PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bones

Rink Rat
November 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
After skating for five years and falling more times than I want to remember, I finally broke a bone--the fibula. Even though my leg will be in a cast for six weeks, and I'll be off skates for several more, I'm not looking for sympathy. I knew the risk.

What I'd like to hear is how many fellow skaters have broken something while skating. Come on, fess up!

Barracuda
November 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
I broke a bone in my hand skating fast backwards, other than that it's primarily road rash - And a damaged PCL.

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 02:11 PM
Husband Kevin fractured 2 ribs on his lower left side last spring at an indoor speed meet in a pile up. I've never broken a bone (knock on wood) but did tear ligaments (MCL and PCL) in my left knee as a result of a fall several years back.

Barracuda
November 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM
but did tear ligaments (MCL and PCL) in my left knee as a result of a fall several years back.

Julie,

How long did it take for your PCL to heal? It's been 4 months and I still have issues.

Jeff

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Julie,

How long did it take for your PCL to heal? It's been 4 months and I still have issues.

Jeff

Jeff,

When I took the spill (and this was several years back), it was sometime in late April. I finished with physical therapy in early July and the sports ortho told me no skating until 4 months post injury, and even then, he had me wear a metal ACL brace. He had me wear the brace for a full year afterwards - something about giving the knee proper support when skating to allow it heal fully, lesser risk of re-injury, while also allowing me to skate. A little more than 4 months post injury, I was back skating and did an outdoor race shortly thereafter, knee brace and all. Because it wasn't a full rupture, I didn't need surgery. But, I do have a slightly sagging left knee now. But other than that, no residual problems. Hope you're healed soon!

Julie

roller_dudette
November 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Wow, that long? I hurt my LCL ligament, its been 2 weeks, the pain is almost gone and my knee is feeling stable again. I guess I shouldnt complain huh? I think I"m lucky that my injuries usually heal way fast. Still takes too long.....

chacata
November 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Was going like 40 kmh (25mph) in a flat out speed test on my bravoblades and the skate hit a junction in the street filled with some soft putty like material. Broke my right clavicle and i was off for two months and in three months i began to skate again on my then new 5 wheel skates (Bont sharkie and Ultimate attitude I 13.50" w/5x82mm wheels)

oldnslow
November 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Broke my collar bone when I was nine.
I fought the wall and the wall won.

Barracuda
November 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
I guess mine wasn't as serious then, as I only took ten days off then I was back playing ice hockey. I am on my second round of PT though. Did the bursa on the back side of your knoee swell up in to a knot? I think they call it a a Baker's cyst.

Jeff

Jeff,

When I took the spill (and this was several years back), it was sometime in late April. I finished with physical therapy in early July and the sports ortho told me no skating until 4 months post injury, and even then, he had me wear a metal ACL brace. He had me wear the brace for a full year afterwards - something about giving the knee proper support when skating to allow it heal fully, lesser risk of re-injury, while also allowing me to skate. A little more than 4 months post injury, I was back skating and did an outdoor race shortly thereafter, knee brace and all. Because it wasn't a full rupture, I didn't need surgery. But, I do have a slightly sagging left knee now. But other than that, no residual problems. Hope you're healed soon!

Julie

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, that long? I hurt my LCL ligament, its been 2 weeks, the pain is almost gone and my knee is feeling stable again. I guess I shouldnt complain huh? I think I"m lucky that my injuries usually heal way fast. Still takes too long.....

My MCL tear was only a grade/level I, but the PCL tear was worse, a grade II-III, if I remember right (I think a IV is total rupture). Two years ago, I also whacked my other knee on the wooden bumper of a slideboard and twisted it a little. That took a couple months to fully heal, even tho the dr. said it was a "mild sprain."

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Broke my collar bone when I was nine.
I fought the wall and the wall won.

Mvirtue will attest to this - we saw some serious "fights with walls" at Indoor Nationals this past July. Two people with very serious broken leg injuries (multiple fractures). Also some broken collarbones, and a broken nose (from a full face floor plant) comes to mind.

roller_dudette
November 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
My MCL tear was only a grade/level I, but the PCL tear was worse, a grade II-III, if I remember right (I think a IV is total rupture). Two years ago, I also whacked my other knee on the wooden bumper of a slideboard and twisted it a little. That took a couple months to fully heal, even tho the dr. said it was a "mild sprain."

I'm curious, are you normal to larger in height/weight? I've never liked being so small, but I think thats why my injuries are less extreme. I think I just hit lighter and put less stress on my joints when i twist them.

I'm just curious. I love aggressive skating but worry about my age/injuries so trying to figure out how to stay healthy and minimize any down time.

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm curious, are you normal to larger in height/weight? I've never liked being so small, but I think thats why my injuries are less extreme. I think I just hit lighter and put less stress on my joints when i twist them.

I'm just curious. I love aggressive skating but worry about my age/injuries so trying to figure out how to stay healthy and minimize any down time.

When the torn MCL/PCL injuries occurred (which was over 5 years ago), I was at a normal weight for my height (5'6" about 135-138 pounds). Can't say that's the case these days, lol... At that time, I was a newbie to speedskating. I also wasn't doing any sort of strength training then and that was something that was stressed to me in PT, even if using your own body weight to do the strengthening. The physical therapist had said that strengthening the muscles around the knee could sometimes help prevent or lessen the injury, and stressed that it was particularly important as we aged too and is something I've kept in mind since (I'm now 44).

The other knee sprain probably also took longer to heal because it was the knee that I put on the floor for starts and everytime I got down on that knee it hurt. It was in the middle of the season, so I wore knee pads then to help the injury along, but I don't think that really helped much.

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I guess mine wasn't as serious then, as I only took ten days off then I was back playing ice hockey. I am on my second round of PT though. Did the bursa on the back side of your knoee swell up in to a knot? I think they call it a a Baker's cyst.

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't remember anything like that. But then again, with the two simultaneous sprains, my knee was swelled up like a small basketball for awhile. I couldn't walk (used crutches) for a week or two, and couldn't fully straighten it for 3-4 weeks.

Julie

mvirtue
November 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM
Mvirtue will attest to this - we saw some serious "fights with walls" at Indoor Nationals this past July. Two people with very serious broken leg injuries (multiple fractures). Also some broken collarbones, and a broken nose (from a full face floor plant) comes to mind.

Actually the worst break happened before the wall. It even happened before the 4th pylon.

The walls major score was 1 collar bone and 1 ankle. But it did collect a large number of bodies.

roller_dudette
November 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
When the torn MCL/PCL injuries occurred (which was over 5 years ago), I was at a normal weight for my height (5'6" about 135-138 pounds). Can't say that's the case these days, lol... At that time, I was a newbie to speedskating. I also wasn't doing any sort of strength training then and that was something that was stressed to me in PT, even if using your own body weight to do the strengthening. The physical therapist had said that strengthening the muscles around the knee could sometimes help prevent or lessen the injury, and stressed that it was particularly important as we aged too and is something I've kept in mind since (I'm now 44).

The other knee sprain probably also took longer to heal because it was the knee that I put on the floor for starts and everytime I got down on that knee it hurt. It was in the middle of the season, so I wore knee pads then to help the injury along, but I don't think that really helped much.

Well, I'm short, wirey build, and lean. 5'1" 85lbs about. So when I land, I think there isnt so much impact at all. I've never been happy about being so small, but I think it really helps now with the falls! But I TOTALLY agree with strength training, especially as you get older. Thats what I'm doing now. I'm going slow at it too so my tendons/ligaments have the chance to get strong. I am guessing thats why as we get older, most get injured more often/more severe too. Most of us had periods when we were more or less sendentary. Things get weak QUICK.

But thats why I think I'm out of doing derby. I still think the weight of a 200 lb woman would crush me!

oldnslow
November 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
85 lbs., what the .....? How in the .....?

roller_dudette
November 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Take a 12-13 year old kid, thats still me. :mad: My bones never got big or wide like everyone else in this world. I'm short and wirey. But SOLID and strong. Seems like for skating, I just fit in with all the kids at the skatepark even though I'm as old as their mom probably. :p I'm the same size as they are! I look like a gymnast.

Rink Rat
November 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Roller Dudette, stop hijacking the thread! We know you're small enough to be mistakened for a child. :)

With all due respect to the injured knees and ligaments out there, where are the broken bones, particularly legs and ankles?

Bill in Houston
November 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
It's just you, dude. :-)

Seriously, it's pretty tough to break a leg unless you are in some sort of aggressive skating situation, or you get hit by a car.

roller_dudette
November 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey, I'm just trying to figure out WHY people get injured and if there is anything I can do to prevent it, etc.

Really, I know a lot of broken wrists, mostly by people without or using less then ideal wrist guards and people who dont know how to slide the falls, but unless you have a bad fall on a vert ramp or something extreme, thats about it that I know of. I just know of sprains and strains mostly, sorry bout that. I've fallen from a 5 foot ramp and just got bruises. Anyway, heal up quickly! Good luck!!!! :wink:

oldnslow
November 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM
I remember a meet I was at back in the very early 80's. I saw a girl hit one of the upright beams of the building with her face so hard, her eye ball popped out. It was knarley. We got word that she was OK though.;)

JandKLarson
November 1st, 2007, 08:37 PM
I know of a horrendous leg break that happened at a speed team practice in our area back several years ago. This rink has several exit doors along the sides where the straightaways are and in line with where you could come out of a corner on a 100m track. The doors are sunk back several inches and the door frames are concrete/metal. Usually during speed practice, foam bumpers were put in the doorways, so if you were headed into them, you/your skates, would bounce back onto the main floor area. On this one occasion, no bumpers in the doors. A woman heads towards the door, skate gets caught in the doorway, body twists the opposite direction. She had a spiral fracture of both the tibia and fibia. Don't want to describe it beyond that because it was really, really bad. She had multiple surgeries. Never skated again. Mucho bucks were paid in a lawsuit. This type of severe injury seems to be a rarity though, and not the norm (hers, obviously, probably could have been avoided), even, as Mark mentioned above, with the "fights with the wall."

online inline
November 2nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
i am fairly sure i fractured a rib a few days after Duluth this year (Sept.). I fell on the trail at speed doing a cross over and rear toe wheel caught the forward heel wheel. I fell flat on the trail and jumped right up. A cyclist that I had just passed with much bravado, took the turn on the trail and saw me flat on the trail. I jumped up and caught him a few hundred yards down the trail, passing him again, but with much less cockiness this time... I'm sure he was thinking, oh great, i get to watch this all over again?

It didn't feel like anything at the time, but after two weeks, it got very tender and i couldn't even touch it at three weeks. After one month it slowly went away. I skated the whole time i had it with absolutely no problem except for this: I couldn't do my core training or plyometrics workouts for that month, and no crunches at all, And i pulled a muscle in my upper back about the same time, and the combo of the two made lifting my arms almost impossible. A few times i tried to jump over a curb or rumble strips on the trail, and it was scream out loud painful.

I think ignoring it made it take a real lot longer to heal, but no time lost.

And FWIW, i skated indoors speed for two years, and the more i did it, the more i realized i liked the danger apsect of it less and less. Reading your posts just reminds of the biggest reason i no longer speed skate with the indoor team, as easy as it was in many ways. I won't go into it, becuase it's frankly a bummer to hear if it's your thing, but i never got comfortable with indoor speed.