PDA

View Full Version : Kids at the rink

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey all,
Something I have been noticing on this site that is alarming to me is the way so many of the folks here refer to the kids who don't skate so well or even at the rink at all in such a negative way. Every one of us needs to remember that without new blood starting in this hobby, all of us would be without a rink to skate in. That includes the few here that own or are involved with a rink. When I was a kid in the 70-80's the rinks I went to in the Inland Empire of So. Cal. were packed. Kids, adults, even some grandparents skated. I have been to a couple rinks in the last year and am shocked how few people go anymore. It seems to be picking up again though.
So, instead of complaining about kids or brats or whatever other clever name you choose, offer a tip or two to help them learn. This is a great hobby and a fantastic source of exercise and God knows that kids today need to get out from in front of the X-Box! Let's give them a break.
Bill

HK47
January 30th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I think you'll find most of the complaints revolve around inadequate supervision of kids at rinks, and no help for them to learn how to skate well. I love teaching kids to skate, but the opportunity to do so outside of derby hasn't presented itself.

Dec8rSk8r
January 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
So, instead of complaining about kids or brats or whatever other clever name you choose, offer a tip or two to help them learn.

If they cause me to break my bones acting like brats, I think I will call them what I want. :p You may feel free to disapprove. ;)

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I think you'll find most of the complaints revolve around inadequate supervision of kids at rinks, and no help for them to learn how to skate well. I love teaching kids to skate, but the opportunity to do so outside of derby hasn't presented itself.

I do agree with the unsupervised kid part. Also the 2 rinks I have been to have lousy floorguards. They really do need to watch for things more carefully. I also just love how some "parents" just drop off their kids, and sometimes these kids are 3-6 yrs old. Rinks are NOT daycare centers. Parents should be there with the young ones for many reasons!

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
If they cause me to break my bones acting like brats, I think I will call them what I want. :p You may feel free to disapprove. ;)
While no bones were broken in the fall, On Sat. night, some self righteous jerk tripped over my 3 year old as she was holding my hand skating. Getting up, he started lambasting my little girl in Spanglish, making her cry hysterically. I assisted him in bruising his face, and when the rink owner and 3 floorguards pulled me off of him, HE got kicked out.
Kids make mistakes, if you fall so hard you break bones, maybe you were going a bit too fast. If you lay into a kid, pray it's parent isn't as protective as me.

Dec8rSk8r
January 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM
While no bones were broken in the fall, On Sat. night, some self righteous jerk tripped over my 3 year old as she was holding my hand skating. Getting up, he started lambasting my little girl in Spanglish, making her cry hysterically. I assisted him in bruising his face, and when the rink owner and 3 floorguards pulled me off of him, HE got kicked out.
Kids make mistakes, if you fall so hard you break bones, maybe you were going a bit too fast. If you lay into a kid, pray it's parent isn't as protective as me.
Maybe you weren't there when I got hurt to know what happened, and therefore, should STFU about it! :tongue:

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM
All I am saying is there is no reason to go off on a kid. They paid the same money as you did to be in that building. You don't own the floor. You also may want to watch your tone. There isn't any reason to act like an ass.

Reserector
January 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
If it weren't for kids birthday parties, there would be no rinks near me. The problem I see is that the adults are not being attracted to skating. It used to be that once the adults got bitten by the skate bug, they drug others along with them. After all, it is the adults that have the transportation.

Most of my falls that involved others were because of kids, but that is simply because 99% of the other skaters are kids. If there were more adults, I would crash with them as well.

Reserector
January 30th, 2012, 10:05 PM
All I am saying is there is no reason to go off on a kid. They paid the same money as you did to be in that building. You don't own the floor. You also may want to watch your tone. There isn't any reason to act like an ass.

Getting your legs knocked out from under you and suddenly finding yoruself in agony can bring out the ugly side of any of us. There is something primal about that reaction.

Dec8rSk8r
January 30th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Where did I say I went off on this kid??? :confused::mad: I did not, we picked ourselves up off the floor, asked if each other was ok, the kid apologised, I told the kid it was ok (even though I wasn't), and that was the end of our exchange. :rolleyes: If I want to vent and call him a brat afterwards, I will do so.

I noticed you calling the person that was involved in your daughters accident a jerk, so how are you so morally superior to me? At least I didn't hit anyone over it. :rolleyes: It sounds like you know quite a bit about acting like an ass. :rolleyes::D Your lucky the police weren't called, if you put hands on him first, I believe that is called assault.

RIC0
January 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Parents walking on the outside with kid in hand in sloooooooow mooooooooootion is an accident waiting to happen. Rinks fault for not explaining skating do's and dont's.

Kids skating on the outside by themself in Sloooooooooo Mooooooootion is an accident waiting to happen. Rinks fault for not explaining skating do's and dont's. Scar still on my head from doing this. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Parenst not educating their kids on how to skate. Another common issue in lack of supervision or just ingnorance. Look both ways before entering the floor just like crossing the street. If you get leveled, lesson learned better than being run over by a car. skating the wrong directions torques my nuts more than anything.

Talking to kids as I tried last week and being told to STFU it's a free country we can stand on the floor if we want brings out the bad person in me. My reply was, if I accidently bump into you ,knock you down and you break or bleed. Not my fault your just enjoying your free country but in the wrong place punk.

I find that 99% of the places I go the rink owners, managment and guards should all be fired as they have no clue what they are doing as they did in the 80s were whistles were blown all night keeping people of all ages in check.

PS.. I skate 99.9999999% of the time with my 6 year old daughter. She knows the rules of skating.

Dec8rSk8r
January 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I usually take a carload of kids and I am the one the kids I bring are mainly concerned with skating correctly in front of, not the floorguards. It seems like kids have to really be doing something evil and be warned more than one before the floor guards give them a time out. I have only seen it happen once in a blue moon, and not with mine. I will give the kids I bring a timeout quick because they are old enough know better,and they have been told repeatedly.

All kids are capable of bratty BS if not supervised well. I know me and my friends acted like brats at the rink, and that's why I started going there with mine. ;)

Sidewinder
January 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I feel like there was important vital information left out of the original post.

Punching someone else's kid for tripping over your kid and being a general a-hole isn't really the same spirit as the... be nice to all kids cause they are our future...post.

Usually for every happy kid holding hand skater, there are a bunch of other ones being dragged across the floor by their parents at any given time. Couple of differing views there.

Acid Burn
January 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM

A rink near Seattle WA I've been known to frequent does pretty well with supervision and kicking the idiots off the floor.

Last time I was there, some lady FLAPPING HER GUMS ON A CELL PHONE was skating, not looking where she was going and smashed into me before I had a chance to react, sending me flying. Of course I wasn't wearing gear (I have a bad habit of not wearing gear at session skates) and I skinned my knee. Had a lovely bruise too.

It's been three months and that patch of skin on my knee is STILL sensitive to weight or other things. :mad::mad::mad:

The floor guards kicked her off the floor, actually out of the building for that. YAY!!!!!

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM
A rink near Seattle WA I've been known to frequent does pretty well with supervision and kicking the idiots off the floor.

Last time I was there, some lady FLAPPING HER GUMS ON A CELL PHONE was skating, not looking where she was going and smashed into me before I had a chance to react, sending me flying. Of course I wasn't wearing gear (I have a bad habit of not wearing gear at session skates) and I skinned my knee. Had a lovely bruise too.

It's been three months and that patch of skin on my knee is STILL sensitive to weight or other things. :mad::mad::mad:

The floor guards kicked her off the floor, actually out of the building for that. YAY!!!!!

Are you from B.C. or Vancouver WA? If you're from BC, what Seattle area rink do you go to? I have been alternating between the one in Marysville WA and Skagit Skate in Burlington. My 7 year old daughter takes artistic lessons in Burlington.

Acid Burn
January 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Are you from B.C. or Vancouver WA? If you're from BC, what Seattle area rink do you go to? I have been alternating between the one in Marysville WA and Skagit Skate in Burlington. My 7 year old daughter takes artistic lessons in Burlington.

Vancouver, BC. And I usually go to Pattison's in Federal Way since I have a friend who lives there.

I want to make a field trip to Skagit Skate but none of my loser friends ever want to go! There's ONE rink here, and it's got skate court. Yuck.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I feel like there was important vital information left out of the original post.

Punching someone else's kid for tripping over your kid and being a general a-hole isn't really the same spirit as the... be nice to all kids cause they are our future...post.

Usually for every happy kid holding hand skater, there are a bunch of other ones being dragged across the floor by their parents at any given time. Couple of differing views there.

Punching someone's KID is not acceptable. However, in my particular case it was a 30 ish adult that was hauling ass backwards, took out my 3 year old and then started in yelling at her. At that point he becomes an endangered species.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Vancouver, BC. And I usually go to Pattison's in Federal Way since I have a friend who lives there.

I want to make a field trip to Skagit Skate but none of my loser friends ever want to go! There's ONE rink here, and it's got skate court. Yuck.

We are usually at Skagit when we go. It is kind of small, but the folks there are nice. We usually go Wed night for pizza night. The pizza SUCKS but the kids like it and it is some mid week physical activity. We also go Saturday night. Friday nights suck as it is all teens, half of which don't put on skates as they open the floor to dancing @ 10:30. Friday also has about the worst music I have ever heard...and I DO remember disco! It is usually techno and hard core "gangsta rap". If ya ever come down, LMK and we could meet up. Maybe even a cold one or 2...as long as you are of age!!
Bill

rufusprime99
January 30th, 2012, 11:07 PM

There is a huge difference on going off on a kid and not liking skating on a floor full of kids. *edit* There are adults that are beginners that greatly enjoy the predictability and order of and adult skate. No one going against the flow of traffic, little if any crossing the infield, fast skaters on the outside, slow on the inside. People keeping their eyes open and looking out. An open session can be very different. Little kid loses his/her buddy. Reverses or make odd cross across traffic. Chasing around. Falling a lot. (no crime there, but an extra obstacle on the floor) And basically, a lot more random actions on a floor with a bunch of kids than an adult skate. I don't find this intimidating because I can maneuver very well, and I am also very observant. I see who is with who, and when they get separated, SOMEONE is going to do something not so smart to get back with the group. I actually enjoy getting around them sometimes. Plus, for a beginner adult, there is the extra issue of knocking a kid down. The odd fact is, the adult is much more likely to get injured than the kid, but the adult is more likely to feel bad about knocking a kid down. This is the main factor why a less skilled adult does not like an open session vs an adult. We aren't hating on kids. We, as adults, are just expressing our preference for skating an adult session. Without adult sessions, some new adult skaters would just blow it off. Too much risk of hitting a kid, hurting that kid, and/or hurting themselves.

Acid Burn
January 30th, 2012, 11:14 PM
We are usually at Skagit when we go. It is kind of small, but the folks there are nice. We usually go Wed night for pizza night. The pizza SUCKS but the kids like it and it is some mid week physical activity. We also go Saturday night. Friday nights suck as it is all teens, half of which don't put on skates as they open the floor to dancing @ 10:30. Friday also has about the worst music I have ever heard...and I DO remember disco! It is usually techno and hard core "gangsta rap". If ya ever come down, LMK and we could meet up. Maybe even a cold one or 2...as long as you are of age!!
Bill

I'd probably make it a Saturday night, my work schedule is a little nutty at the moment :)

Finn 427
January 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM

It seems like a double edged sword your playin with in this comment. If everyone pays the same money, are we in our rights to all skate and act how we please? Not likely. If I was cutting sideways and tripping people, going against the flow, eating/drinking on the floor, playing on my fone, wearing earphones and not caring I was in the world I am, I am sure someone would let me k ow otherwise. But kids are kinda allowed to do such things as they are KIDS.

I get the fact we all need to learn, and as has been said a many a time, supervision is a key factor but is hardly applied. With teens and adults alike, when I see the above things mentioned I see it as sheer arrogance on their part for no caring about other skaters.

And the way society is, I would be a bit hesitant to try to give lessons to a youngster for fear of what the parent may think my intentions actually were.
Many a time I have stopped to help a fallen skater, young or old and have been told off more than thanked.. Even though the rink (guard) couldn't care less!

Sidewinder
January 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Punching someone's KID is not acceptable. However, in my particular case it was a 30 ish adult that was hauling ass backwards, took out my 3 year old and then started in yelling at her. At that point he becomes an endangered species.

Nonetheless, that's kind of important information and context. For every precious snowflake out there holding hands with mommy, there is 8 other kids getting dragged across the floor by a parent that can't skate.

I don't advocate running over them, but I don't advocate punching someone in the face either. I will assume there were better decisions to be made on both parts and leave it at that.

Parents. Learn to skate.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM
First off, I am not "blathering" about anything. I had made an observation in reading MANY threads on this site posted by supposed adults. You bring up adult sessions, kids shouldn't be an issue there. This thread was started about noticing adults complaining about kids at a family friendly establishment learning or practicing a hobby. I also brought up the fact that if it weren't for these kids, we would have no rinks to skate at as there are not enough of us skating to support a business.
It truly gets old the way a few of the people on this site have to jump into a thread using insulting terms and attitude. I would really like to know if these "people" would use the same tone if talking face to face.

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Nonetheless, that's kind of important information and context. For every precious snowflake out there holding hands with mommy, there is 8 other kids getting dragged across the floor by a parent that can't skate.

I don't advocate running over them, but I don't advocate punching someone in the face either. I will assume there were better decisions to be made on both parts and leave it at that.

Parents. Learn to skate.

There were surely better choices. And usually I detest violence, having been involved in it for years as a doorman in a bar frequented by a certain 1%'er biker group. But anyone with a kid knows that 1. when your kid is hurt, you go into defensive mode. AND 2. If any ADULT tears into your kid for something the adult did, you stick up for your kid.

As for non skating parents "teaching" their kids to skate, I got nothing! My wife is a non skater who is learning and bless her heart, she does the best she can to give me a few minutes free of my little monkey so that I can get some laps in. She is catching on though, and usually stays in the middle of the floor. It is funny watching her get to the exit though!! It is like real life "Frogger"!

bmb527
January 30th, 2012, 11:36 PM
It seems like a double edged sword your playin with in this comment. If everyone pays the same money, are we in our rights to all skate and act how we please? Not likely. If I was cutting sideways and tripping people, going against the flow, eating/drinking on the floor, playing on my fone, wearing earphones and not caring I was in the world I am, I am sure someone would let me k ow otherwise. But kids are kinda allowed to do such things as they are KIDS.

I get the fact we all need to learn, and as has been said a many a time, supervision is a key factor but is hardly applied. With teens and adults alike, when I see the above things mentioned I see it as sheer arrogance on their part for no caring about other skaters.

And the way society is, I would be a bit hesitant to try to give lessons to a youngster for fear of what the parent may think my intentions actually were.
Many a time I have stopped to help a fallen skater, young or old and have been told off more than thanked.. Even though the rink (guard) couldn't care less!
I agree completely! The thing I notice is the ones with the headphones on are usually the experienced "Jam" skaters goint to their own music.

rufusprime99
January 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM
It truly gets old the way a few of the people on this site have to jump into a thread using insulting terms and attitude. I would really like to know if these "people" would use the same tone if talking face to face.

A lot of the skaters that post here regularly are advanced skaters. We could not do much advanced skating in a room full of kids.

*edit*

funkysk8r
January 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Well, i'm def not gonna join in the mudslinging here-i have my opinions and will keep them to myself, thank you very much. Now on the kids-it's true, we would be finished without the young ones to carry the torch if you will, but nothings worse than kids who are old enough to know better-i'm talking 12-15yr. olds chasing each other the wrong way around the rink, playing tag, racing at inappropriate times, ect.. I don't think they realize (or care) if they end someones skating 'life' by causing an injury to someone who IS 'playing by the rules.':mad:

pavement
January 31st, 2012, 02:47 AM
Im never irritated with beginner skaters...kids or adults. What does irritate me is people that skate the wrong direction, cut across the floor, dart onto the floor without looking, playing tag with each other, think its funny to throw candy or ice onto the floor to make people trip. And i have to say 99.9% of the individuals doing these sort of things are reckless children. As for what happened to your daughter, i believe the other person was definitely at fault with that situation, but two wrongs don't make a right........

MANY_SkatingDave
January 31st, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hey bmb527,

Didn't read anyone's reply other than HK47.

Not too sure where your complaint about SLF members comes from in terms of posts. Certainly not me and many I know because we skate in comfort with teen skaters. Yes, Yes Supervision can be a problem, yet making the skate floor fun for all kids and parents is a balancing act. For some adults one good skating kid on the floor is a problem.

Most, Yet not all Weak Skaters like good skaters on the floor.

Do you allow the hockey 7-10 yr olds to skate, what do you do with those stupid skate-mates when kids go against the flow. It goes on and on for balancing good and weak skaters. Where you drive the balance depends on watching the action on the skate floor.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

MANY_SkatingDave
January 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM
Oh Well,

To be honest, If I read the above right.

You would be BARRED for Life unless "your" parent came and pleaded that you learned your lesson and did some heavy penitence. NO Tolerance for "any" Parent that fights on the skate floor. Saw one once that came close and he had NO Idea how soon I was going to get him barred for life.

Yeah, he speaks a foreign language so you think you are in the Right!

If you got lucky and they didn't BARR you for Life, go to a kids session rather than a session that is a bit more difficult. What the heck are you doing on Saturday Night with a 3 year old. AND Listen to that Announcement about Skating is Dangerous. IF you don't like it GET OFF THE FLOOR.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

jackbkwikn
January 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names shall never hurt me!!!!!

Two wrongs dont make a right!!!!!

Arent people taught these old sayings anymore.....

I see it all the time,a couple of hot heads that cant back down.Pride takes over and they leave there brain at home.

As for the kids/brats/rugrats/rinkrats Leave em alone ,sure if there acting dangerous tell em off.If they still muck around kick em out.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
When i see a kid on quads i smile .And i try to give em tips .

bmb527
January 31st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Two wrongs do not make a right in any way shape or form. Was there a better way to handle it, probably, but with the pansy ass people that would just say well be more careful and let it go at that, I wasn't going to let it go. I should have drug him to the manager and dropped him there. I didn't. As for being banned or going to jail, being banned doesn't worry me a bit. There are more rinks. Going to jail, not for a fight. The jails are way too crowded and courts overloaded. A fight usually results in a nominal $500 fine and restitution if serious damage is done. I have been down this road before.
I do regret what happened to a degree, but things happen. I can guaranty that the guy never freaks out on an innocent child again, or at least my child.
But back to the topic I started this thread about. There are many posts on this website talking bad about kids who "get in my way", or "kids that can't skate". It appears to me that some people forgot that this started out as a kids hobby/sport. It is the "young blood" coming into this hobby that makes it possible for any of us old timers to have an indoor rink to skate in.
Someone asked what I was doing with a 3 y.o. out at a rink on a Sat. night. The answer is simple, there are many kids at the rinks in my area on Sat. nights ranging from 3-4 all the way up to high school age. It is not an adult session, and I have little spare time, so that is one of 2 days a week that we skate. It does not matter if it is my 3 year old or me or my wife. The rink is for everyone. That means that the more advanced skaters, such as many here including myself have to tone it down so we aren't running people over. I have a car that has been clocked on a race course at 145 avg. lap speed. I can't drive that car like that on the street. I would kill someone. Same thing.
I also realize that some folks may be talking more about the bigger kids. Well, for that, I say have at 'em. The bigger kids seem to be out of control. going the wrong way, doing whatever they want. On that count, I agree. Kill 'em all!

I did not mean to offend anyone here. I just wanted to bring up a trend I noticed that disturbs me as both a skater AND as a parent getting his kids into my favorite hobby. I did not make any personal comments and I would appreciate it if people would do the same. If you have a point to make please do. If you want to talk trash and call names, PM me. Just keep it out of the public space we have here.
As for my wondering if people would actually talk the same face to face as they do from the shield of the internet, I meant it. I was not saying "Let's see you say that to MY face", it was a very valid question as the internet makes many people say things that they would not if it were a face to face world.
Happy rollin'
Bill

loony888
January 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
so lets see,
you're concerned that some comments made here are intolerant of kids who skate and were not nurturing the future of our sport/hobby?
as a parent and a skater you're disturbed by other loggers minor whines and gripes about general behaviour at rinks?
are you serious?
I've been on skates on and off for the better part of forty years and NEVER have i seen anyone get violent with any skater for any reason on a rink, ever.
sure, kids go the wrong way, fool around, etc. they're KIDS! that's what kids do, we all know it, we were all like that when we were that age. Rinks have different levels of supervision, some are strict, some are not, remember though, people of all ages and abilities are skating together on the same floor and sometimes people fall over, you accept that when you choose to participate, punching someone for his inappropriate response is more inappropriate than the guy you hit.
save your tough guy routine, it's not impressing anybody, worth remembering that this forum revolves around a hobby for most, a dedicated sport for some, but all of us have lives away from skating, this isn't the be all and end all for any of us and very few actually know what most loggers do when they're not skating. If you want to keep your three year old safe enrol the little one in learn to skate classes and stick with the kids session afterwards.

rufusprime99
January 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
so lets see,
you're concerned that some comments made here are intolerant of kids who skate and were not nurturing the future of our sport/hobby?
as a parent and a skater you're disturbed by other loggers minor whines and gripes about general behaviour at rinks?
are you serious?
I've been on skates on and off for the better part of forty years and NEVER have i seen anyone get violent with any skater for any reason on a rink, ever.

Me neither.

*edit*
I have seen some posturing from some punk teens, but nothing came of it. Hopefully this was just an odd occurance.

bmb527
January 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
so lets see,
are you serious?
sure, kids go the wrong way, fool around, etc. they're KIDS! that's what kids do, we all know it, we were all like that when we were that age. Rinks have different levels of supervision, some are strict, some are not, remember though, people of all ages and abilities are skating together on the same floor and sometimes people fall over, you accept that when you choose to participate, punching someone for his inappropriate response is more inappropriate than the guy you hit.
save your tough guy routine, it's not impressing anybody, worth remembering that this forum revolves around a hobby for most, a dedicated sport for some, but all of us have lives away from skating, this isn't the be all and end all for any of us and very few actually know what most loggers do when they're not skating. If you want to keep your three year old safe enrol the little one in learn to skate classes and stick with the kids session afterwards.

First off, I said my actions were wrong. There was a better way to deal with the clown. As for you skating for 40 years and "never seen a fight at a rink", well then, you must live in a little utopia! Fights happen everywhere. As a kid working at a rink in California, we had a doorman to deal with such things. As did the rink 5 miles down the road, and the one on the other end of town. Fights happen at the mall, grocery store, wherever more than one person is at the same time has the potential for violence. It is a fact of life. I reacted wrong. But, it started not by some kid accidentally running into my kid and then saying some smart comment. This was a grown man, going balls out as fast as he could go, backwards, not on a "fast skate" mind you, creaming out a little kid, and it could have been ANY kid. This loser then, instead of seeing if he seriously hurt someone, starts yelling at a 3 year old child, with his finger in her face, scaring the crap out of her to the point she was crying hysterically and wouldn't stop. That my friend is when I snapped and jumped in. If he wanted to let his diatribe fly at me, results would have been far different. He took his grown man rage out on a tiny child.
Berate me or say what you will, but try this, bring YOUR little kid, I will run them down and then yell at them till they are scared to do anything but cry, right in front of you. Let's see how you deal with it. I would bet you would react violently to protect your family.
As for keeping my daughter safe, we have been going skating twice a week for months, never had an issue, not once. She does take lessons. Every Sat. we head to the rink at 10 for her lessons, then my older daughter has artistic lessons at noon until 1:30. After dinner, both kids like to go and practice what they learned. There is also many other young kids there on Sat. nights. It is a family friendly establishment after all.
I am not looking for people to tell me "atta boy" for what I did. I started a thread to discuss something that I noticed. If you have anything of value to add or say, please do. If you want to lambast me or make personal attacks, why don't you keep that to yourself. I didn't start this thread to argue, just to see why some folks think they own the floor just because they want to go fast or whatever. I don't think I own a damn thing. But unless it is a fast skate, or other special portion of the session, everyone has a right to be there, and no one has a right to go so fast that they could hurt someone.

Damian73
January 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM
But unless it is a fast skate, or other special portion of the session, everyone has a right to be there, and no one has a right to go so fast that they could hurt someone.

The trouble is, this speed is different for everybody... etiquette (and a bit of self-preservation) would dictate that you don't skate straight out onto the rink without looking either, but sometimes these things happen...

I call kids speed-bumps... because at my height, that's what they look like down there... Or kamikaze's... because that's what they skate like.

Everyone has a right to be where they've paid their money to be. What I care about is people taking a bit of RESPONSIBILITY for their actions, and those of their kids.

I don't want to trip over someone's kid, but really, they need to learn that you look right and left before heading onto the rink... keep moving in the same direction of travel as everyone else, and if exiting, slowly move towards the exit as they come around, not get parallel to the exit and perform a sharp right (or left) to exit from the inside lane...

RIC0
January 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM
What the hell kind of language is spanglish?? Something illegal immigrants use..:confused:

Dec8rSk8r
January 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
I started a thread to discuss something that I noticed. If you have anything of value to add or say, please do. If you want to lambast me or make personal attacks, why don't you keep that to yourself. I didn't start this thread to argue, just to see why some folks think they own the floor just because they want to go fast or whatever. I don't think I own a damn thing. But unless it is a fast skate, or other special portion of the session, everyone has a right to be there, and no one has a right to go so fast that they could hurt someone.

You noticed me calling someone a brat in here - Worst skating injury ever... (http://216.92.62.225/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=42007) and decided it was time for you to make a public service announcement or something in defense of brats everywhere. :rolleyes: Then, you made a bigger ass out of yourself than I could ever hope to. :D

What some of us are trying to say is Saturday night is not the best time to take a tot skating, especially if there is no mini rink. You shouldn't expect the whole floor to slow down just because you had the poor judgement to bring a small child on what is normally a teen night at most rinks.

fierocious1
January 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM
At all sessions, but, if it is too erratic I know how and when to cool it. I usually have no trouble skating at my speed. You have to read the crowd all the time to see who is going where and what if they go this direction or that. Skate around them and keep going.
I cannot however, do the floor guards job. Usually no one is on the floor checking wrong way kids, games of chase, parent(OH MY) carrying kids(and barely able to skate themselves), gum/candy/drink carriers and worse, people trying to go way faster than their talents. Avoiding cross floor skaters can be tough too. These are hurdles that test your talent. It gets kinda boring without them anyway. Some kids come up and ask questions, some want help too. Thanks goodness I don't skate teen nights. Teens on teen nights are Usually so social they don't know where they are or what they are doing no matter how good a skater they are, or texting on the floor.
You skate at what your level of talent is, and if the session is not letting you do your stuff without hurting others, it is time to go home. A person being the better skater has to take into account their surroundings and adjust or leave. You aren't there to hurt anyone, accidents do happen anyway, you just don't have to be responsible for creating them. When you see a sea of skatebuddies, it is going to be a tough day if you are going fast, time to pack it in.

8-Ball
January 31st, 2012, 03:40 PM

Why not start a Twerby League?

(Teen Derby)...

Dec8rSk8r
January 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
I know what you are saying about adjusting your speed fierocious1. I wasn't the one skating fast when my ribs got broke. It was New Years Eve, raining, the concrete floor was humid and slick and very crowded, so I had slowed down to a definate slow speed. Some kid came around the corner racing with his buddies, and he couldn't control his speed and slammed into me, I saw him right before we hit but there was no where for me to go. The kids were all amped up on free soda and in high spirits. :smile: Oh well, we assume those risks when we step on the floor.

Knighttime
January 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
...but nothings worse than kids who are old enough to know better-i'm talking 12-15yr. olds chasing each other the wrong way around the rink, playing tag, racing at inappropriate times, ect.. I don't think they realize (or care) if they end someones skating 'life' by causing an injury to someone who IS 'playing by the rules.':mad:

^ THIS. ^ RIGHT HERE.

Fact: The decision-making and risk assessment areas of the brain are not fully developed until age 25.

Thus, someone (and that would be parents) needs to instill some sense of responsibility in their offspring, and reprimand said offspring when necessary. It always lurks in the back of mind that one of these little heathens could, through a disabling injury and subsequent loss of income, cause my family to be homeless (nevermind ending the "skating life").

I LOATHE having to keep my head on a swivel having to monitor EVERY bit of activity on the floor to ensure MY safety (as well as theirs), but ineffective parents (and sometimes lack of floor management) make it a necessity.

I ENJOY open sessions with lots of kids. It gives me a chance to foster a continuing interest in the sport, to assist when asked, and to mold their skating behavior when the people who SHOULD be doing it aren't.

Jerk adults like the one the OP encountered are a rarity, and should know better. But, just being a kid does not absolve the child (or the parent) of responsibility, either.

8-Ball
January 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Well, i'm def not gonna join in the mudslinging here-i have my opinions and will keep them to myself, thank you very much. Now on the kids-it's true, we would be finished without the young ones to carry the torch if you will, but nothings worse than kids who are old enough to know better-i'm talking 12-15yr. olds chasing each other the wrong way around the rink, playing tag, racing at inappropriate times, ect.. I don't think they realize (or care) if they end someones skating 'life' by causing an injury to someone who IS 'playing by the rules.':mad:

OOh a juicy topic... I didn’t read the entire thing...

Facts are this..

The death of roller skating in the 80s and 90s..and 00s.. was impart due to the facts that KIDS took their arses outdoors.. on inlines.. and left the rinks

If you want this sport to grow.. you need to foster the proper STIMULI to kids.. to GET THEM and KEEP them interested. that means.. you play THEIR music.. you GIVE THEM TEEN Sessions...you create Indoor Roller Hockey, Speed Skating and Teen Derby Leagues. You don’t just cram them in a building and give them a place to make out with limited supervision.

But what you also do.. is you keep the skating age groups.. age appropriate.

Children under 6 have no business at a night session. PERIOD.. Just cause YOU Mr. or Mrs. Parent think you have the right... *though you may*.. common sense dictates that you DONT BRING A 3 year old to a skating rink for an evening session. The music isn’t appropriate.. the flashing lights and other skaters pose a risk to YOUR child.. and to others. And IT IS about protecting your kid.. Use COMMON sense... I mean Christ.. do you let your child play and ride their bike in the street in front of your house.. and then punch a driver coming near your child? Try that with me...and your likely to get an aluminum bat upside the head and me informing your child that Daddy is a lil dense..

That’s why in Minneapolis.. Roller Gardens has very defined parameters for sessions. Adult night is 24 and older. PERIOD. .and YES .. they card.

So.. in closing..*yawn*.. it is EVERYONES job to foster skating for the youth.. but you do it in protective and common sense ways....

The answer to YOUR question.. is absooolutly.. 100% YES... I would, if that someone was being a DB.:)

Knighttime
January 31st, 2012, 03:55 PM
You have to read the crowd all the time...

The further they have their arms/hands away from their body (the "Flail-o-meter" reading), the further I stay away. :D

HK47
January 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
Why not start a Twerby League?

(Teen Derby)...There's a big age range and ATM not enough to split up into age brackets. They practice non-contact drills with the adults (who are working on technique at these sessions, so not blasting around) and it works pretty well :) In time we hope to have enough time and money to split things up, right now we're making do!

Holiday Guy
January 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Try in get a "shuffle club" going at your rink most rinks in my area are starting up shuffle clubs for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv8K-NR1Vbo&feature=related

8-Ball
January 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
There's a big age range and ATM not enough to split up into age brackets. They practice non-contact drills with the adults (who are working on technique at these sessions, so not blasting around) and it works pretty well :) In time we hope to have enough time and money to split things up, right now we're making do!

What I have seen during my Twerby experiences... were they just liked skating with the Roller Girls.... The young ones.. just ate it up... the older ones.. needed a purpose.. something they could target...and strive for.

The best time to recruit for twerby...is at a bout.. during half time.. find the kids.. have a little invite to join them at twerby... they will be soo shocked that someone came up to THEM.. theyll beg their parents to go:)

skaterdog
January 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'd rather skate with a bunch of kids in an afternoon session than skate with a bunch of grumpy old coots on adult night.

Adult nights around here draw a group ancient dinosaurs doddering and dancing around the rink. One of the specials is a waltz.

If you go too fast during the session (more than a slow walking pace) it frightens the old folks and they shriek and grab onto each other.

I can deal with the kids.

fierocious1
January 31st, 2012, 05:36 PM
I know what you are saying about adjusting your speed fierocious1. I wasn't the one skating fast when my ribs got broke. It was New Years Eve, raining, the concrete floor was humid and slick and very crowded, so I had slowed down to a definate slow speed. Some kid came around the corner racing with his buddies, and he couldn't control his speed and slammed into me, I saw him right before we hit but there was no where for me to go. The kids were all amped up on free soda and in high spirits. :smile: Oh well, we assume those risks when we step on the floor.

I'm right there with you. It has happened to me the same way, I just got out of it with better results..

rufusprime99
January 31st, 2012, 10:20 PM
I'd rather skate with a bunch of kids in an afternoon session than skate with a bunch of grumpy old coots on adult night.

Adult nights around here draw a group ancient dinosaurs doddering and dancing around the rink. One of the specials is a waltz.

If you go too fast during the session (more than a slow walking pace) it frightens the old folks and they shriek and grab onto each other.

I can deal with the kids.

LOL. Some of our adult sessions are kind of dead. Not from old folks, there are a few regulars, but from low attendance. We had a good crowd at FV last Thursday. That was fun. But if the adult session have been dead a few weeks running, I sometimes go to a general session for the express purpose of maneuvering around the little human traffic cones. :biggrin: Or when I take my daughter skating. My head is on constant swivel as I skate backwards through the crowd. I have to be up for it and on my toes, and have yet to take down, or be taken down by a kid for the last 2 years since I got my DA45's. And while that is fun, from time to time, it would be annoying if that were the only type of session going. I cannot really enjoy a good song like I can at an adult session, skating hard, with a low level of worry about the skaters around me. I can only skate about 80% at a general session where as I can skate 100% at an adult session.

Poobah
January 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM
So, instead of complaining about kids or brats or whatever other clever name you choose, offer a tip or two to help them learn.

Being that I'm a 40-something American guy who's usually there without an accompanying woman or child, I don't dare talk to anyone's kids who didn't start the conversation. Even if they did start talking to me, I answer the question as quickly as possible and move on.

rufusprime99
February 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM
Being that I'm a 40-something American guy who's usually there without an accompanying woman or child, I don't dare talk to anyone's kids who didn't start the conversation. Even if they did start talking to me, I answer the question as quickly as possible and move on.

I used to try and help people out more. Especially for the beginning backward skate. I was getting too many freaked out looks from kids. Same with some single women. Now if I offer help, it will be to a guy, a couple, or a small group. It's a PITA being looked upon like some creep when you are just trying to be helpful. :frown: Better to just go about your business.

8-Ball
February 1st, 2012, 01:56 AM
I used to try and help people out more. Especially for the beginning backward skate. I was getting too many freaked out looks from kids. Same with some single women. Now if I offer help, it will be to a guy, a couple, or a small group. It's a PITA being looked upon like some creep when you are just trying to be helpful. :frown: Better to just go about your business.

Then you must have never seen a TRUE creeper at a rink....

*shudders at the memories*:(

bmb527
February 1st, 2012, 02:04 AM
You noticed me calling someone a brat in here - Worst skating injury ever... (http://216.92.62.225/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=42007) and decided it was time for you to make a public service announcement or something in defense of brats everywhere. :rolleyes: Then, you made a bigger ass out of yourself than I could ever hope to. :D

What some of us are trying to say is Saturday night is not the best time to take a tot skating, especially if there is no mini rink. You shouldn't expect the whole floor to slow down just because you had the poor judgement to bring a small child on what is normally a teen night at most rinks.

Honestly, it was not just that comment in that 1 thread. I have noticed these comments coming from people here in many threads over quite a time span.
As for taking kids out on a Sat. night, I guess all of us with kids should stay in so the "grownups" can have the place to themselves. Well, the rink would close as there are 10 kids under 10 years old for every adult there without kids. Maybe we all WILL just stay in from now on. Then that rink will close and join the rank of thousands of defunct rinks in this country.

bmb527
February 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM
Me neither.

This guy is the KING. The King of irony. Disturbed by comments while punching people in the face? Seriously indeed. But since there will be no jail time, and the fine is only $500, IF he gets caught, it MUST be ok, right? Oh, and I forgot the best part from earlier was that while his 3 year old is there crying, he deserts her to go beat on this guy. Happy Daddy memories. :) Someone out must have an answer to this: Is THIS what an acid trip feels like? Because the thought processes going on here are strange.

I have known a few bar "doormen". They aren't there for a peaceful night. Maybe bmb needs to do a shift before session. You know, get it out of his system. :rolleyes: To find a fight at a skating rink, you gotta be trying.

If it were "comments" there would have been no punching of faces. As for deserting my 3 year old, didn't happen. My wife was there within seconds and took my daughter as the guy was screaming at her for "getting in his way" By the way, we were skating in a straight line working our way off the floor. This guy was cutting from the inner part of the floor to the outer wall showing off for some girls.
As for knowing doormen at bars, they are there to eliminate problems in the bar. They are usually trained to restrain and remove. If someone hits them, they defend themselves. If they start fights in the bar, they open the bar up for huge lawsuits. I did the job for 3 years while in college and have worked security for a couple of bands here and there.
I do NOT look for fights anywhere, ever. I have never so much as raised my voice at a rink in the past. I am there for fun with my family. When someone did what happened to my daughter, I lost it. I don't condone what I did, but I refuse to apologize for defending my family either. If it all happened again, it would be handled differently. We have been back to the same rink a few times since, no further issues.

rufusprime99
February 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM
Then you must have never seen a TRUE creeper at a rink....

*shudders at the memories*:(

I know of one creeper at a rink. Does some, well, lets just say he does some work for the rink and has a pretty bad background for being around kids.

There is also a masher at one rink as well. Definitely overbearing with the ladies.

So there are some creeps out there. Just sucks when I get pegged as one. I don't need that noise.

bmb527
Some of what you wrote did, and does, strike me sideways. But I am not going to get too dug into any position here. That guy sounds like a jerk. Seen that type plenty. My daughter is a little older, but we typically skate together pretty much the whole time when we go, and it is just my skating nature to keep a good eye out at all times, so I would see a jerk coming long before he does. If you saw my entry on the injury thread, you know why. Given the demeanor and attitude I saw from that kid that fell behind me and his friends, it is quite possible that this accident was not quite accidental. If it wasn't, it did backfire on him. He got carried off while I continued skating. This was at the old Whittier Skateland. It got a sprinkling of punks from time to time.

I don't think anyone would pursue explaining as much as you have if there were not something to it. So I will take your word on it, and I will clean up some of my comments. Peace. :smile:

CHSC FLOOR GUARD
February 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
Times are changing...Id say after my observation of regular floor guarding from 2006-2011 on Friday nites...if you have 10 kids walk through the door...1 maybe 2 will become a serious skater,shuffler or jam skater. Our rink on Friday nite has turned out to be a teen hangout. They don't make out like my generation did ( my mother and sister worked at my rink so I had to behave).All they do is text,and poke and prod each other. Most of them lack communication skills. The girls try to go in the boys bathroom,the boys try to go in the girls bathroom. They throw food and candy out on the floor. 80 percent of them rent skates. Oh yeah..they constant of removing hats and throwing them. We have "side isle" guards that do their best to keep everyone in line. We have a "REAL DJ" that beat mixes the whole nite. They don't come to skate,they come to hang out and text and eat pixy sticks.

They ones that do find love for skating..you can tell they have a different vibe than the others. Almost an innocence. They will show an interest and ask questions. They are usually not smart asses either. Before you know it mom and dad are up there recording or in my day"taping" their kids skills. THat is a big key ,the "MOM AND DAD" that come up to a rink to watch their child whether they are 8 yrs old on a new set of Carreras or 16 yrs old with a brand new set of Tony Zanes (they are popular with our teens).

BMB I have a 7 almost 8 yr old daughter myself and a almost 4 yr old son....I understand why you reacted the way you did...its your child. Im sorry anyone on here that has kids and came across an adult screaming at their little one for an accident that they didn't cause you would react the same way. If they apologized after they knocked her over and then you punched him,then you would have an anger problem.;)

8-Ball
February 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
If it were "comments" there would have been no punching of faces. As for deserting my 3 year old, didn't happen. My wife was there within seconds and took my daughter as the guy was screaming at her for "getting in his way" By the way, we were skating in a straight line working our way off the floor. This guy was cutting from the inner part of the floor to the outer wall showing off for some girls.
As for knowing doormen at bars, they are there to eliminate problems in the bar. They are usually trained to restrain and remove. If someone hits them, they defend themselves. If they start fights in the bar, they open the bar up for huge lawsuits. I did the job for 3 years while in college and have worked security for a couple of bands here and there.
I do NOT look for fights anywhere, ever. I have never so much as raised my voice at a rink in the past. I am there for fun with my family. When someone did what happened to my daughter, I lost it. I don't condone what I did, but I refuse to apologize for defending my family either. If it all happened again, it would be handled differently. We have been back to the same rink a few times since, no further issues.

Sorry.. but from READING what you have said.. bringing a 3 year old to a evening session...

YOU and you alone.. put your daughter in that position to get injured.

The guy that hit her .. was obviously at fault.... as its everyones responsibility to skate in a manner that you are always in control...

BUT YOU put your child in that position....

Dec8rSk8r
February 1st, 2012, 04:59 AM
As for taking kids out on a Sat. night, I guess all of us with kids should stay in so the "grownups" can have the place to themselves. Well, the rink would close as there are 10 kids under 10 years old for every adult there without kids. Maybe we all WILL just stay in from now on. Then that rink will close and join the rank of thousands of defunct rinks in this country.
You do whatever the heck you want to do, but as another parent, I would advise you and all the other parents with small kids to take your tots to the beginner sessions until they are proficient skaters and not small kids. Those teenage kids aren't going to be as concerned as the average adult will be about harming your kids. Tots are speedbumps to some of them. Usually there is much more room on the floor and the pace is much slower at beginner sessions.

bmb527
February 1st, 2012, 05:06 AM

That is a huge part of the problem! Not you, but the losers in this world that prey on children. People in a position of trust such as priests, teachers, cops and then the odd "well meaning" adult. I will always help a kid in need, or offer advice when warranted. I make sure to NEVER put myself in a situation that could be taken as anything other than innocent and trustworthy. I worry every minute of every day about the creeps in society harming my kids. My wife and I are very active in our daughters lives and activities and plan to stay that way. I handled things incorrectly that night, but, I had never seen an adult who is a complete stranger go off on a child like that. I honestly don't know if I would have done things differently if it was someone else's child. I guess a person had to actually witness the situation to honestly judge what happened. Until you have been put in a situation, you can't know how you would react. I have seen some very quiet, meek people go berzerk if conditions are right...or wrong.
And for 8-ball,
We will just have to agree to disagree as to if I put my kid in harms way by going skating with 50 other young kids and families. Maybe where you live and skate people don't bring their kids out after dark, or whatever. In this area we do. Every other person in the rink was fine. Sure there were the usual kids doing kid stuff that is irritating, but otherwise, no issues. This was 1 guy who had no business going anywhere near the speed he was. Regardless of how good a skater he was ability wise, he is a terrible skater in that he had no sense of responsibility in making sure he was not endangering every other skater in the building. He was the drunk driver on the highway.

skaterdog
February 1st, 2012, 03:27 PM
Another issue of kids at the rink that we touched on is the issue of thinking every adult is a potential child molestor.

Case in point: An older fellow was was there at every sesssion for the last 20 years I have been skating. Don shows up at the rink like clockwork in his dress pants and sweater and his skate box. He tells the same old jokes and he's an institution at the rink.

He was the guy that would chat with the parents as they watched their kids skate. He would show kids how to skate backward, shoot the duck or whatever.

Then he disappears.

Turns out after all these years and in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal...he starts getting complaints from suspicious parents. Not that he is touching the kids, but that he is paying too much attention to them and it makes them uneasy.

So the dimwit rink manager confronts him and Don is so pissed he says he'll never come back and now skates at a rink 1 hour away.

That is sad.

pavement
February 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Another issue of kids at the rink that we touched on is the issue of thinking every adult is a potential child molestor.

Case in point: An older fellow was was there at every sesssion for the last 20 years I have been skating. Don shows up at the rink like clockwork in his dress pants and sweater and his skate box. He tells the same old jokes and he's an institution at the rink.

He was the guy that would chat with the parents as they watched their kids skate. He would show kids how to skate backward, shoot the duck or whatever.

Then he disappears.

Turns out after all these years and in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal...he starts getting complaints from suspicious parents. Not that he is touching the kids, but that he is paying too much attention to them and it makes them uneasy.

So the dimwit rink manager confronts him and Don is so pissed he says he'll never come back and now skates at a rink 1 hour away.

That is sad.

We had the almost exact same situation at a rink i frequent...it is truly a sad time in society.

funkysk8r
February 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
We had the almost exact same situation at a rink i frequent...it is truly a sad time in society.
I agree. And of course it's not limited to rinks where adults are reluctant to lend a helping hand, it's schools too, teachers afraid to touch a kid at all, even when a reassuring, innocent hug is needed. Sad indeed.

pavement
February 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM
So true....its even to the point that parents are even afraid to discipline their own children. I grew up fairly old school, and when i did something really bad i got spanked for it. The spankings were not painful so much, but boy did they hurt the pride, and definitely effective in my personal experience. I could see that the spankings hurt my fathers feelings worse than they hurt mine, but we both understood that if you made a bad choice you had to accept the bad consequences. My spankings were always accompanied by calm explanations and lectures,an i love you, and a hug. I raise my children the same way, and i think most kids in this generation need the same. I have friends that are totally against disciplining their children, and i have to say most of those kids are self centered, and very disrespectful in general. One instance i remember was at the rink. My daughter was having a sleep over with a few of her rink rat buddies, and one girl in particular was unable to attend due to bad grades. She was livid that she could not participate, and was literally yelling and cursing in her moms face about it. After things calmed down i was talking with her mom, she was frazzled and clearly embarrassed about the situation. When i asked her why she allowed her child to disrespect her like that she said she threatens to call social services on her every time she tries to discipline her. I was blown away....and speechless. Mom caved in and said yes to the sleep over, but now i was in control. I explained to the young lady that she was not, and never will be welcome in my home due to the fact that she does not have any respect for anything but herself. Her mom thanked me for that.

Knighttime
February 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
I explained to the young lady that she was not, and never will be welcome in my home due to the fact that she does not have any respect for anything but herself. Her mom thanked me for that.

I would have given you a big, wet, sloppy kiss if you had done that to (really, FOR) my child in a similar situation. :tongue: Maybe on the mouth, even. :D

Damian73
February 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM

Then he disappears.

That is sad.

That is a truly sad and disgraceful story... I don't know what the stats are like over there, but over here the vast majority of child sexual abuse is perpetrated by family members/relatives/friends of the family - NOT by strangers... and 94% of abuse occurs in PRIVATE dwellings, not a public place like a skating rink...

I feel sorry for Don in the story above, and the manager who "confronted" him, should be held to account. You can't live life as if everyone you meet is a potential paedophile... grrrrrrrrrrrr...

As you can see, this is an issue close to my heart.

rufusprime99
February 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM

Then he disappears.

That is sad.

One of my rinks in notorious for stupidity. I could totally see them doing something like this. Where at other rinks, I think they would be smart enough to look harder. Was there ANY actual claim, actual incident? Was the guy trying to arrange meets outside the rink? (I am betting not) If his interactions with kids was out in plain view, then WTF? Very sad. :frown::mad:

Holiday Guy
February 2nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
My rink back in the 80s and 90s it use do be a old lady manager she was tough I mean tough there was no issues with kids when she was in charge.

bmb527
February 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
I understand and see both sides of the pervy worry thing. While my wife and I try to be the kind of adults that people don't mind being around their kids, I always have that worry in the back of my mind, that someone could say or accuse one or both of us of something improper. We won't let that worry stop us from helping out though! On the parent's side of the coin, we are VERY careful about who gets near our girls. They are never out of our sight in any public place, not for a second. Not in this world.
I really feel sorry for the guy in the story above. That rink manager was out of line if there had never been an issue with the man. That rink lost one of it's best assets.

HK47
February 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ironically, while many are tip-toeing around the idea of being perceived a sexual predator, it took years for the charges against Sandusky to stick because people were protecting him. There's a difference between remaining vigilant and 'pedo panic' that many people just don't see.

Damian73
February 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Ironically, while many are tip-toeing around the idea of being perceived a sexual predator, it took years for the charges against Sandusky to stick because people were protecting him. There's a difference between remaining vigilant and 'pedo panic' that many people just don't see.

I don't know who that is, so I'll have to googlicate it...

I do like your second sentence though... And of course, I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be vigilant and shouldn't report behaviour that is suspicious, but there's a difference between helping a kid on roller skates stand up after they have fallen over - in plain view of everyone else at the rink - and following a kid into the toilets for some nefarious reason...

The trouble with common sense is that it's not that common.

Stormi
February 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Our rink generally doesn't even have floor guards. We have two sessions,the under 13's, and the open session. I have no problem at all with kids skating, I do have a problem with their complete inability to follow the rules, especially teenagers who SHOULD know better. If they are doing the WRONG thing and endangering me or my children, I have a right to be annoyed. I'm not mean about it, but I WILL tell children they need to exit the rink by skating all the way around in the same direction as everybody else, not into the direction of traffic. Or the teens that think standing around in groups of 6 or 8 and blocking all the skaters while they have a little chat is acceptable. Or the ones that think it's okay to sit on the barriers with their legs dangling over the rink, or even worse, sitting against the barrier ON THE RINK. I have often told people to not sit on the barrier or on the rink, and explained how if someone falls when going past them, who will get hurt? Same as on the barrier, someone crashes into their legs it will knock them backwards. I also tell the beginners they need to be skating around the barrier lane, as in Australia, the slow skaters skate to the outside, faster and better skaters on the inside lanes.
But most kids think they are an exception to the rules. Even MY kids hate it when there are lots of kids there. It's really not MY job to be telling the kids the correct rules of the rink. The rink staff do monitor them, but the parents really should be watching their kids. Quite often a young kid will fall and hurt themself and lay on the floor howling in pain, and I go over and check they are relatively okay, but it's generally several minutes before the parent even notices their kid is hurt.
Yes, skating has risks. You could easily trip over your own feet and injure yourself, but the rules are there to prevent unnecessary accidents and injuries.

quantoo
February 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=bmb527;573170]Hey all,
Something I have been noticing on this site that is alarming to me is the way so many of the folks here refer to the kids who don't skate so well or even at the rink at all in such a negative way. Every one of us needs to remember that without new blood starting in this hobby, all of us would be without a rink to skate in. That includes the few here that own or are involved with a rink. When I was a kid in the 70-80's the rinks I went to in the Inland Empire of So. Cal. were packed. Kids, adults, even some grandparents skated. I have been to a couple rinks in the last year and am shocked how few people go anymore. It seems to be picking up again though.
So, instead of complaining about kids or brats or whatever other clever name you choose, offer a tip or two to help them learn. This is a great hobby and a fantastic source of exercise and God knows that kids today need to get out from in front of the X-Box! Let's give them a break.

Kids need boundary's otherwise they get out of control.
the manager at our local rink has been in many arguments with the locals and always sides with the kids.
As a result of the managers attitude we avoid skating on the nights he is working.When i turn up on a fri or sat night and he is on duty he says haven't seen you for a while{wonder why}.Im not going skating just to help a manager decide whether or not kids running a muck should be allowed especially when it falls on deaf ears.
kids do not learn to adhere to the rules of the rink Unless warned by the staff.And will go on skating against the flow of traffic ,cut across in front of everyone and even on one occasion skate into the back of me.
also if they don't have to take any responsibility for their actions now,How are these kids going to drive a car safely when they reach that age.
Seems to me almost 1 probationary driver dies every fortnight in Australia .
Why? because they think they can get away with anything.
Simple fix= The Dj announces No cutting and reverse direction skating during the general session please and the Manager must communicate with the kids and parents of those kids involved.If seen skating in this fashion again they should be asked to leave the premises for their own safety.Roller skating can be dangerous even fatal.
Or the alternative is have a smaller second Kiddies only rink where the parents can supervise and shove cameras into other peoples faces.
This is another problem people taking photos of anyone in the back ground while their kids are skating .Cameras should be used in a designated area.
Just an oppinion

Damian73
February 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
This is another problem people taking photos of anyone in the back ground while their kids are skating .Cameras should be used in a designated area.

Nah... if you get rid of the cameras, you ruin my opportunity to photo-bomb people!! There are no doubt random pics everywhere with little Johnny and Suzie smiling for their parents with me star-jumping in the background... rofl...

bmb527
February 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Nah... if you get rid of the cameras, you ruin my opportunity to photo-bomb people!! There are no doubt random pics everywhere with little Johnny and Suzie smiling for their parents with me star-jumping in the background... rofl...

Photo bombing and cropdusting...two of the funnest things to do while skating. The trick is to cropdust WHILE photo bombing, then the picture is priceless!!

okie
February 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Heres some stuff I do when A rink won't convert to a High Energy Adult Night.

But first: There is a HUGE difference in skates to day than 15 years ago. You can go faster,handle much better and lighter weight.

You can skate better and longer at a higher speed. Much more fun.

But: You can't do it with a rink full of kids that Don't know the Rules of the Road. But you can't have so many rules that the beginners can't skate without being got after all night,they will quit coming and do something else. Lost skater.

You can ask the manager to have a few specials that will allow the good skater to also get in some floor time,and let the beginners see them skate at a level that will make them want to improve and get good skate stuff.

One of the first things I do when we have a bunch of Go Fasters that weave in and out,tag and race during the regular sessions with kids.

I have a "FAST" Skaters ONLY Special. Usually 2 long songs. Early in the session. Most of the Go fasters will get out there and have at it. WEAR THERESELVES OUT. Plus I have the DJ keep hollering GO GO GO,come on FASTER,Faster.

Then there mostly detuned for the rest of the session,just go round and round.

Then during the regular session if we have quite afew adults skating with the kids.

We have a couple of specials and divide it by age groups. During the specials I let the adults have a slow song and a rhythm line song. Sometimes I do this 2 times to let the adults skate. This really helps build the sessions and everbody gets some floor time like they like.

On all sessions I keep moving the slower skaters over from the outside. Some get offended,I just explain that your making the floor smaller. A better skater will need to go inside to go around you into the groups and slower skaters. Dangerous for them and you to. We dont' want to knock you down from behind.

The ones that are obnoxious and resent it,I just give them there money back and ask them to leave. We skate to skate and have fun not be in misery. Most will agree and when they see the Good skaters skate,and we are also talking all night by the DJ about our adult nights and the Derby Teams skating with us. Advertisment etc.
okie

Holiday Guy
February 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM

But first: There is a HUGE difference in skates to day than 15 years ago. You can go faster,handle much better and lighter weight.

But: You can't do it with a rink full of kids that Don't know the Rules of the Road. But you can't have so many rules that the beginners can't skate without being got after all night,they will quit coming and do something else. Lost skater.

You can ask the manager to have a few specials that will allow the good skater to also get in some floor time,and let the beginners see them skate at a level that will make them want to improve and get good skate stuff.

One of the first things I do when we have a bunch of Go Fasters that weave in and out,tag and race during the regular sessions with kids.

I have a "FAST" Skaters ONLY Special. Usually 2 long songs. Early in the session. Most of the Go fasters will get out there and have at it. WEAR THERESELVES OUT. Plus I have the DJ keep hollering GO GO GO,come on FASTER,Faster.

Then during the regular session if we have quite afew adults skating with the kids.

We have a couple of specials and divide it by age groups. During the specials I let the adults have a slow song and a rhythm line song. Sometimes I do this 2 times to let the adults skate. This really helps build the sessions and everbody gets some floor time like they like.

On all sessions I keep moving the slower skaters over from the outside. Some get offended,I just explain that your making the floor smaller. A better skater will need to go inside to go around you into the groups and slower skaters. Dangerous for them and you to. We dont' want to knock you down from behind.

The ones that are obnoxious and resent it,I just give them there money back and ask them to leave. We skate to skate and have fun not be in misery. Most will agree and when they see the Good skaters skate,and we are also talking all night by the DJ about our adult nights and the Derby Teams skating with us. Advertisment etc.
okie
The only time when we go fast at the kids session here in Jersey when they call boys only girls only backwards and shuffle skaters only they do announced that faster skaters to the outside slower skaters to the inside.

Knighttime
February 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The thread has turned out to be timely. I've let the whole situation stew since Super Bowl Sunday, but I've severed my ties (for lack of a better term) with the rink I've called home since my "Sk8ing Resurrection".

I had tried to be patient over many months with uncontrolled floors (read: floor guards were a RARE sight), but it finally came to a head when one of a pack of tween miscreants rolled into my backside at speed, wrecking himself in the process (somehow, I maintained balance and stayed upright). I'd been dodging them all day as they flew in myriad directions playing tag, getting bumped/brushed as they cut directly in front at times.

I went to the proprietor (who mans the DJ booth) and let her know how out of control it was getting (numerous other wrecks, and other parents visibly unnerved with the activity on the floor). One of the "in crowd" (read: friend of the owner type) parents defended the brats with the "they're just being kids" nonsense, and that this was an accident. I about blew a gasket.

Sorry folks - "just being kids" never flew when I was that age. A floor guard would have sat my ass down, without question. Some modicum of rink etiquette was EXPECTED, not hoped for. Being a kid does NOT absolve you of responsibility - that's the purpose of the floor guard, to instill responsibility and dole out consequences when the adolescent brain fails to do so.

The owner came over to defuse the situation, and proceeded to defend the actions, suggesting that I should come "when it isn't so busy" (when exactly is THAT supposed to be???). Why shouldn't that apply to the little morons who have no concept of responsibility or accountability? Why can't THEY come back when it isn't so busy, and they can fly around without endangering ANYONE???

Packed it up and left. Turned in my winter pass, and told them I didn't need it any further.

Found out a short time later via text that suddenly... wait for it... a floor guard appeared on the rink shortly after our departure.

Too little, too late. While they may view me as just a disgruntled skater with a chip on his shoulder, the estimated costs of lost customers can be staggering when you factor the indirect ripple effect. I hope the lost revenues are worth "letting the inmates run the asylum."

---------------------------------------------------

Legal stuff
While I cannot speak for every other state, Georgia has codified it (O.C.G.A. 51-1-43 "Roller Skating Safety Act of 1993") and it is clear:

(c) Each operator of a roller skating center shall be required to:

(1) Post the duties of roller skaters and spectators as prescribed in this Code section in conspicuous places;

(2) Comply with the safety standards ordinarily accepted in the roller skating rink industry;

I think a consistent lack of floor guards would be considered to be non-compliant with the safety standards ordinarily accepted in the roller skating rink industry. A specific guard-per-skater ratio would be more helpful.

(d) While in a roller skating center, each roller skater shall do all of the following:

(1) Maintain reasonable control of his or her speed and course at all times;

(2) Read all posted signs and warnings;

(3) Maintain a proper lookout to avoid other roller skaters and objects;

(4) Accept the responsibility for knowing the range of his or her own ability to negotiate the intended direction of travel while on roller skates and to skate within the limits of that ability; and

(5) Refrain from acting in a manner which may cause injury to others.

Numbers 1/4/5 are what I am livid about - maintaining reasonable control, accepting responsibility for knowing their ability and staying within those limits, and refraining from "being stupid".

(f) A roller skater, spectator, or operator who violates the provisions of this Code section shall be liable in a civil action for damages for that portion of the loss or damage resulting from the violation.

The door of financial responsibility for proprietors not controlling their facilities or parents not controlling their children is wide open (I have no intention of getting litigious, but there are surely others who would love to get a lawsuit windfall).

(g) Nothing in this Code section shall be construed to relieve an operator from exercising ordinary diligence in his or her operational responsibility.

Enough said.

Redbeard
February 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I have had NIGHTMARE sessions with kids just running amok...
I have also had really nice session with kids that were inspiring...
Oh, and I've been called a child molester.

It's all how staff deals with it. The "culture" of a rink is defined by the staff. Session to session can change as well.
Bad DJ, rookie kids, clueless parents = horrible experience.
Sensitive DJ, kids who have an interest in the rink, and have been taught manners and skate skills, cool adults = a lot of fun, and being able to pass skating on to younger folks.

I am a photographer, and generally ask before taking photos...as I am documenting rinks around the country, especially CA....and having hothead weird parents fire-off on me is a drag. One dude accused me of "taking pictures of girls" and wanted me booted, and told me he was going to "erase" my camera with the help of his four friends....well, it didn't end so nicely.
Funny part? There were NO images of his kid, and the ones I did take were of a woman's children who granted permission as a former "Rink Rat" herself, and was thrilled by the images. The rink wound up posting a few on their site. Hahahaaaaa...

I think that's why I marvel at how hopped-up we sometimes get on this site...IT'S ROLLER SKATING. Pure joy. We need to remember that.
Always.

Damian73
February 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Oh, and I've been called a child molester.
One dude accused me of "taking pictures of girls" and wanted me booted, and told me he was going to "erase" my camera with the help of his four friends....well, it didn't end so nicely.

Funny part? There were NO images of his kid, and the ones I did take were of a woman's children who granted permission as a former "Rink Rat" herself, and was thrilled by the images. The rink wound up posting a few on their site. Hahahaaaaa...

*sigh* People are strange fish. I sometimes wonder if the ones who overreact in such a situation are actually acting out of some kind of guilty conscience or diversion technique to throw the scent off their own trail...

I imagine that it would be easier to explain your presence at a rink if you were there with your own kids etc (not that I believe people need to explain anything, but you know what I mean), rather than being the creepy old guy there on their own...

quantoo
February 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM

okie

id go pay half price do the two song speed skate ignor the dj and skate how i wanted and after the two songs go home that sounds like a better deal to me

Redbeard
February 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
*sigh* People are strange fish. I sometimes wonder if the ones who overreact in such a situation are actually acting out of some kind of guilty conscience or diversion technique to throw the scent off their own trail...

I imagine that it would be easier to explain your presence at a rink if you were there with your own kids etc (not that I believe people need to explain anything, but you know what I mean), rather than being the creepy old guy there on their own...

When the folks saw I was with a gorgeous woman who can SKATE....I think they felt stupid, but at that point, they felt they couldn't back down.

We have SO many REAL PROBLEMS in this world...that roller skating should somehow be kept FUN is in the forefront of my mind when at the rink. Leave that other crap in the parking lot.