PDA

View Full Version : ? about salomon gel sliders wrist guards

redhead_luvs2sk8
July 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hey I was wondering if any of you have heard of the salomon gel slider wrist guards or other wrist guards like them. Basically they are short and pretty much cover only your wrist vs traditional ones which come half way up the arm. Pretty much piano is my life so if something happens to my wrists it would so not be cool. The manufacture & those selling these claim they are just as safe due to new innovation but when it comes to my wrists I don't want to take any chances. I wanted some opinions of fellow skaters. Thanx

sk8scott
July 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The gel sliders are great for protecting your palms, and they provide a little bit of impact protection. Still, they're not as good as traditional wrist guards for protecting the bones of the wrist joint.

If you're just getting started, I'd recommend full wrist guards. A lot of beginners will fall backwards and put their hands down, straight-armed, to catch themselves. This is a nice recipe for broken wrists. Full wrist guards might not totally prevent fractures in this scenario, but they may minimize the damage.

----Scott

Powerizer1
July 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
U want to get one that has wrist support too, but make sure to tighten it enuf so that there is no possibility of your wrist hyper-extending when u fall on ur palm.

I am happy with my K2 guard. No hard shocks at all when falling on my palms. Worth every penny. Must have fallen 15+ times and have always come out pretty ok. Always amazed that it protects me from so much potential injuries and pain from such a simple looking thingy. No fancy gel but has padding which visually doesn't look that much/thick, but in practice it's more than adequate.

The ones with the removal plastic slider, well, I don't like it. Hard on impact, and worse still, the shape of the plastic can cause u to twist ur palm in a fall in a not so good way.

s243a
July 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I havenít tried the Salomon gel sliders but I have tried the smx wrist gaurds.

http://www.sportmart.ca/store/images/products/30SMXPL3PK_41.jpg
http://www.sportmart.ca/store/2product.asp?countryID=0&category%5Fid=47&product%5Fid=10101&affID=5534

The smx wrist guards look like the provide more protection then the salmon gell sliders and I still find that traditional wrist guards protect your wrist more the the smx ones. . My advise to people is if they donít know how to fall properly get traditional wrist guards.

That said, I have both types and use the smx guards almost exclusively. The are cooler more comfortable and give you more mobility on your wrist. Well, they donít protect your wrist as much because of the increased mobility they protect your fingers more.

For aggressive skating the advantages are much more numerous. For instance if I lose balance and need to put my hand down on a ledge with these guards my palm just slides on the ledge and I keep skating. With traditional guards I would probably get my fingers dirty and need to stop.

If you skate vert traditional wrist gaurds are not good if you fall at weird angles because the slidering surface is small and it is harder to orient your wrist and arm to get the sliding part on the sliding surface. With the smx gaurds it is considerably easier to get the sliding part on the surface of the vert. This allows you to reduce the impact on your hip by putting some weight on your palms until you can get your knees into sliding position.

There are types of falls though where the smx guards do not do as well. One area that the smx gaurds perform worse is If you fall from high up and have very little lateral speed. You might have this type of fall if you are jumping a spine or trying to spin onto a ledge. I have been considering taking both types of wrist gauds to the park and where a different type depending on the type of trick Iím trying.

SeJoWa
July 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hi redhead, I'd go with Scott's advice if you're still fairly new to skating. Regarding the Salomon Gels, I've been using them since a while now and have put them to the test - I'll post some pics tomorrow.

They are very comfy, and I have procured some Ersatz pairs because you can't get them anymore around here.

skate101
July 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
of course they're not as protective overall, however if you fall properly, slide on ya knees pads, without your hands landing on the ground - wrist guards/palm sliders allow your hands to slide on the palms in the event your hands do touch ground -it's possible to still brake your wrist with or without wrist guards/palm sliders on if you brake a fall with your hands, but it would be a cleaner brake then not wearing them as opposed to crushing your hands-as a skate instructor for many years, it's best to learn how to fall properly and practice until you're comfortable doing it, so that you can go down on ya knees in any situation, like the pros do when they can't recompose, they just put one knee down and propose - one of the songs i wrote and rap is called "Glide, Slide, Save ya hide" and it's about falling properly - you can hear my songs on SKATE101.com (http://www.SKATE101.com) and www.myspace.com/BoogieBackRap (http://www.myspace.com/BoogieBackRap)

cdsdave
July 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The best way to protect your wrist in a fall is don't try to take the impact of the fall on your hands. In gymnastics they teach you to pull your arm in when you fall backwards so you take the impact on your arm and back not your wrist and hand. When you catch a wheel and fall hard forward you should take the weight of the fall on your knees and elbows so make sure you have good elbow and knee pads. These are lessons I have learned in 19 years of inline skating.

SeJoWa
July 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.wagna.net/Original/2006/2006-10-11%20Riehen%20fall%20DSCF2259%20med.JPG

qed. Skating as contact sports, falling foward... whew!

redhead_luvs2sk8
July 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanx everyone for your help. I'm glad I decided to ask. I was just going to go ahead and get them but I thought it might be a good idea to get some advice from those in the know...I'm glad I did. I'm definitely going to go with traditional wrist guards for now.