PDA

View Full Version : Standard or forward mount?

Bexifer
February 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hi,

I'm getting conflicting advice on whether to go for forward mount or standard for skating outdoors.. I'm looking at Rebel Avengers. I "thought" that the plate being forward should help roll over uneven surface but someone said that it's too unstable for skating outdoors.

Can anyone tell me one way or another please?

Bex

cass38a
February 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM
No package skate is set up correctly for outdoors skating.......... If you want one that is right you need to have buy the parts and and put it together.

A short forward (rebel invader or avenger) has the front wheels in the same place as a regular skate and the back wheels are forward.

For outdoors you don't shorten the wheelbase but move the entire plate forward until the front axle is under the joint in your big toe. This can't be done with toe stops so that puts just about every package skate out of the running.

Bont ignite package is the closest to what you need that you can get but you still need to ask for the plate to be mounted as far to the front of the boot that it can go.

Bexifer
February 11th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks, your advice is very much appreciated!!

I'll have a look at Bonts. I've got a Star B1 plate that I could marry with some football boots so potentially an own build solution, my only fear is my ability to mount them properly. I'm guessing there must be a guide for that somewhere too. I have odd size feet so really struggle with getting skates that fit so it's either two pairs of football boots or custom Bonts :)

All the best,

Armadillo
February 12th, 2013, 06:24 AM
It all depends on what style of skating you plan to be doing on these skates.

If you intend to be mainly speed skating for training and endurance, and your form will be skating low and leaning forward, then you cannot habe your front wheels too far forward - more is better.

If you intend too skate more slowly and in a more upright position with more turning going on, then keeping the front axle still in front of the ball of your foot, but closer to it, is the better option.

There are some incredible soccer "football" shoes out there that be used to make excellent skates. My current favorite is the Pele Trinity at 150 grams with cleats removed:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/750g-Sliders/20130123_151553_zps264a9030.jpg

-Armadillo

bradthedad
February 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM
i have used a short sport mount for outside rec skating for 15 years, skating speed is different, but for general rec skating, skate parks, etc, the short sport mount works for me, i dont like having the plate shoved to the front, i place the front axle under the ball of my foot, and the rear ends where it ends, i dont have any problems with balance or road debris

Fancy-Kerrigan
February 14th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Never skated short forward. Skate outside at least once a week. Standard mount RS1000 w/ Radar pures. I find that for me putting weight more on back wheels via my heel greatly reduces the chance of my skates being stopped by an acorn, stone, wood chip, or crack in the sidewalk. I have trained my kids to do the same thing.

1888bc
February 14th, 2013, 08:55 PM
No package skate is set up correctly for outdoors skating..........
If you want one that is right you need to have buy the parts and and put it together.

A short forward (rebel invader or avenger) has the front wheels in the same place as a regular skate and the back wheels are forward.

For outdoors you don't shorten the wheelbase but move the entire plate forward until the front axle is under the joint in your big toe.
This can't be done with toe stops so that puts just about every package skate out of the running.

Bont ignite package is the closest to what you need that you can get but you still need to ask for the plate to be mounted as far to the front of the boot that it can go.

perfectly stated...

Armadillo
February 17th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Bexifer, you may not realize that one of the main purposes of the front axle being shifted more forward with an outdoor skate build is to have less weight being carried on the front axle, and more by the rear axle.

True, a good skater can make this same result happen on a less forward mounted plate, merely by shifting their focus of weight more rearward, without moving the plate forward.

However, there are times when rolling outdoors that you will hit surface imperfections or debris that will tend to make the front wheels stick.
When this happens your weight shifts forward onto the front axle, further aggravating its condition of sticking.

Without a more forward front axle, this can easily lead to a face plant kind of a fall, but when the front axle is more forward, the plate will usually lift up more easily and then pass by the imperfection/debris BEFORE the braking effect & resulting weight shifting forward can get carried away to the point of falling forward.

-Armadillo

Iggy
February 18th, 2013, 12:14 AM
The pic of the Bonts above in 1888bc's post are how my outdoor skates are (well we're, since I have to put them back together). I would recommend looking at the NTS version of the Bont Ignite plate. I skated it outdoor mounted to a pair of adidas soccer shoes with no problems. They're a plastic plate, but they're very strong. And the best part, they're cheap :D

Also, I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US maybe shoot a message or email to Ogfarmskater (Jam N Speed West in 1888bc's signature line). He's done a few mounts like that and does nice work. He might be able to help you out.

Quadtastic
June 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Would recommend a forward mount on your outdoor skates

Armadillo
June 14th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Would recommend a forward mount on your outdoor skates

Too far forward is almost impossible for outdoor speed skating.

Here is PIC of finished build for "mock-up" shown eariler in this thread.

Weight is 900 grams with 70mm Velocity Race mini-bearing wheels.

This 100% glue mounted build is my lightest & furthest forward mount so far, and they skate faster than any skates I have ever had on my feet.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/RRLedford/750g-Sliders/20130613_214414_zpse3a60a03.jpg

-Armadillo

wawa
February 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
We also use forward mounted plates for outdoor skating.
Traditionnally jumpers put the plate the more forward that they can, like this

http://rollerquad.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/quad-xavier-2009.jpg

or

http://rollerquad.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/quad-xavier-2005.jpg

llama of death
February 3rd, 2014, 07:56 PM
wawa, where is your 1st knuckle of your big toe on those mounts? Looks like the wheels would be under the 2nd knuckle. Just curious.

Sport mount works well for me (axles under the ball-of-foot and ankle bone, like a shorter version of the mount wawa is showing) but everyone is different. I have yet to mount a full forward like that, just haven't got the need atm. Definitely see the advantage.