PDA

View Full Version : New Scottish Roller Marathon (August 4th at East Fortune race track)

Bondagekitten
March 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
Hi,

One of my friends works for DeafBlind Scotland and is organising a roller marathon to raise funds.

This is the description on the facebook page
"On Sunday 4th August 2013, East Fortune Race Track will host it's first ever roller marathon. The race track is 20 miles east of Edinburgh and there is no public access outwith official events, so this is your opportunity to experience what must be the best skating surface in the country. The 1.5 mile track is smooth from start to finish and once you have skated/glided 26 miles you will be tempted to do it all again! There are three distances available: once round the track, 13 miles and 26 miles. Entry is open to all skaters (inline, quad, speed, hockey) skateboards, longboards and scooters. Infact all non powered, small wheeled transport is permitted. Entry is 12.50 for the full marathon, 10 for the half marathon and 5 for one lap. The East Fortune Roller Marathon is in aid of Deafblind Scotland. Transportation by bus will be available from Glasgow and Edinburgh for a small charge."

She went out there a couple of weeks ago and skated the track and said it's the best outdoor surface she's skated on, there is a very short patch that is a little rougher. I've skated with her several times at a short bike track in Glasgow that I find pretty good (my endurance is the problem for me there).

It's not the same one as last years Great Scottish Skate (they are looking into a West coast options just now) so with luck we will have went from no outdoors skating events in 2011 and before to 2 marathons in 2013 onwards.

There is a video on the facebook page from motor bikes going round on it. My personal goal is to do the half marathon option.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Fortune-Roller-Marathon-2013/339825972802229 for details

inkh0rn
July 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Hi there, I have a flyer for this I picked up at Rainy City vs Leeds a couple of weeks ago.

I can't make it, and am gutted - sounds like a great track! I regularly skate 1/2 marathons as training at UCLAN Sports Arena in Preston - that too is a hella smooooooooth track ;). May I recommend Roll Line Helium wheels (64mm, 83A) for smooth track - much much faster than Hyper Rollos, Krypto Cruise, Airwaves etc, and about the same price - I got mine from Skatermate.

I've done a marathon in training this year at Preston in 2hrs 40 on quads. I also did the Skating UK event in May at Preston, on inlines...same time as it pissed down for the entire marathon!

Pace yourself; stay hydrated - get Lucozade isotonic and take a sip each lap, or get energy gels and wash down with the water you'll get on track.

You can do it! Best of luck & I hope it goes well :)

Armadillo
July 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Good Luck, to all who can be there to rece, have fun, and support the cause!

Nothing like a super smooth racing surface to pump you up for a fast performance.

-Armadillo

Bondagekitten
August 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
It was a lovely day. Inline speed skaters started finishing at around 1hr25 for the ones we spotted, some may have done more laps though. Fasted quads was 1hr 58 though I thought it was quicker until he posted on fb. I sadly wasn't skating but was pushed round for the first lap by a dear friend who did the marathon plus 3 miles as didn't count the lap with me and did a lap for friends who couldn't make it along.

Was gutted not to be skating today. Fingers crossed for next year.

jbgerman
August 16th, 2013, 03:05 PM
It was a lovely day. Inline speed skaters started finishing at around 1hr25 for the ones we spotted, some may have done more laps though. Fasted quads was 1hr 58 though I thought it was quicker until he posted on fb. I sadly wasn't skating but was pushed round for the first lap by a dear friend who did the marathon plus 3 miles as didn't count the lap with me and did a lap for friends who couldn't make it along.

Was gutted not to be skating today. Fingers crossed for next year.

Sounds great idea for a trip to Scotland next year. My time last year in the Berlin Marathon on quads was 1h45.