PDA

View Full Version : Converse leather sneaker Rannalli Rocket SA45

Armadillo
October 1st, 2011, 04:09 AM
These skates are for a large skater who wanted an outdoor trail skating build. He is a big guy with a size 13 foot. The Converse leather sneakers are what felt good on his feet, so he sent them to me for an outdoor optimized build using carbon fiber sheet to stiffen the sole.

Plates are size 10 Rannalli Rockets SA45 and the cushion scheme is a "Semi-DA" with a 1/2 height cone below the truck.
Kudos to Wes - "Wild42" - for making me some custom pivot cups and Doc Sk8 for coming up with some proper fitting Rannalli SA trucks for me.
The carbon fiber sheet and plate are both glue mounted, but I will be adding four 8-32 stainless screws with t-nuts per plate as a safety backup to the glue, since this is my first go at glue mounting aluminum plates.
The blue powder coating seemed to give good adhesion with the glue during testing, so the screws are probably unnecessary, but safety comes first for all my outdoor skate builds.
I would have done a reversed mount, but skater is skilled and prefers to do 180 degree reverse stops when serious braking is needed.
Chrome-moly fully threaded reversed kingpins. Wheelbase is 8.5".
Wheels will be 70mm Krypto Classic clear, not my Twisters used in the PICs.
This setup can take up to 76mm wheels though and I can see a set of 84A 76mm Zombie Hawgs being on these plates in the not too distant future. Because of the 200+ lb skater weight, I opted for the larger 1" OD top cushion with its top edge beveled to allow a snug fit in the 7/8" truck lip.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/ConverseLeather/IMG_4052.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/ConverseLeather/IMG_4050.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/ConverseLeather/IMG_4051.jpg

-Armadillo

Big Nick
October 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
Those are really nice shoes.

Armadillo
October 1st, 2011, 06:22 AM
Those are really nice shoes.

Yeah, I felt good doing this build because the shoes seemed so quality that I thought they could last for a whole lifetime of of outdoor skating!

-Armadillo

Big Nick
October 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Keep us updated mate, You've done a very tidy job on the mount. Nice work.

Grayroller
October 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I am the proud new owner of the above skates...The shoes are perfect for the outdoor build..They have excellent padding and smooth out the asphalt like skating on ice..Dillo did a great job...Finished skate has Krypto Classic 76 mm wheels which even make sidewalk seams disappear...Looking forward to many miles of enjoyable workouts........69 years young and still rolling...

Runs with scissors...........

Armadillo
October 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I am the proud new owner of the above skates...The shoes are perfect for the outdoor build..They have excellent padding and smooth out the asphalt like skating on ice..Dillo did a great job...Finished skate has Krypto Classic 76 mm wheels which even make sidewalk seams disappear...Looking forward to many miles of enjoyable workouts........69 years young and still rolling...

Runs with scissors...........

Bill, I didn't get a chance to take a PIC of your new skates with the 76mm Kryptonic Classic wheels on them. Can you post one here soon? They really look much cooler with those larger than life wheels installed.

-Armadillo

Grayroller
October 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Bill, I didn't get a chance to take a PIC of your new skates with the 76mm Kryptonic Classic wheels on them. Can you post one here soon? They really look much cooler with those larger than life wheels installed.

-Armadillo

Actually there is a pic on the thread "can anything be done about rougher surfaces" 4 threads from this one...Bill

Runs with scissors........

Armadillo
October 25th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Actually there is a pic on the thread "can anything be done about rougher surfaces" 4 threads from this one...Bill

Runs with scissors........

Yeah, you are right, but I was trying to forget about that PIC since it turned out so UGLY and washed out.

-Armadillo