PDA

View Full Version : Hypnos Vs. Regular In-Lines?

Huy
September 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I am planning on getting some in-line skates for $200+ but I am unsure if the hypnos are any worse, in performance, than the undetachable of about the same price. Could anyone give me feedback on this? Thanks!

artisan555
September 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
wellllllll. . . a couple of years ago a certain web site editor (kathie!) and i went down to a store in venice beach to check out the hypnos. i was unempressed with them. i suppose it was an alright skate, but the percieved advantage was that you could unclip the skate frame and walk around in the boot----no way! it was an uncomfortable boot with the skate on, but with the frame off, it was nearly impossible to walk in that boot. to be a decent skate boot it had to be fairly stiff, so as a walking boot it was robot walking. so on that account it was a bad execution of an odd idea.

now if you wanted different frames for say, indoor and outdoor wheels, i suppose it would be ok. but if you wanted a convertable skate to skate on the beach and then be able to go to a restaraunt, i'd say get a dedicated pair of skates and a pair of those thin nike warm-up shoes that fit compactly in a sholder bag, or some nice sandals.

but like i say, i only tried a pair on at a store, so if somebody actually has a pair let's hear from you!

Huy
September 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm starting out in skating and I don't want to use 200 dollars on something I am going to regret for the next few years. I'd be glad if others gave me some more feedback, right now, the hypnos don't seem to be for me.

BTW: I am looking to get the "Twister II Urban Recreational In-Line" if I do not get the hypno. Also, I am very interesting in slaloming.

b3eyes
September 25th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm starting out in skating and I don't want to use 200 dollars on something I am going to regret for the next few years. I'd be glad if others gave me some more feedback, right now, the hypnos don't seem to be for me.

BTW: I am looking to get the "Twister II Urban Recreational In-Line" if I do not get the hypno. Also, I am very interesting in slaloming.

you can always buy a decent pair of inline skate for around $100 first...should last you at least a year or two, then you can upgrade to something better. make sure you get paddings (normally online for under $50, including elbow pads, knee pads, and most importantly wrist guards), these will last you many years:D

Jon B.
September 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
...and most importantly wrist guards), these will last you many years:D

You've obivously never seen my wrist guards, pair #6. JB

Huy
September 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
you can always buy a decent pair of inline skate for around $100 first...should last you at least a year or two, then you can upgrade to something better. make sure you get paddings (normally online for under $50, including elbow pads, knee pads, and most importantly wrist guards), these will last you many years:D

Hm.. I checked around and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Twister XV is any good?

http://www.olympiasports.net/family/index.jsp?categoryId=701922&cp=701917&parentPage=search&fDomain=SkatesMen&searchBySize=Y&fCat=701922&searchId=701922&fpricesort=priceDescending&searchId=701922&searchId=701922

If not, is there any suggestions on which skates would be good for a decent price?

I am sure I am going for wrist guards, don't want my wrist getting messed up.. I and the knee pads will be covered by my jeans, I wear very baggy jeans, the elbow pads, I don't really mind.

b3eyes
September 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
You've obivously never seen my wrist guards, pair #6. JB

on 3rd pair myself =P but same knee and elbow pads for umm 10 yrs =P
then again i stopped using paddings for few yrs now...got lazy :D

b3eyes
September 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Hm.. I checked around and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Twister XV is any good?

http://www.olympiasports.net/family/index.jsp?categoryId=701922&cp=701917&parentPage=search&fDomain=SkatesMen&searchBySize=Y&fCat=701922&searchId=701922&fpricesort=priceDescending&searchId=701922&searchId=701922

im used to aggressive, so dont know much about any other type of blades...from the look of it, it seems okay, not sure about the bright orange color (personal preference ;) ), also i didnt find any specification on the bearings, but it doesnt matter much, since it's your first pair

you can also consider Spirtblade on the next page, my friend had a pair of spiritblade's older model which lasted him a long time and he swears by it

Bladerunner is a sub division of Rollerblade i believe, think of it as Old Navy and Banana Republic...basically cheaper blades by the same company. around the price range of that Twister XV is prob a good starter pair

shop around before you buy, there're plenty of places online

cheers~

Huy
September 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
im used to aggressive, so dont know much about any other type of blades...from the look of it, it seems okay, not sure about the bright orange color (personal preference ;) ), also i didnt find any specification on the bearings, but it doesnt matter much, since it's your first pair

you can also consider Spirtblade on the next page, my friend had a pair of spiritblade's older model which lasted him a long time and he swears by it

Bladerunner is a sub division of Rollerblade i believe, think of it as Old Navy and Banana Republic...basically cheaper blades by the same company. around the price range of that Twister XV is prob a good starter pair

shop around before you buy, there're plenty of places online

cheers~

Thanks! I went out and got the Spiritblades before I read your post, it's really reassuring to know that someone on here brought it up as a suggestion.

Got 'em for around $78, haha, 20% sale.

I took 'em out for a spin today with my friend, second time on rollerblades (last time used friend's for like 20 minutes). I am learning pretty fast. :D Should get wrist guards and knee pads soon.

b3eyes
September 28th, 2006, 05:26 AM
ha ha grats on your new purchase, get those paddings asap, some sites offer full set of knee, elbow and wrist for under $20, helmet prob run you another $30 or so (many sites on sale) you can prob do w/o helmet, i never got one~ :D

Jon B.
September 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
...you can prob do w/o helmet, i never got one~ :D
You had to say it, didn't you. Operational wrists without a functioning brain would be like owning a car with no engine. :rolleyes: JB

Pepper Montana
September 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I have known 3 people in my lifetime who have had traumatic brain injuries. Imagine a really funny, smart person, who is fun to talk with, having to learn how to eat with a spoon. That is what a brain injury can do. Brain injuries are mostly avoidable. Helmets might not fit your fashion sense but they definitely make sense!

Now, does anyone know what happened to my cigarette thread? That is something else that I need to climb on my soapbox about...

Kathie Fry
September 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
you can prob do w/o helmet, i never got one~ Recommending that people skate without a helmet is SUCH bad advice. What if they ended up with a serious head injury? I think it's time to resurrect our helmet discussion: Do Skaters Need To Wear Helmets? (http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452)

- Kathie

Huy
September 29th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah helmet doesn't fit my fashion sense, but it seems like a good idea to get one, haha.