PDA

View Full Version : Would these be reasonable rec outdoor skates?

Stormi
February 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.lowpriceskates.com/mrpinkout.aspx

I used go to the Wednesday morning rink session, but unfortunately the owner can no longer run those mornings. We were a bunch of adult regulars who all get on really well. So we have decided to keep meeting up for outdoor skates. The surfaces will mostly be asphalt or cement trails.

Now rather than buy wheels and bearings and swap my wheels around all the time, have decided to get an inexpensive skate to use just for outdoor. One that I can knock around a lot. Would the ones in the link be reasonable? I think it said the wheels are 85A, would that be okay, or should I go softer? Where we are skating next week is pretty smooth as far as asphalt goes, but some spots do get some debris. Having only recently got back into quad skating, I don't want something super fast for outdoor, and prefer grip over roll.
Thankies! Oh, and if you can suggest some good US based stores that ship to Australia as well. It's cheaper at the moment to order from the US than buying the same skate in Australia.

Mom_2-3
February 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
If I could drop the cash.... I'd buy them. I'd be sticking my big softy wheels on them though. 70mm 78a... but then I mostly have smooth concrete to attack around here.

Have fun!

Gero
February 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.lowpriceskates.com/mrpinkout.aspx

I used go to the Wednesday morning rink session, but unfortunately the owner can no longer run those mornings. We were a bunch of adult regulars who all get on really well. So we have decided to keep meeting up for outdoor skates. The surfaces will mostly be asphalt or cement trails.

Now rather than buy wheels and bearings and swap my wheels around all the time, have decided to get an inexpensive skate to use just for outdoor. One that I can knock around a lot. Would the ones in the link be reasonable? I think it said the wheels are 85A, would that be okay, or should I go softer? Where we are skating next week is pretty smooth as far as asphalt goes, but some spots do get some debris. Having only recently got back into quad skating, I don't want something super fast for outdoor, and prefer grip over roll.
Thankies! Oh, and if you can suggest some good US based stores that ship to Australia as well. It's cheaper at the moment to order from the US than buying the same skate in Australia.

Looks good for the money.

85a is fine for me, when you weight around 200lbs, if you are just a small low-weight person, 78a would be the better choice, a little less speed but better when you have gravel on the roads. The aerobics are a good and cheap solution.

cass38a
February 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Dont take this the wrong way but didn't you recently learn an expensive lesson in buying el cheapos?

Those skates will be crap compared to your current ones and your money would be best spent on bearings and quality outdoor wheels and changing them over.

If you really like outdoor skating you could drop the coin for a plate with clip axels then you can swap wheels in 45 seconds.

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Dont take this the wrong way but didn't you recently learn an expensive lesson in buying el cheapos?

Those skates will be crap compared to your current ones and your money would be best spent on bearings and quality outdoor wheels and changing them over.

If you really like outdoor skating you could drop the coin for a plate with clip axels then you can swap wheels in 45 seconds.

Yeah, but my cheapos were $90 AU which probably equates to $30 US (not meaning the exchange rates). Those el cheapos are not bad outside, they just have ultra crap parts ie no-name wheels and plates etc. Those rebels I have just have probe plates. Probably crap to experienced skaters but they work for me.
What would you suggest? I'm on a limited budget and can't really wait for the next "occasion" to ask for more skates as a gift, as we're planning outdoor skates from next week, so would like to get something asap.

Gero - I'm about 130lbs or something? Not sure, my weight tends to not go over 60kgs, which i think is about 130lbs. I currently skate 92As indoors but apparently that floor is quite grippy (some sort of coated cement), but there is no slide with the 92As.
I really don't know too much about skates (am slowly learning), that's why I want your honest advice.

cass38a
February 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Contact Flemo on this forum, he sells some decent 70mm laser outdoor wheels for about the $100 mark.

Or these http://derbyskates.com.au/37-atom-centuri-wheels.html

Check out this http://sydneyderbyskates.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26_7&sort=20a&page=1

Plenty of options, ask Lee at the rink she is a world champipon outdoor speed skater from the 1980's and knows her stuff.

cojaco61
February 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I agree with cass. But if you really want another set of skates

I would be getting a pair of soccer boots, and some of the Lazer plates. and then some of the krypto route 66 wheels and 7mm bearing. Unfortuneately this is going to be outside your budget.

Even the Lazer Atlantis plate would be better than these plates, and they have clip axles.

I just don't think you will have a good experience in these skates.

You only get what you pay for. And considering these skate cost less in total than a good set of wheels it should tell you something.

Glad to help you out if I can Lisa.

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I agree with cass. But if you really want another set of skates

I would be getting a pair of soccer boots, and some of the Lazer plates. and then some of the krypto route 66 wheels and 7mm bearing. Unfortuneately this is going to be outside your budget.

Even the Lazer Atlantis plate would be better than these plates, and they have clip axles.

I just don't think you will have a good experience in these skates.

You only get what you pay for. And considering these skate cost less in total than a good set of wheels it should tell you something.

Glad to help you out if I can Lisa.
Where do you get your plates and wheels from, Colin? I'm not even sure what my budget is. Hubby said he'd rather I get something good that I'm happy with because he likes to see me exercising lol! Plus he likes the fact I'm out socializing with the derby girls, as I don't really have any friends down this way (having moved from Sydney). So roughly what would I be looking at for lazer plates and good outdoor wheels and soccer boots? I know if I maintained them they'd last a long time.
And who knows, might even get up to Berkeley for some quad speed training if I have outdoor skates :P

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
You know, I have a pair of inlines that I know skate well on the outdoor trails. Could always return from the dark side and go back to those :p

cass38a
February 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Inlines are better outdoors.

If you get the skates Colin is describing (Xtec with footy boots) you probably will never put those Rebels back on.

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I may just have to use the inlines for the outdoor skate meets for the time being. Weird thing is, after skating quads, if I put my inlines on, I feel like I've never skated inlines in my life. Before coming to the "dark side", I was quite proficient on my inlines. Used to skate the track around the lake, go up to the park with the kids etc. Now I can easily transition from inlines to quads ie if I was skating inlines for a couple of weeks, and then put my quads on, I would have no problems with balance etc. But the other way around, if I have been skating quads even for half an hour, and then put inlines on, I just about fall over, and then have to skate around for half an hour just rolling, as I can't manage to even lift my foot! I guess I'll just have to skate the inlines around the house for a few days to get used to them again LOL.
OR...put the inline wheels on the Rebels and turn them into quadlines :biggrin:

Big Nick
February 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Or just get some cheap kyrpto route 65's chuck em' on ya rebels and skate them outside!

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Or just get some cheap kyrpto route 65's chuck em' on ya rebels and skate them outside!

Yeah, but I don't want the asphalt to eat up my pretty purple skates if I fall over. Guess I'll just have to cover them completely in hockey tape LOL. I have toeguards, but knowing me I'd fall on my arse, only part of me not protected. Did that a week ago at the rink and I seriously got whiplash in my neck. Sad thing was I was going ONTO the rink, wasn't even on it yet. Damn metal strip between carpet and rink. All the little kiddies laughed at the "old chick" falling in slow motion onto her bum!

Think I will just do that. Order some kryptos and some bearings so I don't have to fiddle around with bearings (considering I don't even have a skate tool yet).
Will the 65's be too big for the Rebels? Colin suggested 59's as he didnt know what clearance my skates have. The fugitives are 62's, I think.
Thanks guys, you're all awesome.

Big Nick
February 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
They should be fine, but you could get 62's I know girls who use the 65's on rebels and have no probs though.
if it's any consolation one of the girls hit the deck at training last night and bounced about a foot off one butt cheek! and she is a pretty good skater. Don't think she'll be walking properly for a while though!

Stormi
February 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
They should be fine, but you could get 62's I know girls who use the 65's on rebels and have no probs though.
if it's any consolation one of the girls hit the deck at training last night and bounced about a foot off one butt cheek! and she is a pretty good skater. Don't think she'll be walking properly for a while though!

That is the first time I have fallen in 30 years of skating, apart from when I was learning as a kid! Mind you, my 9 year old son takes the cake. He fell over at the rink several weeks ago AFTER he had taken his skates off LMAO! Don't know what he did, doing some fancy foot moves sans skates and fell over.

Sooo....best place to order some Kryptos and bearings and hockey tape? Don't mind buying whole skates from the US, but just for wheels will probably stick to an AU online store.

Stormi
March 3rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Well I ordered same setup from Geno as before, but with outdoor wheels (kryptos). So now I just have the agonizing two week wait until they get here lol. I'm so used to my Wednesday morning skating, I'm having withdrawals today! Not skating until Sunday. I think once I get the outdoors I'll be out skating every day, lots of good quiet FLAT roads where I live, as we don't get through traffic, just residential traffic. :)

Armadillo
March 14th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Well I ordered same setup from Geno as before, but with outdoor wheels (kryptos). So now I just have the agonizing two week wait until they get here lol. I'm so used to my Wednesday morning skating, I'm having withdrawals today! Not skating until Sunday. I think once I get the outdoors I'll be out skating every day, lots of good quiet FLAT roads where I live, as we don't get through traffic, just residential traffic. :)

Unless your indoor skates are VERY FORWARD mount, your outdoor skates should be one size larger and the front axle the full amount of the larger size forward of your indoor front axle position. This will greatly reduce the chances of falling forward when you encounter surface imperfections and debris outdoors.

-Armadillo

Big Nick
March 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Unless your indoor skates are VERY FORWARD mount, your outdoor skates should be one size larger and the front axle the full amount of the larger size forward of your indoor front axle position. This will greatly reduce the chances of falling forward when you encounter surface imperfections and debris outdoors.

-Armadillo
If needs be they are an easy set-up to move the plate forward on, but I wouldn't worry about it to much Stormi, lots of the Derby girls skate their regular set-ups outdoors, they just chuck on some Kryptos and have no probs.
If you were racing I would be doing what 'Dillo said, but if you're just skating for the fun it's not a big issue.

Reserector
March 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
As far as the cheapos that you posted a link to are concerned, I am not a fan of the ROCK plates. They are usable in short sizes, but flex badly.
Chances are that the plates are riveted on. Those rivets will work loose and need to be replaced with bolts.

If you can swing it, get another set of Rebels in a different color. You can have mismatched boots just to blow minds at derby. Put some toe guards on and go skate. Your outdoor skates will feel the same as your indoor ones.

Stormi
March 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys, I did order the same set-up I have for indoors. The rebel probe package, but in blue lol, with krypto wheels. Just tracked my item and they are now at the local delivery centre, waiting for the courier.

I am only a session skater and wanted to do outdoor skating for fitness, and I'm sure I could easily get them mounted further forward if need be :)