PDA

View Full Version : Why 'delete' the item(s) you are selling after being SOLD???

bolivia
April 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
ok....I'll be the a$$ here.........

Why not just post SOLD? Why 'delete' everything? I have no idea what the item was, and never will. Why does everybody want to delete their transactions from the boards?????

If I knew what you were selling, even after you posted SOLD, I could have posted that I'd given you double the money. :biggrin:

Seriously though, why not leave everything alone and just post "SOLD"? The mods don't delete this stuff anyway, do they????

swolltitan
April 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Well these pics are taking up space on photobucket. Don't need em, so I will delete mine. Then, if no pics, why keep the thread?

BananasRUS
April 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM

Why not just post SOLD? Why 'delete' everything? I have no idea what the item was, and never will. Why does everybody want to delete their transactions from the boards?????

If I knew what you were selling, even after you posted SOLD, I could have posted that I'd given you double the money. :biggrin:

Seriously though, why not leave everything alone and just post "SOLD"? The mods don't delete this stuff anyway, do they????

Well these pics are taking up space on photobucket. Don't need em, so I will delete mine. Then, if no pics, why keep the thread?

I am guilty of deleting my threads, pictures and all, once I have sold something. If I have offended you (or anyone else, for that matter), I sincerely apologize for doing so. That was never my intention. :redface:

I, for one, don't want to muddy the waters with so many sold threads. I agree with swolltitan, too, about the space on photobucket. As soon as I sell something, I delete the pictures for good from there, so I have the space later on if I need it.

If the item does come up for sale again, which sometimes it does, then there will undoubtedly be new pictures of it when it does.

I have given me two cents worth, so I will now step down off of my soap box.;)

Agawam_rollaway_skater
April 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I always delete them all and will continue to. I figure the transaction is finished business and any further details are between myself and the buyer:)

73watermutt
April 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
We had a similar question asked awhile ago. We delete the sold threads to keep from cluttering up the for sale section. The mods like it if we post please remove after the item is sold. I had a conversation in person with one of the mods here down at Castles rink in Loveland Ohio and he said he prefered we do it this way.

sauhamm
April 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM
say i stick a sign in my yard that says, "car for sale" with a car next to it

now after i sale that car, would it make more sense for me to keep the sign there and put 'sold' on it as well - or take the whole works down and bid good luck to the new owner?

the reason i remove all traces of the is sale is because its no longer my property to represent [that's up to the new owner]

no you dont know what the item was... because it's no longer up for sale - just like if you drive by my house after my car is sold you won't see any trace of it anymore - i remove my craigslist ads too

i dont think you are being an a$$, just inquisitive :)

the admins do eventually maintenance the site and remote the old ads - i know because when it gets too messy ive messaged them and its fixed the very next day

megogeek
April 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
You delete sold stuff as a courtesy to other people trying to sell stuff.

If there are 10 sold items sitting on the first page, that's 10 other items still for sale that are kicked back to page 2.

It's the "for sale" section, not the "what did miss" section.

The mods will eventually come through and delete sold threads.

FanJet8
April 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Also even if the item is sold people still send PM's asking dibs if the deal falls through. I've marked sold on items only to go to bed and wake up log on and find 2 to 3 people PMing me asking if it's still available.

Reserector
April 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
On my boards we mark them *SOLD* in the title, either by the seller or a mod/admin. The new threads bump up quickly on their own.

This way, if there is a problem shortly after the sale, there is some record of it.
The best feature about doing this is that people returning to the FS section looking for something they saw for sale will be able to find it. If it is sold, at least they know that quickly.

After a while I have the option of deleting the old ones. I have tons of server space, so I really don't sweat it.

Posting to "Please delete" actually bumps the thread one more time. Modifying the title does not.

To each their own, however. Nothing wrong with being neat and tidy.

Gville-Schooler
April 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
i just mark mine sold and leave the pic up so everyone can see what they missed out on LOL

arcadefreaque
April 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I kinda like for the seller to leave the post up for awhile after I buy something (maybe mark it sold so that I know that they aren't still fishing for another offer though!). I suppose it's because I'm lazy, but I like for the pics/description to be there so that I can refer back to them to verify that I received what I purchased. I could just save off the description and photos though, so maybe I will start doing that in the future.

StotheH
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Pretty sure they do actually. Just stops the forum getting clogged with ancient sold stuff.

I know what you mean though, you get that "What was that... Bet it was awesome and $2" hunch.

Edward Williams
April 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM

As I understand it the threads in certain forums such as the for sale forum are deleted automatically. If you have ever run a forum, and I have hosted many, it is called pruning. Whenever you have outdated information it is a good idea, as a host or Administrator of a forum application, to keep your forums up to date with accurate information that is easily accessible and also easy to find.

Reserector
April 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
As I understand it the threads in certain forums such as the for sale forum are deleted automatically. If you have ever run a forum, and I have hosted many, it is called pruning. Whenever you have outdated information it is a good idea, as a host or Administrator of a forum application, to keep your forums up to date with accurate information that is easily accessible and also easy to find.

Exactly. I have even been known to modify thread titles to make them more searchable. Especially thread titles like "Help me" or "Check this out". :rolleyes:

But whatever the case, we should do as Kathy and Jessica prefer.

Joeypole
April 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
It helps the moderators clean up the board.

I'm a mod on another site and if you have to read every single thread in the BST section to find out what is sold it gets time consuming and frustrating.

If the user helps out and modifies the title to say sold, you can go through and delete the threads that don't need to take up bandwith.

More Bandwith = More $$$ for the owners of the site.

Does that help?

To touch on another subject of making a better offer on something that is sold? That creates a bad situation for everyone.

If someone told me that its mine and I send money, only to come back before they ship and say someone offered me $20, I'll tell you where to stick that item. That is BS in my book.

Plus then what happens when the new offer doesn't have the cash right away and then passes. You have no buyer and you pissed the last one off.

I'm new hear but I've sold more golf clubs on Forums then Dicks Sporting Goods sold last year. It's first pay gets it.

My .02

Joe

OffTheEdge
April 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM
sold then delete is great. I am on bimmerforums.com looking alot and the for sale section is a joke. there has to be at least 100 pages and I have PM'd people over and over when I see something for sale just to get the "i sold it" reply. They don't delete anything.

the california kid
August 10th, 2011, 04:24 AM
It tells forum members that its no longer available in the greatest terms its sold. and it frees up the for sale area for new items. if there was 20 items that was sold before your item then perhaps others would not get that far and never see your item, or that its still for sale. Plus if someone else sold some canna's for $50 and you are selling yours for $75. That compare and ask why do you want more for yours than he/she did.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Why not change some of the settings of the forums to allow the original poster to delete their own threads? It can be done on v bulletin boards such as this one. Also, setting could be changed to automatically bump a thread to the top of the pile when a new post has been added.
Otherwise, if a seller wants to delete all the info out of their ad, fine. But it would be a good idea to wait until the item being sold reaches the buyer. This way if the item is in dispute, having access to the full, original ad can/will protect both parties. Just a thought. I am a member on a couple of other forums, one with over 150,000 members and the things I mentioned work very well.

swolltitan
January 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I'd prefer the admins to have control over that. Bumping isn't allowed (read the rules) and if someone is moved off the top of the list, they could just delete and create a new one to be at the top. Would be too annoying to browse.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
sold then delete is great. I am on bimmerforums.com looking alot and the for sale section is a joke. there has to be at least 100 pages and I have PM'd people over and over when I see something for sale just to get the "i sold it" reply. They don't delete anything.

I'm on there as well. You are right, their for sale section is a joke. If people could delete their thread once something sells, it would clear up half of the 100+ pages. Also, they need to divide it up by region. I went to buy some stuff a while back only to find it was located in SPAIN! They really should at least divide it up by continents!

Edward Williams
January 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Why not change some of the settings of the forums to allow the original poster to delete their own threads?

Because many people do not keep up with that task in a timely manner.

It can be done on v bulletin boards such as this one. Also, setting could be changed to automatically bump a thread to the top of the pile when a new post has been added.
Otherwise, if a seller wants to delete all the info out of their ad, fine. But it would be a good idea to wait until the item being sold reaches the buyer. This way if the item is in dispute, having access to the full, original ad can/will protect both parties. Just a thought. I am a member on a couple of other forums, one with over 150,000 members and the things I mentioned work very well.

We've been through all of that and there have been many discussions and disagreements on the subject. Some people want them to stay...some people want the posts to go.

What we have now is a compromise that works very well.

bmb527
January 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM
So empty threads mixed in with active threads cluttered together it shall be!

Big Nick
January 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
So empty threads mixed in with active threads cluttered together it shall be!
All the sale threads get deleted after a month or so anyway.
Saying "please delete" just frees up some space.

RIC0
January 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
It would be nice if the mods let us delete our own threads in this section, which can be done as i run a forum with the same Vbulletin software that is used here.

That my friends is the answer to this age old question..:biggrin:

DiscoStu
January 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM
But it would be a good idea to wait until the item being sold reaches the buyer. This way if the item is in dispute, having access to the full, original ad can/will protect both parties.
This ^^^ I am very much in favor of. When I buy something from the forum I now save the post and pics just in case something goes awry. No purchase I have made through SLF has gone bad, but just in case I want to have a copy of the post until I receive the item and confirm the condition as posted.

Edward Williams
January 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM
It would be nice if the mods let us delete our own threads in this section, which can be done as i run a forum with the same Vbulletin software that is used here.

That my friends is the answer to this age old question..:biggrin:

The admins tried that but people were not deleting their threads in a timely manner. And to complicate things at the time there was the idea that becuase the daatabase for the forum application was so large that it was causing the forum to crash. You can read about this in the Database Errors in the Forum (http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=9268) thread.

So we discussed it and the Admins asked for our suggestions and the Admins acted. And I think they made a good sound decision to allow for self-pruning threads in the advertising section.

And it's working...so don't look for it to change anytime in the near future.