PDA

View Full Version : Switching frontwards to backwards and running

jaredrocks1
December 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi, Ive been skating awhile but i can switch from backwards to frontwards but not frontwards to backwards, I was wondering how to do that when i am going fast, I can do it when I go slow. I've noticed instead of pushing off at an angle that people "run" with their skates or it looks like I was wondering how to do that also its not really running but it looks like it and its faster then pushing at an angle it seemed like to me, thanks

l2edl2azor
December 28th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Practice, Practice...If you can do it slow then you can do it fast, you just need to practice. It will come with your own confidence. There is also a difference in turning into and out of your current lean based on which foot is supporting your weight.

I also assume you're on quads? I'll post some video of me doing some turns at a decent rate of speed.

jaredrocks1
December 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM
nope rollerblades i got k2's

D_block
December 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM
l2edl2azor, that spin move is the BEST !!

evilzzz
December 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Backwards to Forwards transitions are the bane of my learning curve too - I've probably lost more skin doing this than everything else put together!

Yeah, bascially it comes down to practice. I would always try to Mohawk turn backward but often didn't get enough rotation and ended up tripping over myself. It also boils down to having the confidence and conviction to do it properly - if you do a half-assed transition that is a bit hesitant then you are far more likely to mess it up.

Bill in Houston
December 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM
For the "running", you just turn your toes out and run. Try it on grass first.

Turning front to back, you just gotta do it. Practice, practice.

mikeyb
December 31st, 2007, 02:53 AM
While there are a lot of ways of transitioning forward to backward, skilled skaters, in the end, whether they realize it or not, mostly use the 'mohawk' turn or pivot. It would take a pile of paragraphs for me to describe this. I found a video of an ice hockey skater doing this. It's a good example except the pivot occurs quickly on an ice hockey skate so you may need to view it a few times to follow what this skater is doing. Unfortunately, the instructions under the video are really confusing and perhaps not worth reading.

http://www.hockeyshot.com/skating_trans.htm

In the mohawk, first one foot, then the other turn backwards. In this video, you'll see the skater briefly bend his right knee and glide forward and his right foot. Then he pushes off ever so quickly with the right foot while rotating his head, then shoulders, then hips in a counterclockwise direction. His feet simply follow so that his left foot is first to turn backwards. And as soon as the left foot sets down under his center of gravity, backwards, the right foot lifts up off the ice and turns backwards too.

The key advantage of the mohawk is that either foot is smoothly gliding under your center of gravity throughout the transition so to avoid slowing you down. So, if you're good at it, and this takes practice, you can do it smoothly at any speed.

Now there are keys to learning any new skill. For this, they are the following:

1. Be comfortable skating backwards so that when you do turn backwards you're able to put your foot under your center of gravity, well balanced.

2. The first move to starting this is to turn your head, then shoulders, then hips. You shouldn't have to think about what your feet are doing because they'll go there automatically. In fact, this is the main key to the skill. You must first turn your head and shoulders. If you move your feet first, it won't work. This is the main key to the skill.

3. Don't forget to bend your knees.

Mike B

Bill in Houston
December 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Good videos. It is easier to do it quickly than slowly.