PDA

View Full Version : OUTDOOR WHEELS!!?? skateboard wheels for quads??

Muffin Munro
August 12th, 2011, 05:20 AM
hi everyone, im very new to skating and i have just got my 1st pair of skates!! :D they have fusion wheels on them and i have just found out that the skate rink near me isnt open to the public during the day when i have the time to skate!! so im wanting to go outdoors to prctice :)

i have been reading threads about outdoor skating and suggested wheels and i have found it sooo informative!! but... im confused! i have been looking for kryptonic route 65's but they are all skateboard wheels in sets of 4?? i read that you can use these on quads but some you cant??

im in australia if thats helps

please help!! my budget is VERY small but i want to buy a decent set

im skating on Sure-grip Rebel/probe/fugitive skates and i am on the heaver side :smile:

thank you HEAPS for any imput!!

the california kid
August 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
If so I may hit the plate in the turns. Kryptos are the better wheel for outdoors. skateboards wheels are perfect for this. If they roll and turn easy on your set up thats it. Have two sets of bearings. The better for inside, and a nice set for outside. The outside should be the ones that if they get messed up no big deal. A used set is fine. Have fun skate hard, skate well.:D

Muffin Munro
August 12th, 2011, 07:17 AM
thank you! :) cant wait to get out there!

jbgerman
August 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Outdoor quad-skating isn't really popular. In contrast to longboard-skateboarding. So large and soft wheels are offered to longboard-skaters. In packages of 4 - of course.

ursle
August 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Depending on how you want to skate outdoors, in a straight line or actually turning, you'll want to choose the size wheel that works for you, 52-57mm for rexing or jammin, 59-65mm for skating around and 65-70mm for distance.
Kryptos come in many sizes, 59,62,65 and 70mm, all are 78a in hardness and all are good outdoor wheels, just buy 2 sets of 4.

gotsk8s
August 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Also use caution when getting your skateboard wheels for skating , well not necessarily caution but, some skateboard wheels have the bearing bore more in the center of the wheel than to the edge like our skate wheels. With that you`ll get serious rub or no fit at all without cutting the wheel down to fit.

Fresh Eddie Fresh
August 12th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Also use caution when getting your skateboard wheels for skating , well not necessarily caution but, some skateboard wheels have the bearing bore more in the center of the wheel than to the edge like our skate wheels. With that you`ll get serious rub or no fit at all without cutting the wheel down to fit.

+1 If you are looking at skateboard wheels, flip them over, if the backs of them are flat (the bearings will be flush) you are golden... just buy two sets.

skate mech
August 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I currently have Zombie Hawgz on my outdoor skates.76mm dia. If I really lean, the wheel touches the Pacer plate I have on there, but the action is really too turny for what I do outside. I'm going to cut these down in width to save a bit of weight.

Ohlingsrus
August 30th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I currently have Zombie Hawgz on my outdoor skates.76mm dia. If I really lean, the wheel touches the Pacer plate I have on there, but the action is really too turny for what I do outside. I'm going to cut these down in width to save a bit of weight.

What hardness are you using? I have a set of the teal zombie Hawgs and I love em, 84a. I cut the width down to 38mm and left the height alone. I run a NTS labeda proline and don't hit my boot or plate at all. I have used them on black top and cement and they hold speed very well. Definitely not a sprinting wheel though.

Gero
August 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I also use the 84a Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs with 76mm for long outdoor races on unknown or rough asphalt. They run excellent in these conditions, have minimum weight for such a big wheel and are also really fast.

I used them last Saturday at the fast "Rhine on Skates Tour" with 135km, no problems at all with these wheels over such a distance.

Cheers

Gero

skate mech
August 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
The yellow 82a ones. They were the lightest 76mm wheel at the skate shop. I just use them for cruising out doors anyway. I second the really fast.

okie
August 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I did a lot of testing on there stuff when they were thi king about making a Rink WHEEL.

Here is a Powell G BONES it is 64mm OD and 97A duro,sounds nuts for the duro outside. But its not BD POLY its is some-kind of rubber blend.

I cut down the back so the wheel would clear the trucks. Cut the OD down to 62MM.

The are fast and smooth, even on rough asphalt.

The rubberized urethane absorbs vibration,and grips.

Now they would not tell me there process. But the bearing bores are within .002 on center line. And they are using some kind of heated bearing holes arbor to cure the bearing bore. It is much harder than the rest of the wheel.

They weigh 3.5 oz. with out the bearings after being cut down.

There parent company is Skate ONE. They make there own urethane and have a huge shop on site with MAZAKS. They have been at it longer than most and do not vendor out R & D or production.

On larger wheels hitting your boots,The low Price derby girls i build stuff for,I take off there boots,trace out the shape of there plates onto a piece of 1/4 inch of plywood. Mount back on between the boot and plate. Light weight and gives them more boot clearance.

They still need to use truck turning action on there outdoor skates so they can still adjust to the full movement vs indoors. The practice mostly on outdoor patios etc.
okie
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg109/maicomanron/HPIM0316.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg109/maicomanron/HPIM0320.jpg