at all - that may be it for expressing the beauty of the human form. And no helmet, which with just the hooded head really accentuates the form (as in the human form) aspect of the skater.

That's the only other sport that captured my imagination. I like to watch cycling, but there does seem to be an awfully lot of waiting until some strategies or breakaway develops, if it ever does.

motosk8ter
September 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM
There are few sports that rate up there like skating. In my personal pursuits I really like motorcycles... the speed, balance, handling and even racing. If the "sports god" came to me and said you have to make a choice I'd really be stressed about it. Bicycling is also cool. After a long ride I really feel accomplished as much as after a long skate. Swimming has a place in there for me as well though I do not do enough of that anymore and really enjoyed a 1-5 mile swim. Skating was my first endurance sport, skating in circles for hours is endurance I guess, and it became a part of me. My personal opinion is that skating is awesome and cool, need I say more;)

Jessica
September 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't say it's cooler than skating, but one of my favorites is triathlon, especially offroad. There's something so exciting about combining three sports and the transition in between. There's always something to improve on, and so many different ways to do it - a lot of strategy involved. Never a boring race :)

Kathie Fry
September 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I love sea kayaking! It's not "better" then skating, but it's a great sport to alternate with skating to get a fun upper body workout. (If exercise is not fun, I find that won't do it consistently over the long term.)

- Kathie

speedysktr
September 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I grew up doing two things. Riding dirt bikes and skating. For the last 10-12 years it's been all skating, but I could easily spend the next 10-12 riding dirt bikes. Similiar is mtn biking, all of them are so awesome. Road biking is way back from those three. If I wasn't skating, I'd likely devote as much time and energy to mtn biking. Off road motorcycling is a much different commitment that I don't see in my future. Like Jessica, I have an obsession with the tri. I believe it was watching Ironman Hawaii on tv in the fall of '91 that inspired me to quit smoking. I rediscovered skating in '92 and I still haven't made it to a legitimate tri, but I've inched closer. So anyway, mtn biking and dirt bikes-almost as good, definitely not better.

mvirtue
September 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Short board windsurfing. Every so often I miss it alot and start reading websites and drooling over equipment.

galaxydean
September 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Speed skating helped me recover from a knee injury from my favorite sport, Snow skiing. Doctors told me after surjury not to run or bike or anything that torqued my knee. Three weeks of skating and I was a new man. Skating is at the top of the list beacuse it has allowed me to get back quickly. Besides those two my other regulars are water skiing, mtn biking, wind surfing and trail running.

Jointlock
September 13th, 2006, 03:01 AM
freestyle slalom skating. The pure bliss of torture that a line of cones brings. Hit the Ipod to the skating playlist; run through the moves, lose yourself in the beat, pick up just one new ability.....God I love freestyle. Nail the crazy, the X or a grapevine.....pure bliss.

Whats better than that? Well it doesn't exist yet (well only in my head) but combining my other love....dancing. I know rollerdancing exists. My girlfriend and I are avid NYC clubgoers. Would love to go salsa, deep house etc...on my TWISTERS!!!! Sure would be fun, and could probably outrun the bouncers!

I am really happy being 41 yrs old......I LOVE being 41 on skates.:D

gbo
September 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
For me, skating is the best because it has the fewest variables to get right. Just the surface and an uncrowded trail and I'm pretty much guarranteed an hour of bliss.

But, jumping horses, when all the planets are aligned, can match it for the wonderful feeling of synchronization and beauty and everything being right with the world. The problem with riding is that there are more things to go wrong.

Ice Ramps
September 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I grew up skating mostly ice skating but actually my earliest childhood memories were at the roller rink, were we skated as a family. I trained in figure skating growing up. I even played some some ice hockey as a teen. Though I grew up in Alabama I never got into other sports tried swimming and Cross country/Track. I liked the training aspect but did not get the same feeling as I did skating. The closest thing that ever came close was using Snow Blades in Italy when I was assigned there in the army. Wow! that rocks, but even so it was always compared to skating and found lacking. In Italy I also got into Speed skating inline and some ice though not as much and also aggressive skating, that tour there kinda help form the foundation for my Ice Ramps idea. Anyway I love skating all types of it.

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com

spinjumpsk8
September 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I don't try to find what sport would be better than skating, but what sport would be enhanced by also skating. Like, I would really love it if the golf course was paved with an epoxy coated cement or hardwood, then I could finish a round much quicker and eliminate the golf cart and it would spawn a whole new market for longer golf clubs. Bowling...if they would just make the approach much longer and stop oiling the lanes, I can see skatebowling. Parasailing....who needs the water, just hook up to a car on a nice straight highway with your skates on, rolling takeoff and landing. Baseball/Softball...just pave the line around the bases and see how many runs can be scored. Hockey....wait, they already do that on roller skates.

6APPEAL
September 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I grew up running cross country and track, so running is my 1st love My knees don't agree with my heart after enduring thousands of miles. Cycling became my saving grace after enduring 4 stress fractures in college. I raced road bikes for a number of years, but found mountain bike racing more to my liking. Shorter races (less than 25 miles, not 100 +), fewer team tactics (no big packs), more challenging courses (single track, roots, mud, rocks, jumps). Met my wife at the local skating rink while recovering from one of my stress fractures. Then a buddy got me hooked on racing. I guess it came naturally. Inlines just upped the speed factor, more fun :D !
John

rokdaddy
September 14th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Whitewater kayaking/rafting.

I doubt I will ever find a sport that can be as intense and peaceful at the same time. When running difficult rapids, adrenaline forces me into a surreal calm that helps me to focus on what I am doing. It feels like I'm in one of those action scenes in the movie "The Matrix" where the characters are dodging bullets and running up walls in slow motion. Very addictive stuff...

Dude111
April 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I would say HOCKEY!!

I love watching hockey on TV,its quite nice indeed :)

I dont really consider Skating a sport,its more of a FUN thing to do!!

Skateguy
April 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Surfin is cool. Only problem is, it requires Surf.

shesk8
April 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM
skiing and ice speedskating are very COOLER that skating(inline) but, only cuz' they are winter sports - I rank all 3 my faves!

ncsk8rgirl
April 7th, 2009, 04:29 AM
nothing is cooler than skating...

but horseracing comes in close 2nd for me :)

Philphine
April 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM
i don't know if it falls into a different category, but i think i liked skateboarding more than skating. i kind of went back and forth through my teens and came back to skating when the local park closed. i had already brought a new deck and all for the next season when it closed so i kind of drifted back to rink skating.

actually, they built a new park when i was about 40-some odd years old and i brought a new deck. i couldn't help myself. i was thinking i'd sneak by one night when there wasn't much of a crowd and try it again. never did it though.

Jessica
April 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Not sure why I didn't mention this before, but wakeskating - I miss it a lot. They opened a cable park here in Tampa a while ago so we'll probably check it out soon.

rinkraptor
April 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
NO sport, I repeat, NO sport, comes even close to skating in a rink with a proper music program. Where else can you thow down jamskating to funky music, driving the spectators wild ?

EricM
April 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Sailing.

If all hell hasn't broken lose, let some more sail out.

http://las-go-around.blogspot.com <--- my father's sailboat.

I am also the Staff Advisor for the University of Illinois Sailing club and race team.

7Skaters
April 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
BETTER than skating...I dunno...

But I do LOVE baseball, in any form. Watching, playing, coaching, asst. coaching...I have done/do it all. So many variables, you've GOT to know the rules, and the rules for each division, each league, etc. So much stays the same, yet so much is different.

Swimming and diving...haven't dove much lately. They took out the pool I used to swim at, which totally sucks! Technically the pools. It was a swimming "compound" of sorts. Kiddie pool, two slides, "deepest" part was maybe all of 2 1/2 feet. Olympic size, 4' - 5' (though they always overfilled it so it was usually more like 5 1/2'). LOL Then...the glorious "Diving Well"...2 low boards, 2 high dives, platform...complete with 16 feet of water underneath. I refuse to dive into any body of water less shallow now...that bottom comes up too quickly in 11' or 12' of water. I was spoiled, what can I say? But swimming, we do have our own pool...kinda. Big one, put up every summer, take down every fall kind, so nothing special, but it's deep enough to play around with the kids in and we adults can ALMOST swim in it...LOL

I do love both (or all 3 - depending on how ya look at it) of those sports...though, like I said, I don't know if I like them BETTER than skating or not...being in Ohio, at least we can skate year round, though! :biggrin:

Philphine
April 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't say it's cooler than skating, but one of my favorites is triathlon, especially offroad. There's something so exciting about combining three sports and the transition in between. There's always something to improve on, and so many different ways to do it - a lot of strategy involved. Never a boring race :)

i wanted to try a triathlon when i was younger. found me a decent bike for it and upped my miles running (that part was to try a marathon also), but i never learned to swim. i got my first half way serious running injuries then too.

who knows? trying to get back to running, the bikes still hanging in the garage, and my house has a small pool i need to repair, but it would be available to me anytime. hope springs eternal.

speedysktr
April 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Which sports can beat skating in your view?none, mmkay? This is skatelog and you bring this question?
<speedy opens door, points Clemens outward>
Here, pal, chew on this, mmkay?
<speedy's speedskate shod foot shoves Clemens through the door>

NOTHING, GOT IT? NOT A GD THING BEATS SKATING.

You, Clemens, of all people, who have brought more
skating related visages than anyone else to this board,
would seem to be the least likely to wonder what sport
beats skating. What a disappointment to me that you
could seemingly grasp the heirarchacal superiority of
skating and still ask this question. Man, do I love
grinding out the virtually unholy nature of riding my
CR500 motocross bike. Likewise, carving a hard line
on my Klein(s); yet nothing comes close to manually
carving every inch of my progression with my own feet;
carving with my feet the line that my brain saw that was
driven with pure heart... ..and that's just one stroke.
How many strokes does it take to skate a mile?
100? 150? More?

buzzinghornet
April 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
yet nothing comes close to manually
carving every inch of my progression with my own feet;
carving with my feet the line that my brain saw that was
driven with pure heart... ..and that's just one stroke.

Interesting quote, may be you should turn this into a song......... sort of a skaters' anthem........
:tongue:

rinkraptor
April 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Interesting quote, may be you should turn this into a song......... sort of a skaters' anthem........
:tongue:

Speaking of Skaters' anthems, here's a fair one; set to the melody of the Singing Nun's one-hit-wonder Dominique....

When the JB skater starts clawin' the maple skating floor,
the world falls far away....
Like a distant blue-green shore, out to sea forever more
on a clear Sep-tember day !

And the skillful execution
of his awesome jammin' dance...
is a cinch to leave spectators
deeply spellbound in a trance !

As he fluidly progresses through the footwork and shuffles,
the rink looks on in awe;
Such a sight they've only seen
shown up on silver screen-
in the film Roll Bounce if at all !

Maybe a bit corny, but it's all I have at the moment....

inlina
April 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I am racing BMX at the moment. I always wanted to do skater-cross/blader-X but it was really just a dream, so BMX racing is the closest thing that I have access too. It has elements of speed skating, aggressive skating and inline hockey all rolled into one...but on a bike of course.

Aggressive inline (along with speed skating and inline hockey) is really good cross training for it. I can usually make ground on others in my class though the rythm sections of the track because of the pumping skills I learnt from aggro skating. And I used my hockey skills to deal with a bit of rough contact at my last race.

This is my bike....

http://blog.inlina.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/intense_sml_03.jpg

I still want to take my RB Coyotes down to the track and see if I can do a lap.

CG

Banzai
April 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Nothing is cooler than skating.

things that are as cool or almost as cool are...
Bikes
Sailing
Snowboarding
Surfing
Skateboarding
Motorcycles
Spending a lazy day on the beach
Spending the night on the beach
Hanging out with friends that know you so well there's nothing you could possibly do to shock them anymore:D

peter
April 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I am racing BMX at the moment.

I used to do that. My kids did it. I got bored just watching. It was fantastic.

My kids gave up. I carried on. Until I did an endo and dislocated my collar bone. Perhaps 40 years of age was a bit old to start BMX racing.

online inline
April 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
the sports that fascinate me the most to watch (and to do, for that matter) are those that involve self-propelled speed with as little apparatus as possible, so that the human form in superb motion becomes the main focus. Sports which do this for me are skating, swimming, and running. Of those, skating is the most ethereal and the most fascinating, by far. Cycling is fun to watch, probably becuase the apparatus is still relatively simple and i still get a strong sense of the rider controlling the game.
While running is a real trip, in all of the many distances, those Olympic male marathoners left a bad impression for me in that they seemed just way too thin, to a level that was unhealthy. On the other hand, i;ll never forget Usain Bolt in the last olympics!

darthblader
April 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I would have to go with that Red-Bull thing where the hockey players bomb down the bob-sled course...

OH MY GOD...

inlina
April 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I would have to go with that Red-Bull thing where the hockey players bomb down the bob-sled course...

OH MY GOD...

+1

Redbull Crashed Ice....

http://www.redbullcrashedice.ca/intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4os2ufb5EuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASfrblCM2h0

I'd give it a go in full hockey gear, but I would need to learn how to stop on ice skates first. I would like to do the inline version version though.

CG

Art G
April 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I place all speed skating disciplines on equal par with road cycling and F1.
As far as road cycling goes, I prefer single day races with the most rutted out and technical course possible. Makes for non stop action from start to finish.
Speaking of such, Boonen ruled Paris-Roubaix today!

sharon6pack
April 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well, I grew up loving being in the water and around water. And the aspect that some have commented on here about the least apparatus possible does 'hold water' when it comes to being in the water for me. Swimming, floating with a drink, riding in a boat all calm me. Just something about the water. I also have a Seadoo and waterski, so those things are more taxing but also fulfilling. I dunno, you can express yourself alot more on skates, feel free to do what you want and be in control. Being one with the water is at least for me something that keeps me centered, but when it's time to get funky I am on skates!! Hell of a workout too. :biggrin:

retread
April 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Sex??? From what I can remember, it's pretty cool!:rolleyes:

Bob

darthblader
April 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Sex??? From what I can remember, it's pretty cool!:rolleyes:

Bob

I wouldn't know...I haven't been able to talk my skates into it.:frown:
Maybe I can get them loopy first with some antifungal spray!

Curious Cat
April 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
If I cant choose ice/inline hockey, then wakeboarding is definately up there on my list of complete awesomeness.

Carving, jumping, spinning etc whilst listening to tunes is pretty awesome. Nothing like spending an entire day out in the sun shine getting busted up with your mates.

It takes a lot of skill, balance, endurance and strength.

retread
April 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM
If I cant choose ice/inline hockey, then wakeboarding is definately up there on my list of complete awesomeness.

Carving, jumping, spinning etc whilst listening to tunes is pretty awesome. Nothing like spending an entire day out in the sun shine getting busted up with your mates.

It takes a lot of skill, balance, endurance and strength.

If you get to the States, I've got something you can wakeboard behind!:biggrin:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2177784261_8040504829.jpg

Footwork
April 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
I ahev to agree, I went from Competitive Artistic roller skating, to motorcycle racin, bck to roller skating, them raced mountian bikes and now I'm back to roller skating and I still ride motorcycles and my mountain bikes.. I love speed, I think I got that from Roller Skating???

:biggrin:

I grew up doing two things. Riding dirt bikes and skating. For the last 10-12 years it's been all skating, but I could easily spend the next 10-12 riding dirt bikes. Similiar is mtn biking, all of them are so awesome. Road biking is way back from those three. If I wasn't skating, I'd likely devote as much time and energy to mtn biking. Off road motorcycling is a much different commitment that I don't see in my future. Like Jessica, I have an obsession with the tri. I believe it was watching Ironman Hawaii on tv in the fall of '91 that inspired me to quit smoking. I rediscovered skating in '92 and I still haven't made it to a legitimate tri, but I've inched closer. So anyway, mtn biking and dirt bikes-almost as good, definitely not better.