PDA

View Full Version : Tips, Trick, and Secrets - What Has Worked For You..

8-Ball
January 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Id like to start this thread, where people can post those little short cuts that they have run into, that may save one or two folks from a minor melt down.

What has worked for you?

It is always a pain, pulling a plate off of a skate, where the mount bolts pass from inside of the boot to the plate. Bolts are always long, so the mount-er will hack saw off the bolt.

This then leaves a BURR on the bolt, and makes it nearly impossible to unscrew the nut, with out the bolt spinning. How do you solve this issue???

Answer... take a dremel or other grinding tool.. and grind the bolt down flush to the top of the nut. Once this is flush... use any socket and the bolt will come cleanly off without any issues.

Its important to NOT attemot to remove first.. Once the bolt starts to spin, it can be diffiuclt to re-tighten.

Anyone else have any tips to share??

skate mech
January 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I've cut the nut to the point it just falls off.

I made a stand to hold both boots side by each when I'm doing my plate layout, so I can get them "just right".

MR SHELBY
January 6th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I use a VERY SMALL set of needle nose vise grips to undo cobby break off mounting bolts. Dremels have a nasty habit of biting into the metal & gouging a plate if they get half a chance.

If you use a set of Vise Grips instead of a break off tool they will shear right at the mounting bolt & usually come loose quite easily. Been several years since I used them though...

Derrick...:smile:...

loony888
January 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
if i'm removing old mounting bolts that have a philips head in the boot with a nut on the outside i use a large drill bit to drill the large tapered head off. the shaft of the bolt and nut fall away, no damage to the plate.

cass38a
January 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
If I have a crappy set of skates I chuck them in the bin. Saves heaps of meltdowns in the long run:D

0zsk8r
January 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Im not up with tips much, just use a Basic non toxic cleaning agent for fafnir bearings is kerosine & a toothbrush, clip axles do get dirty on the inside from the wind vortex sucking in dust over time within your wheels.. so don't forget to clean out your clip axles with wd40 type wash cleaners etc or dip them in petrol.. keep using the clips back n forth and re-bath them untill they clip nice & smooth again...
then use sowing machine oil or a very light lube or uncle Charlies magic lube if they are in your stash :) then wipe away the excess & your good to go :)

Nathan_
January 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Fresh meat tip,

Do I have 7mm or 8mm bearings?
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150174447830063

Nathan_
January 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Back To Basics - Axle Nuts

http://youtu.be/nYzwCv1-plM

I hate to see smashed shields. I think we all have been guilty of this at one point in our life, even if we don't know it.

Next video will show how to replace the shield if it is bent.

Nathan_
January 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Installing toe stops on:
Avenger
Invader
XK4
Power-Trac (new style)
Proline
Reactor
Revenge

http://youtu.be/rM9EmQbrcKQ