PDA

View Full Version : Some Help from the Aussies

Chesty La Rue
July 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Guys

Got a set of Flyer 5's for hubby but would like to change the trucks out so was hoping for some information. Will the SG DA45 trucks fit them and if so will i need to change out the king pin as well?

Cheers
Krystal

Stinkfist
July 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
They most certainly will! :D
Kingpins should come with the truck kit along with the pivot cups, cushions, and washers. Pivot cups have to be changed to suit the new pivot pins, kingpins are optional, but I definitely would since they're there unless you want to rob them for something else.

Stinkfist
July 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Chesty La Rue
July 30th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Sweet!

Thankyou so much. Sounds a bit silly but can you order the truck kits with clip axle's or will I need to sort that out another way? (Can't be a true aussie set-up for him with out it hey :D)

Krystal

Salamanda
July 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Just specify that you want clip axles when you're ordering the trucks. It costs a bit extra but not a lot.

Damian73
July 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Flyer 5's!! :wink:

Stinkfist
July 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Not sure what wheels are likely to end up on them, but anything with a slightly wide bearing spacing is a pain with the Sure Grip clips (I have one old set of Aussie Scot's hubs and at least two other sets of older wheels that won't fit mine :mad:). There are options though, you can either have the trucks narrowed slightly (chuck them up in a lathe and give them a haircut of about 1mm a side), or just order them with normal axles and put a set of Ranalli clip axles in them later. :D

Have fun building Frankenplates. My personal favorite flavour is DA45'd Wallabies. They're not the lightest things around, but they're nigh on indestructible!

quantoo
July 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Guys

Got a set of Flyer 5's for hubby but would like to change the trucks out so was hoping for some information. Will the SG DA45 trucks fit them and if so will i need to change out the king pin as well?

Cheers
Krystal

But i think th flyer 5 kingpin has a different thread to SG plates,and the truck geometry is close .Not sure how well they would work but i have quicky tried my magnum sa trucks in my flyer 5s and the fit wasnt 100% perfect.

Chesty La Rue
July 30th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Not sure what wheels are likely to end up on them, but anything with a slightly wide bearing spacing is a pain with the Sure Grip clips (I have one old set of Aussie Scot's hubs and at least two other sets of older wheels that won't fit mine :mad:). There are options though, you can either have the trucks narrowed slightly (chuck them up in a lathe and give them a haircut of about 1mm a side), or just order them with normal axles and put a set of Ranalli clip axles in them later. :D

Know anyone in brisvagas that can do this???? :D

Have fun building Frankenplates. My personal favorite flavour is DA45'd Wallabies. They're not the lightest things around, but they're nigh on indestructible!

Well funny that guess what else is in my cupboard.......plates are to big for what we want though so.....

Quantoo thanks for the heads up I will keep that in mind.

Thanks guys you are all so awesome :)

Krystal

Stinkfist
July 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM
But i think th flyer 5 kingpin has a different thread to SG plates,and the truck geometry is close .Not sure how well they would work but i have quicky tried my magnum sa trucks in my flyer 5s and the fit wasnt 100% perfect.

Hmm, you could be right on the kingpins, but I don't have a set here to check anymore.

The trucks are a definite though. The only difference I've found with Wallabies, Flyers, SuperSonics, and a couple of other odd bod old Aussie plates I've messed around with swapping trucks on, is that some need either a washer or jump bar, while others don't.

There's a chance I MAY know someone around this neck of the woods who could manage this for you (either trimmed truck, or fitting the Ranalli's), however I also hear they've been a bit slow to get stuff done lately...... Sorry Paul (I promise you your wheels are still safe and warm in the box you dropped them off in)!

Drop me a PM and I'm sure we can sort something out. :D

Big Nick
July 30th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hey Stink, is there any chance this "someone" might be able to trim a mil off some Royal trucks for me at some stage in the future? For a fee of course!

loony888
July 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM
...... Sorry Paul (I promise you your wheels are still safe and warm in the box you dropped them off in)!

it's no bother mate, all good.;)

paul.
I am on the hunt for a set of ranalli flips and someone to press them for me though.....................

StotheH
July 31st, 2011, 01:08 AM
My derby girl's running Scott's on SG flips. Scott'll probably confirm this himself but as I understand it his older hubs had wider bearing spacing. They're narrower now and should fit SG trucks with SG flips no worries.

Stinkfist
July 31st, 2011, 01:49 AM
My derby girl's running Scott's on SG flips. Scott'll probably confirm this himself but as I understand it his older hubs had wider bearing spacing. They're narrower now and should fit SG trucks with SG flips no worries.

That's definitely the case! I just happen to still have an old set of hubs here that I haven't gotten around to modifying or swapping to someone who wants them for their Boens (the bearing spacing fits Boen trucks without washers). I also have at least 3 other sets of wheels here that won't fit them though. Only my 70mm road wheels are current production though, so it really does depend on what the intended use is as to whether or not it will be an issue.

And yes Nick, I'm sure someone might be able to help you with that! :biggrin:

AussieScott
July 31st, 2011, 03:22 AM

Yep like Stinky said new hubs fit the SG clip on axles originals were designed for Boens and all you needed was the original factory e-clip behind the wheel for a perfect fit.