PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know These Wheels?

Carly
September 18th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

While I was away on vacation I was surfing the net and came across these wheels... :rolleyes:

http://shop.amazingskates.co.uk/faster-skates-34-c.asp

I was wondering if they'd be worth getting as it could be possible to change the tyres instead of changing the whole wheel, and as I'm based in the UK where everything costs an arm and a leg would there be any benefit.
I'd be interested if anyone as used these type of wheels with a clip that holds the tyre in place. Is there any tyre slippage etc... :smile:

Thanks,
Carly
:p

gotsk8s
September 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I use the Anabolix version of that combo and have no issue with slippage at all. I`ve had that "Faster" hub on an Anabolix tire with no issues. This type of combo has been around since the late `70`s early `80`s and still going so, if you can get it, get it :wink:

Big Nick
September 18th, 2011, 03:15 AM
They sold by Gle8, he is a forum member look him up.

Fresh Eddie Fresh
September 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
The first version of the Faster hub had some side-to-side play, but I think they corrected it on more recent versions.

Carly
October 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
:wink:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you comments regarding the the Faster Wheels, I checked out Gle8's website as suggested by Big Nick.
From the link I posted at the beginning of this thread I ordered the Faster Complete Set with 90a tyre, Big Thanks to their staff on info :D:D
They arrived in the next couple of days last week, I installed bearings and tried them out at a local roller disco which has wooden floors.
I was really impressed how well they rolled, took me about half an hour to get used to them but they gripped really well and I was able to slide them a little not much but it was enough to make a few tight turns.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=331&pictureid=2978

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=331&pictureid=2979

In the second picture which is not very clear :redface: you maybe able to see a small gap between the retaining ring and the tyre, about 1mm they all had that but after I checked the wheels on the way home the tyres on the left side of the skate had closed in a little. Didn't affect my skating though but made it more enjoyable, the roll on these were a lot better than previous nylon wheels used but as I'm 210lbs as previously mentioned in the forum alloy hub wheels may suit me better. :p
Will hopefully try them out again this week, by the way they are purple not blue and with them being quite wide at 44mm I didn't have much wheel clipping. :rolleyes:

Bondagekitten
October 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I am getting more and more tempted by these. I am heavier than you (around 250-60) and currently am using 89a fugitve pushers and 92a fugitives. I skate on a pretty slippy floor. Today I tried going on all 8 92a's when one of the girls swapped out for my 4 pushers to try. I liked it but was finding it a bit slippy. How do they compare grip wise to you from your pushers and had you ever tried on all 92 fugis? I use an invader DA45 plate (sport/short forward) on purple cushions and was more comfy on the harder wheels when I tightened them up and spotted your on the same plate (diff cushions though) and looking for a comaparson if that's ok.

I am a bit of a cheapskate and love the idea of being able to just change the tyres instead of the whole wheel and 30 for 4 sounds great (less than fugitives here) so if I got braver I could just order 4 96a's and swap 4 over and keep the other 4 for rotating them for ware. I am worried that I might find them too sticky but a lot of the girls in my league wear hybrids of one kind or another so are on 82-84a but they are all a lot lighter than me so can get away with it without sticking to the floor.

swolltitan
October 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
The first version of the Faster hub had some side-to-side play, but I think they corrected it on more recent versions.

The first versions were created for the older Labeda/Vanguard tires that are wider on the inside. The newer are created for the Faster/Anabolix style. You can't use the new hubs on many of the older tires.

gotsk8s
October 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
:wink:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you comments regarding the the Faster Wheels, I checked out Gle8's website as suggested by Big Nick.
From the link I posted at the beginning of this thread I ordered the Faster Complete Set with 90a tyre, Big Thanks to their staff on info :D:D
They arrived in the next couple of days last week, I installed bearings and tried them out at a local roller disco which has wooden floors.
I was really impressed how well they rolled, took me about half an hour to get used to them but they gripped really well and I was able to slide them a little not much but it was enough to make a few tight turns.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=331&pictureid=2978

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=331&pictureid=2979

In the second picture which is not very clear :redface: you maybe able to see a small gap between the retaining ring and the tyre, about 1mm they all had that but after I checked the wheels on the way home the tyres on the left side of the skate had closed in a little. Didn't affect my skating though but made it more enjoyable, the roll on these were a lot better than previous nylon wheels used but as I'm 210lbs as previously mentioned in the forum alloy hub wheels may suit me better. :p
Will hopefully try them out again this week, by the way they are purple not blue and with them being quite wide at 44mm I didn't have much wheel clipping. :rolleyes:
I see that little gap. I had the same thing happen with the Faster Lite hubs and Anabolix Redlines that I once upon a time had. If the hub will go in far enough you can do what I did which is get some more snap rings one size up from the ones that hold the hub in and put them in between the tire and the snap ring holding the hub in, like this:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/lambohaha/003-22.jpg
Works like a champ but what it will do is put the tire that much further out bound. Wasn`t enough to affect me but could others, just something to consider.

Carly
October 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Bondagekitten,

Thank you for the feedback, the wheels are going well so far, when I ordered the skates from the US I opted for the sport mount, as I do skate outdoors from time to time and although they came with the pushers I've only tried them a couple of times indoors.
They were grippy enough but I should have gone also with a set of 92a's after reading previous threads where heavier skater recommended going with metal hubs due to nylon hub wheel compression with I've experienced with some wheels.
I also had a good chat with skate retailers and looking at the price of parts in the UK I thought it would be money saved to get wheels where the tyres can be changed and save on costs, don't get me wrong I'm still always looking at purchase other wheels SEDS :rolleyes:
As your aware mine are the softer tyres 90a and if there's plans for a more wider selection of hardness, outdoor for example then I'll consider those once funds allow... :redface:

Hi Gotsk8's - Thanks for the info that very helpful and the pictures are great, how do you find the dual compound tyres, I'm not a derby player but would be interested in everyone that uses them.

gotsk8s
October 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I don`t have these any more BUT the place where you got yours has them. They are called the Faster Demiurge. Natural w/green softer duro stripe. They fit right on your hubs :wink:

Gle8
October 31st, 2011, 03:18 AM
The 1st run had a small gap (about the size of an additional retaining ring, as seen above) while all subsequent runs did not have a gap. Even with the gap and no extra retaining ring, I haven't found the slippage to be a problem.

There are still some Faster Hubs out there from the 1st run (with the gap) but any Faster Lite hubs out there will be 2nd run or later.

Hope that helps!

Carly
November 7th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Gle8,
So far your recommendations have been spot on regarding these wheels, really work well on various indoor surfaces.
Still need a bit more time to bed them in, in honesty they're not the lightest but having the option to change tyres once they wear, sure makes them a good purchase.
If manufactures had an option to re-tyre some of their more top of the range wheels, then again who would benefit, them or us?
:biggrin:

rufusprime99
November 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I had the gap on mine, but eliminated it. I installed the hub in the tire, then put the clip on. I then tapped the hub back out so that the clip is now flush with the tire. There has been no hint whatsoever of any side to side movement of hub inside the tire. And I like hard cutting. Folks go on and on about this. I don't think it is a big deal at all. The hub is wedged pretty tight in the tire. Leave the gap, or tap the hub out a smidge so the clip is flush with the wheel. It won't move. Mine hasn't.

scubask8tr
November 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I had the gap on mine, but eliminated it. I installed the hub in the tire, then put the clip on. I then tapped the hub back out so that the clip is now flush with the tire. There has been no hint whatsoever of any side to side movement of hub inside the tire. And I like hard cutting. Folks go on and on about this. I don't think it is a big deal at all. The hub is wedged pretty tight in the tire. Leave the gap, or tap the hub out a smidge so the clip is flush with the wheel. It won't move. Mine hasn't.

Dare ya to take the clips off n skate em.:p

rufusprime99
November 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Dare ya to take the clips off n skate em.:p

Oh, I WOULD, but ya know, those clips are a PITA to take off.... :wink::rolleyes::biggrin: