PDA

View Full Version : skating with weights?

Ice Ramps
October 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to maximize my limited skate time. limited being around 15-20 hours per week. (inline & ice combined) by using a 20lbs wieghted vest along with a 5lbs ankle weights. I just started this yesterday and only did about 30 laps at the ice rink. I stopped as I experience some knee pain, please note I have bad knees anyway due from all the years as a infantryman in the army jumping from airplanes, heavy rucksacks etc (esp my right-knee as it was my landing foot in my figure skating days.) anyway I am going to try this weighted work -out a bit more perhaps experimenting with the amount of wight in the vest as I can add or drop the weight by 1lbs increments. Anyone else done this type of work out? Pros cons?

Dale
www.iceramps.com

Jibberish18
October 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I wonder how effective ankle weights are in a skating situation. I could understand them being used in a running enviroment since your legs are going up and down so the weights are pulling you down. But when skating most of your motion is going forward (although your feet still have to leave the ground.)

online inline
October 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
hwat's your goal? Start there, then determine what methods get you there, and which ones don't make any sense.

If you are after anything that approximates good form, or ever ahve any hope of ever learning it, lose the weights. Balance, posture, positioning, timing, transitions, etc. are EVERYTHING in this sports. If you change your weight distribution from that of a human being to one of an ape, you are not learning how to skate well as a human being.

IF you want to read about 500 posts on the subject that get no further than what i just said, do a search for SubyRS, and knock yourself out. Or better yet, maybe they were all thankfully lost when Kathy transitioned to the new site.

skaterdog
October 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah OI ...I think SubyRS would have strapped some 20 pound weights on if he was doing A2A...rusty bearings with no spacers...worn out 76mm wheels...no food or water...

Ice Ramps
October 8th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Ok let me clarify some very good questions, first off I have been skating for 32 years and I often transition from inline skates.... speed/rec/fitness/aggressive to the ice rink where I often change from hockey to figure skates. I understand the difference between these and I adjust pretty quick. I am not looking for form or anything like that. In the distant past I used to skate in excess of 30-40 hours per week. I am in the army and also much older now, so I am trying to "weight train" a bit to maximize the time I do have and also drop some extra weight if possible. I just got back from skating 5 hours on ice where I skated the 1st hour with 25 extra lbs and switched back and forth between figure / hockey skates without the weights for the rest of the time. I am 37 years old and I still skate better weighted down than most of the skaters that frequent the public sessions,ie: spinning knee slides into double toe-loops as well as other things that few Olympic level skaters would even attempt. Even so, I only can do a 1/3 of what used to do, so I am pushing myself mainly to lose weight. I have also adjusted my diet and increased the phsyical fitness program I have to do for the army as well. I guess my rationale was that by adding some extra weight to my skating it would require more effort thus burn more calories. Thanks for the input though.

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com

fablemaker2
October 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I guess it all depends on how quickly you develop muscle mass, which, as you know is heavier than fat. If you're of the body composition to develop monster calves and such, perhaps it would be better for you to lose the weights and just go for speed. More reps with less weight, just like the gym, tone muscles, whereas less reps with more weight tend to bulk one up...that would be contrary to what your goal is.

Ice Ramps
October 8th, 2006, 03:32 AM
good point thanks

online inline
October 8th, 2006, 05:21 AM
you are trying to weight train while skating so as to "maximize the time i do have adn also drop some extra weight...", but you just got back from skating five (5) hours, and you commonly used to skate 30 - 40 hours per week.

Just do a few sessions a week of 5 hours of skating, with medium haard exertion, and you will lose a lot of weight. If you don't, you should really look at what you are eating, and maybe increase the intensity a bit.

I can tell you that i skate an average of maybe an hour a day, say 6 days a week, and i eat everything in sight, and i can hardly keep the weight on. I do skate hard, granted, but i am on skates in a week the same amount you are on in a single session! Just give it time, first, and second, increase your technique to the point where you are a lean mean skating machine. By that i mean, you have developed your form so that you are really skating efficeintly and effectively, and your muscles are getting a work out. A newbie fights themselves in their form. An advanced skater's every stride is calcualted to maximize the conversion of energy into motion through the burning of energy by their muscle mass. An advanced skater burns much more calories in a given time frame than does a newbie.

The point made about building muscle mass was a very good point, as you duly noted.

Good luck. Mizing weights with skating makes sense only if you didn't give a crap about your skating and wanted to gain muscle mass at the expense of your skating. Wieghts will restrict and hinder good range of motion which you need to skate well. So learn to skate well, and you will reach your goal of maximium caloric burn rate while engaged in this great sport of ours.

motosk8ter
October 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
How did I miss this thread:p . My suggestion is to not skate with weights as technique is more important than anything a skating weight is going to do. I know, I have tried it. I do strongly recommend weight training as an adjunct to skating. Use high reps and low weights. 2setsX15repsX2days per week. Do the entire body and place emphasis on muscles used for skating. You will need to stretch before a hard skate but endurance will increase. Slow twitch muscles will be enhanced by weights but you will have to sprint and do other training to enhance the quick twitch muscles. You just dont want to be a "girlieman" like some other folks around here:D

Phil

mvirtue
October 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Please lets not brings Suby back!

Ice Ramps
October 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
OK guys enough with "Suby" I did not even remember him/her from the old site, nor is it my intention to revisit what seems like a crazy idea to so many of you. In case you are wondering where I even came up with it, well when I was deployed to Iraq we have to wear our body armor vest that weight about the same, normally just for our patrols both mounted and dismounted when outside of our operating base, but obviously its more of workout when on foot. Most of us dropped a lot of weight from this. I really did not want to go walking around weighted down when I don't have to....there is just no fun in that. But I sought to use some weight in my skating routine to see if it had the same effect. I'm not talking about all the time or anything either I was thinking as small percentage of my skating time say during warm-ups There is no way I could skate say 5 hours with 25 extra lbs even if I wanted to. I got the message though, so don't feel like you guys need to post to this topic or anything. Thanks for the advice.

Dale

sk8scott
October 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I'll jump in here. If you want to skate with weights, without wrecking your technique, make sure that the weight is worn on your torso, and not out on your ankles or in your hands. A weighted vest would probably be best, but a heavy backpack is another option - just make sure the back of your helmet is sturdy!

----Scott

motosk8ter
October 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Hey Ice Ramps, Don't take folks seriously. There is a lot of advice in here that is valid by some very good skaters. I personally "humped" in Vietnam so I can relate to the weight loss gig. I have tried to use weights when I skate, run etc., and it has not been the best thing for me. You may find it different but from where I sit I never liked the way it effected my technique.

You need to know what you have done is appreciated and a big thanx goes out to you!

Phil

Ice Ramps
October 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Phil,

I obviously skate better and faster without the weight set-up, skating for me is pure fun. With the weights it is more of a workout and less fun but I get more out it I think as far as a workout goes. I have no intentions of ever making this weight vest thing anything more than something to augment some of my skating time and probably just a few hours a week. I just came back from skating a hour and a half with the 20lbs vest. It required more effort especially up hill, it is also kinda cool when you take the vest off and you are used to pushing harder you can build up some serious speed. As far as my form and technique goes, I think after 32 years of skating it is safe and well established. Vietnam wow! you have my thanks as well for your service. My brother served with the 82nd during Grenada, I served in a LRSD in Desert Storm and Jumped into Iraq with the 173rd ABN out of Italy in March of 2003. I just left a position as a Black Hat at ABN School to pursure a new career as a Warrant Officer, but I will be returning back to FT Benning to fill a postion with the 3rd ID 3rd BDE there.

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com
dale@iceramps.com

motosk8ter
October 9th, 2006, 04:17 AM
You have a lot cooking! Isn't the 3rd due for rotation? Was deployed out of Benning in 03 and it was really cool to see some of the old towers and stuff. We stayed out at the old Ranger Bn which was converted to OCONUS and went on to Germany.

What is the parachat site. I joined but was not sure what it was about.

Keep the weights close and good luck...Phil

Ice Ramps
October 9th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Phil,

Last I heard the 3rd is due to deploy back to Iraq late summer or the fall of next year, exact dates keep changing. As far as the parachat goes I signed up too but I have not been on since this whole warrant thing came up, to many things going on ya know?

Dale

Code Monkey
October 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Ice Ramps,

It's to long of a story but the ending is stay away from the weights. Instead, vary your workout. Here is something I have been doing lately and it will burn calories and build strength ... right before you die. You can even do it in a medium size parking lot. Start out by warming up skating, then balance on one leg and then squat down and extend the other leg, repeat till your leg shakes to where you can't stand. Then stand. Skate for awhile to loosen up and repeat to the other leg. Once that's done skate around to loosen up and then sprint like some mad dog is after you. Squat down low and make a sharp turn and repeat. Do this till you feel your heart coming out your nose. Then do a loosen up skate. Once you caught your breath repeat the sprints. Also the skates you do this in have a set of soft wheels because of the sharp turns and the grip you need on the charging of your sprint. For added resistance put in grease packed abec 1s. That flak vest you are wearing is a bad idea. Later when I have some time I will write about the negatives but a big one is pinching a nerve in your vertebrae.