PDA

View Full Version : Kryptos... or Boomerangs??

sommemi
June 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Anyone know which one might be a faster roll, or which one might be better in the rain? Have a marathon this Sunday and I'm wearing quads in an inline marathon. There's a good possibility it might rain. And I haven't had a chance to look at the topographical map to see if there are hills or not, so I have no clue about that. So don't ask. lol I'm VERY used to skating outdoors, so at this point I just want the hardest wheel I can get away with to try to coast as far as possible in between strokes etc.

(I'm guess Kryptos have a faster roll while boomerangs are better in rain, and if so, then I STILL don't know which ones I'm going to use!!!)

Armadillo
June 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The boomerangs were reviewed in the Outdoor Quads sub forum a while back by Mystic.

I loaned my set to him while I was recovering from a broken shoulder.
I don't know if he compared them whit Krypto Route 70 though.

I never got to skate the Boomerangs as the 2nd person I allowed to test roll them disappeared and STOLE THEM FROM ME -- lousy scum bag rat person --- you know who you are!!

I advise you go with the biggest diameter wheel.
If both same 70mm, then go with which ever rhas the larger HUB DIAMETER.

-Armadillo

sommemi
June 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM
The boomerangs were reviewed in the Outdoor Quads sub forum a while back by Mystic.

I loaned my set to him while I was recovering from a broken shoulder.
I don't know if he compared them whit Krypto Route 70 though.

I never got to skate the Boomerangs as the 2nd person I allowed to test roll them disappeared and STOLE THEM FROM ME -- lousy scum bag rat person --- you know who you are!!

I advise you go with the biggest diameter wheel.
If both same 70mm, then go with which ever rhas the larger HUB DIAMETER.

-Armadillo

boomerangs are definately larger I believe (hub-wise). DEFINATELY larger in overall size. I just haven't skated both of them one right after the other and with limited time on my hands before Sunday, just thought I'd see if anyone else has skated both of them in order to compare. I haven't skated my boomerangs in ages because I was missing one wheel for some reason and only just replaced it recently. I've skated the A2A twice on my Kryptos and loved them, but I just don't know if the boomerangs would roll faster or not. Ya know?

If all else fails, I'll skate both of them Saturday morning real early and do a 'review' for everyone else then. :biggrin:

Armadillo
June 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Actually, your Boomerangs may be the older ones.
Mine came from Canada and were deep blue color.
There are PICs in the outdoor wheels thread of the Qutdoor Quads subforum

-Armadillo

jbgerman
June 24th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Kryptos are terrible, if the surface is wet.

Nellie
June 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Vanguard Boomerangs are the better wheel all around (even indoors) - better roll AND better in the rain (Kryptonics feel a bit mushy in comparison. I've never had the older ones, though, so they might be better). I haven't a clue what the other blue Boomerangs from Canada are like, as I've never skated those.

Armadillo
June 25th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Vanguard Boomerangs are the better wheel all around (even indoors) - better roll AND better in the rain (Kryptonics feel a bit mushy in comparison. I've never had the older ones, though, so they might be better). I haven't a clue what the other blue Boomerangs from Canada are like, as I've never skated those.

Here are PICs of blue Boomerangs (a curse on the logger who stole them from me)!

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/Wheels/Boomerang70mm.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/Wheels/Boomerang2.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/Wheels/IMG_3701.jpg

-Armadillo

Acid Burn
June 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Here are PICs of blue Boomerangs (a curse on the logger who stole them from me)!

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/Wheels/Boomerang70mm.jpg

I have a set I never use I might be willing to part with.

Armadillo
June 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have a set I never use I might be willing to part with.

Well, how do/did they skate for you?
Since I never got to skate on my set. I don't know that I really want to by another set. Mystic was not much impressed by them, but I thought they would be a decent workout wheel, if not a race wheel.

I am pissed at the guy who stole them ON PRINCIPLE more so than from the wheels being all that special.

-Armadillo

Acid Burn
June 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well, how do/did they skate for you?
Since I never got to skate on my set. I don't know that I really want to by another set. Mystic was not much impressed by them, but I thought they would be a decent workout wheel, if not a race wheel.

I am pissed at the guy who stole them ON PRINCIPLE more so than from the wheels being all that special.

-Armadillo

They're fast. Very fast. If you're on bumpy pavement, you'll notice more than you would in, say, a pair of Sure-Grip Aerobics.

However, they don't really fit any Powerdyne plates that well, the axles are too short.

sommemi
June 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Kryptos are terrible, if the surface is wet.

Actually, the first A2A that I skated I used the Kryptos and it rained the whole morning, and they were excellent. I didn't slip a bit. But maybe you are thinking of different Kryptos than I am. Lemme see if I can post a pic of both sets of wheels that I was comparing. Honestly, I think they both were okay performance wise, but I ended up going with the boomerangs after all. It worked out pretty well for me. The surface was rougher than I estimated, so it was probably better that I used the boomerangs. I think they were a hair 'cushier' than my Kryptos. But I think I might have rolled a LITTLE faster on the smooth parts with the Kryptos if I had had them. Overall, I'm happy with what I chose that day.

I think if I'm going to be doing a lot of straight skating outdoors with lots of debris and rough surface, the boomerangs were perfect. For smoother surfaces with more maneuvering, I would have gone with the Kryptos.

OKAY - off to look for pics in my albums.

sommemi
June 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM
OK - here are the Kryptos...
http://www.math.kent.edu/~mtackett/skating/skates%20001sm.jpg
]

now lemme find pics of the boomerangs... (the old ones that are yellow/greenish)

sommemi
June 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ok - here is what I have of the boomerangs... don't know if I have good pics of them really... here is one from my photobucket (when I was showing off how screwed up my trucks were)
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff277/sommemi/SU1HMDExMTAtMjAxMTA2MDQtMTUwMi5qcGc.jpg

jbgerman
June 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Actually, the first A2A that I skated I used the Kryptos and it rained the whole morning, and they were excellent. I didn't slip a bit. But maybe you are thinking of different Kryptos than I am.

Interesting. They are old ones from the 80s?

sommemi
June 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Interesting. They are old ones from the 80s?

Yes, those are the ones. Actually, the first year I skated them with an older boot, then switched boots the next time I skated it. But used the same wheels both times.