PDA

View Full Version : a child of the onewheelskate

onewheelskate
January 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM
THE VIDEO (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-62405360111133487&hl=en)
this is a child of the onewheelskate which is a child of Thomas Luder's 1870 PEDESPEED.
The specs and how to are at http://dcrinlineskates.com/

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x32/onewheelskate/qsk8_dcr_sequence.jpg

onewheelskate
January 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
125mm on the onewheelskate. I purchased a RAZOR scooter with the new 125's
The RAZOR now has my old 80mm and my boys get a new RAZOR. My onewheelskates now have 125's.
The snow and ice around here will keep me from road testing them but soon I'll be rolling large:)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x32/onewheelskate/qsk8v125toscaleforforum.jpg
The above image is a mock up.

darthblader
January 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
...I don't get it....

onewheelskate
January 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
...I don't get it....

a picture is worth a thousand words...here are a few.
this is a sideways clapskate or lateral freedom. Your heel is free to rotate off of
the wheel frame through the lateral plane not the vertical plane.
Why do this? The end of your push is now behind you.
p.s. these are very dangerous!

More Cowbell
January 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
...I don't get it....I don't get it either, and your explanation doesn't make it any clearer. Do you have any videos of someone skating on these?

tdellaringa
January 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Why not just smash my ankles with a sledgehammer, that would be quicker! :biggrin:

Birgit
January 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Good for you - as long as I can keep all my wheels, I'm all smiles:smile:

Do you skate long skates on these or just around the block skates?

Bryan
January 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Learn to love that toe flick!

kufman
January 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hmmmm very weird. I can't even get roll on my two wheel ideas, one has to be even slower. :confused:

onewheelskate
January 28th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I don't get it either, and your explanation doesn't make it any clearer. Do you have any videos of someone skating on these?

video on the way. Huge snow around here right now:frown:
I'll work on the explanation.

onewheelskate
January 28th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Good for you - as long as I can keep all my wheels, I'm all smiles:smile:

Do you skate long skates on these or just around the block skates?

the Napa inline skate (http://www.cora.org/2008NAPAinlinemarathon.html) is in july so I'll mostly be rolling for 1 to 2 hrs.

onewheelskate
January 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I don't get it either, and your explanation doesn't make it any clearer. Do you have any videos of someone skating on these?

OK. So why do this? (for inline and ice, I'll do ice blades when I get a set)
I wanted the onewheelskate dynamic* but wanted to go faster than 4-10 mph steady state speed of the onewheelskates.
So the apple falls from the tree. I think what would happen if I could use a rack of wheels (for more speed) and pivot over the ball of the foot like the onewheelskates? ......inline skates, casters, springs and duct tape.... voila:
They work well above expectations.
caution caution they are ankle breakers.

p.s. this is now posted as GNU freeware I haven't done a patent on this. Oh well. freely i received freely i give.

the specs are at: http://dcrinlineskates.com

* p.p.s OK. So why do this?
I wanted the onewheelskate dynamic*
The onewheelskate dynamic is thus: Because I am on two unicycles things are going on that I do not have the Newtonian physics to explain. But when you push off one foot that foot rotates in the direction of the anticipated foot. Which means that at the end of the push both feet are on the same line and pointing the same direction.

any comments will point me in the right direction.

CrazyGambit
January 31st, 2008, 12:07 AM
Got any video of this in use? My mind is having a hard time wrapping its self around this.

onewheelskate
January 31st, 2008, 04:18 AM
Got any video of this in use? My mind is having a hard time wrapping its self around this.

do have video of onewheelskate, video of dcrinlineskating after the snow storms pass.
G_d willing in the next several days.
this link is to a 21 sec vid of the onewheelskate (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3758253982026572073) which shows the body position of either the onewheelskate or the dcrinlineskates dynamic.

kufman
January 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
This skate is supposed to be good for what? :confused:

unicycle1234
February 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM

Not for speed skating that's for sure:tongue: and I think this is still speed skating forum.

onewheelskate
February 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
the onewheelskate would be good for cross training, a change of pace. If one would maintain the inline skate technique (pushing out to the side) one would be on point instead of being on a 13 inch platform.

the dcrinllineskate is only good for training for the onewheelskate.

More Cowbell
February 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM
I watched the video... it appears to the opposite of fun.

onewheelskate
February 1st, 2008, 04:58 AM
Not for speed skating that's for sure:tongue: and I think this is still speed skating forum.

I raced in the 2007 Napa Vly inline 42k/21k (http://www.cora.org/2007NapaResults.htm), I raced the first 1/4 mile then survived the next 13 miles.

My first inline skate event was THE 2006 CALIFORNIA ROADSKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS (http://www.cora.org/CalRoadskateChamps2006.htm)
Canada Road, San Mateo, Ca.
October 29, 2006

one wheel fell off of one of my onewheelskates at the 5k mark for the next 5k I had to keep constant pressure on that skate to keep the wheel from leaving me. 90 min for 10k. I think I'm good for a pr in my next 10k.

G_d willing I hope to do some of the cora.org (www.cora.org) inline skating events this spring like the april race and then Napa Inline 42k in july.

I'm a back...way back of the pack participant of inline skate events.

The inline skating community is the friendliest group I have had the pleasure of being in the midst (end) of. In the last 30 yrs I have been a runner ( 5k 15:00 , 10k 31:00, 42k 20:29) A triathalete (worlds toughest 3 times ) Duathalite for Quintana Roo, when Dan owned it. Ride and tie (podium at world championships) xc ski racer ( elite farwest, the norskys were the tops then from UNR and Audun he was, well he was from valhalla and Odin sent him to teach us how to rethink xc ski racing.

so you guys are great, friendliest group

gospeedracer
February 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
No offense but with one wheel I would be a "way back in the pack" participant too!!
I esp like the bicycle tire video......oh ahhh oh ahhhh (in pain) LOL

Robin

hoffmonster
February 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
All I gots to say is...

Ouch!!!

Hoffmonster

CrazyGambit
February 2nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah i watched the videos too, i still do not get what the purpose of the one wheel skate is. I can say the video with the bike trailer tires was a trip.

kufman
February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
the onewheelskate would be good for cross training, a change of pace. If one would maintain the inline skate technique (pushing out to the side) one would be on point instead of being on a 13 inch platform.

the dcrinllineskate is only good for training for the onewheelskate.

I think it will promote more bad habits than anything. I don't see any extension in the strokes and with the wheel where it is, you are pushing from the wrong part of the foot. It also doesn't appear that you can lift the non pushing foot off the ground so you can't practice proper leg recovery after the push. I have made all kinds of crazy skates, but this one still confuses me.

darthblader
February 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
If nothing else, onewheelskate, I applaud you for doing something different and unique! If the size of speedskate wheels continues to increase, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone ends up on these, anyway...:)

darthblader
February 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
...I'd like to see somebody try those on a half-pipe!!!

tdellaringa
February 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
If nothing else, onewheelskate, I applaud you for doing something different and unique! If the size of speedskate wheels continues to increase, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone ends up on these, anyway...:)

Not one chance that will ever happen. It's fun to experiment for sure, but a skate like this has no real practical application to real skating. I could only see harm coming from even attempting to skate on it, which the author himself even intimated.

Regarding wheel size, plenty of people feel we've about hit the apex of size. You can't really go much bigger without losing a lot of control over the wheel, not without going to a 3-wheel setup, which is a whole other conversation.

darthblader
February 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Regarding wheel size, plenty of people feel we've about hit the apex of size. You can't really go much bigger without losing a lot of control over the wheel, not without going to a 3-wheel setup, which is a whole other conversation.

I'm stopping at 100's, myself. I don't race anyway...:D

onewheelskate
February 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM

So after an hour of practice here is the video.
when going to Kittyhawk you won't see a shuttle launch:rolleyes:

oompie
February 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
:eek: fast as hell!! Mantia eat your heart out!!

Don't see any benefit though so you must be in great shape. Try this a day and you probably pull every muscle you can by twisting your leg like that. Not to mention your big talent for toe-pushing :D

tdellaringa
February 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite of what the desired action would be.

kufman
February 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am all for weird setups and experimentation, but this one I just don't understand. :confused:

onewheelskate
February 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM
It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite of what the desired action would be.
Disclaimer time: the fire fox which is not a fox but a panda bear
likewise the qsk8 v.dcr-inline is not really skating even though one is rolling on a frame of inline wheels.
The actual motion is not skating but diagonal-centripetal-rotation stepping, striding,or running.

* p.p.s OK. So why do this?
I wanted the onewheelskate dynamic*
The onewheelskate dynamic is thus: Because I am on two unicycles things are going on that I do not have the Newtonian physics to explain. But when you push off one foot that foot rotates in the direction of the anticipated foot. Which means that at the end of the push both feet are on the same line and pointing the same direction.

I hope this disclaimer helps, besides when you pass me on a loop course you will be momentarily amused until the real reason why you skate takes over. Like lactic acid over load:redface:

darthblader
February 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I bet crossovers would be interesting!

unisk8r
February 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
You might want to try Heelys as well. Only they're more practical.

onewheelskate
March 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I bet crossovers would be interesting!
crossovers will be easy to video. The snow around here is turning into sierra cement so it's time to skate or rather roll.
Lets see if by april if I get a video up on the net of the lateralclapskate doing crossovers. Doing crossovers will be a major mile stone in mastering these lateralclapskates.

Drella
March 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I just found this on Richard's site. It appears that he's gone custom-loco too...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2340662438_5ee93721ae_m.jpg

edit: Let's not forget this little gem (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2706071620332926350)!

unisk8r
March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
This is not a flame, but skating is now competing with bicycling as harboring the most impractical, offbeat, and whimsical designs which have little to do with the actual activity!

inlina
March 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
edit: Let's not forget this little gem (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2706071620332926350)!

Funny thing is...Landroller started at a similar concept and realised very quickly it didn't work.

http://www.landroller.com/story.html ...see pages 2-6

I seem to come across people quite often that try concepts that have been attempted before and failed. A little bit of benchmarking on the internet quickly shows what people have tried and where it went wrong.

CG

Skatey
March 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
This is not a flame, but skating is now competing with bicycling as harboring the most impractical, offbeat, and whimsical designs which have little to do with the actual activity!
I don't think this guy's "invention" is indicative of much.

It's completely nonsense. In the video, the only time he actually gets forward momentum is when he's at the end of the twist, and finally puts a little force into the ground. That is, when he actually performs the motion of an inline skater.

The design of this "skate" seems to not be an improvement, but a deliberate attempt to make the motion of skating ineffective. It's as if he is trying to improve running by spinning on his toe.

Any time he starts talking about physics, it's inane. "Diagonal-centripetal-rotation" are words that one might find in a physics class, but stringing them together doesn't make an invention.

If you try to cut through what he's saying, he gets to the possibility that this avoids "lactic acid over load". Well, if that's true, it's true because you can't actually move in these things. Sitting on the couch avoids "lactic acid over load", too, but I'm not posting videos of me doing it on a skating message board.

Now, the clap-skate is an invention. It recognizes where power in skating comes from and is designed to extract more power from the stroke. If you want to change inline skating. . .make a light, efficient clap skate.

If you want to say things like, "they didn't fly a space shuttle at Kittyhawk" and never get called out on your BS, invent a "diagonal-centripetal-rotation" device.

onewheelskate
March 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM
I don't think this guy's "invention" is indicative of much.

It's completely nonsense. In the video, the only time he actually gets forward momentum is when he's at the end of the twist, and finally puts a little force into the ground. That is, when he actually performs the motion of an inline skater.

The design of this "skate" seems to not be an improvement, but a deliberate attempt to make the motion of skating ineffective. It's as if he is trying to improve running by spinning on his toe.

Any time he starts talking about physics, it's inane. "Diagonal-centripetal-rotation" are words that one might find in a physics class, but stringing them together doesn't make an invention.

If you try to cut through what he's saying, he gets to the possibility that this avoids "lactic acid over load". Well, if that's true, it's true because you can't actually move in these things. Sitting on the couch avoids "lactic acid over load", too, but I'm not posting videos of me doing it on a skating message board.

Now, the clap-skate is an invention. It recognizes where power in skating comes from and is designed to extract more power from the stroke. If you want to change inline skating. . .make a light, efficient clap skate.

If you want to say things like, "they didn't fly a space shuttle at Kittyhawk" and never get called out on your BS, invent a "diagonal-centripetal-rotation" device.

nice non flame
the snow is now gone from the neighborhood, so lateralclapskate time.
video by april of crossovers G_d willing
by for now

onewheelskate
April 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
The crossover video I've done is so bad I decided not to post it.

It turns out that there will be no crossover when using the lateralclapskates because there will be no need for that dynamic. Since one is rotating about the 'z' axis while the rack of wheels are tracking in the x y plane, the feet stay parallel to each other.

After some more time on the lateralclapskates I'll do a video of corners.

by for now

qsk8.com aka onewheelskate

crossovers will be easy to video. The snow around here is turning into sierra cement so it's time to skate or rather roll.
Lets see if by april if I get a video up on the net of the lateralclapskate doing crossovers. Doing crossovers will be a major mile stone in mastering these lateralclapskates.

s243a
April 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The only good thing I can see about the skate is building balance and calf muscles.

Skateguy
April 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I raced in the 2007 Napa Vly inline 42k/21k (http://www.cora.org/2007NapaResults.htm), I raced the first 1/4 mile then survived the next 13 miles.

My first inline skate event was THE 2006 CALIFORNIA ROADSKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS (http://www.cora.org/CalRoadskateChamps2006.htm)
Canada Road, San Mateo, Ca.
October 29, 2006

one wheel fell off of one of my onewheelskates at the 5k mark for the next 5k I had to keep constant pressure on that skate to keep the wheel from leaving me. 90 min for 10k. I think I'm good for a pr in my next 10k.

G_d willing I hope to do some of the cora.org (www.cora.org) inline skating events this spring like the april race and then Napa Inline 42k in july.

I'm a back...way back of the pack participant of inline skate events.

The inline skating community is the friendliest group I have had the pleasure of being in the midst (end) of. In the last 30 yrs I have been a runner ( 5k 15:00 , 10k 31:00, 42k 20:29) A triathalete (worlds toughest 3 times ) Duathalite for Quintana Roo, when Dan owned it. Ride and tie (podium at world championships) xc ski racer ( elite farwest, the norskys were the tops then from UNR and Audun he was, well he was from valhalla and Odin sent him to teach us how to rethink xc ski racing.

so you guys are great, friendliest groupBe strong on your ideas. Your one wheeler could be a heck of a figure Skate kinda thing. And if not in the "Main Skating Forum" where else would you be able to show it, right. ---I still remember the grief I received the first time I showed Folks Inline skates here. I thought my friends would laugh me out of town---just prior to them buying a pair of course. New ideas often are stepping stones to other new ideas. Look ahead.--I was pleasantly surprised that they worked at all in that video. good Job.

onewheelskate
May 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
The following video is slow motion of slow motion so that one would be able to break down the dynamics better.:rolleyes:

v.2 qsk8.com video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6969888010523832478&hl=en)

thank you