PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here skate for transportation?

Joey
January 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm new to this place and happy to see all of the categories provided here for all types of skates and skaters....except one.

Am I the only person here who skates for transportation to work, to the grocery, library, museum, movies, etc.? Have I missed the section where transportation skaters gather here?

I have enjoyed being car free for nearly 20 years now. Mostly I bicycle for utilitarian purposes because of weather constraints and the limitations of skates for rain water and horrible road surfaces. But every chance I get I skate to all sorts of places in New Orleans and other cities that I visit. I very rarely just "go out for a skate". I pretty much don't bike or skate just for fun any more than car owners drive around the block a few times just for fun.

More than once I dropped my wife's car off at the mechanic shop, strapped on my skates and skated back home. Am I alone?

So please! If you skate to a destination, ANY destination, including the coffee shop, lets see a "show of hands" so maybe we can get our own category. Maybe "Where Did You Skate To Today", or something like that.

Roll On!

-Joey

Seluv
January 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I used to skate to work when I lived in Atlanta a few years back during my "Babylon" experience (the absolute worst time in my life). I lived far out in the east suburbs and since I almost always had car trouble, most of the time I had to take 3 buses and 2 trains just to get to work as a stockroom supervisor at Bath & Body Works/Whitebarn Candle Co. in the Lenox Mall working 4-5 hour a day (long story):rolleyes:. But anyway the closest bus stop to my house was 6 miles away. So I would skate up and down those "Rolling Georgia hills" made so famous by A2A on beautiful two lane highways with no sidewalks or bike lanes or hint of civilization for miles. Don't even get me started on my wild life encounters. It sounds terrible but actually it was the most enjoyable time of my entire 9 month torture :mad: in ATL. I think maybe it has scared me because now I live about 3 miles away from work and I have not skated there once. Now I only "go out and for a skate" for the pure enjoyment:wink:.

MANY_SkatingDave
January 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Hi,

We have somebody from Chicago that has friends that skate to work even in the rain, or skate from their parking place to work. Years ago I used to bike to work.

Since you are from Louisiana check out PowerSnatch's notes once and awhile since she is from your turf and you might even decide to go to one of her Derby events.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

four_spin
January 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I got suckered in by your graphic of the skating girls with their tans and tank tops. Now, where was I....;)

Joey
January 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I got suckered in by your graphic of the skating girls with their tans and tank tops. Now, where was I....;)

Manhattan Beach - 4th of July weekend a few years ago. Thought about posting that photo under the "Why Do You Skate" string. :D

Davey_Speedstar
January 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I often skate accross town from the car park to the office, (although it's been too damp to do so over the last few weeks).

See my blog for 7th Sept 2007 (http://www.speedstar.karoo.net/Skating/Blogs%202007/sep07.htm)

ncsk8rgirl
January 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I did when I was in High school MANY years ago. I worked about 3 iles from home & had it timed out perfectly... If I skated, I could actually leave the house later... If I drove, I would have to deal with traffic, finding a parking spot, etc.. I was always late when I drove...I was such a slacker back then... lol

CrazyGambit
January 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I used to skate to work and most everywhere when i was in my early 20's and was in Oregon which is a lot more skate friendly environment. Now i drive to skate.:(

Bryan
January 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I usually ride my bike to the university campus where I skate, with my skates in saddlebags. But sometimes if circumstances work out I skate instead. Does that count? No? Not even a little bit?

eighteen_psi
January 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I went to school for a year or so on my Lightnings...the Bonts have been taken to work on more than a few occasions :) Same for grocery runs, coffee, etc. As *main* transportation, no...though I may try that this summer when the weather is more reliable.

mvirtue
January 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Until I changed offices this past June, I commuted daily (rain/snow/sunshine) from the ferry terminal to my office. In two years we will be changing again and it might be possible for me to again start commuting by skate.

Live2sk888
January 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
More than once I dropped my wife's car off at the mechanic shop, strapped on my skates and skated back home. Am I alone?

I always bring my skates so I have a way back home when I have to drop off my car at the shop... thought I was the only crazy one that did that.

There was one semester of school when I didn't have a car and I skated pretty much everywhere. It was actually a lot of fun! (except when I was a couple miles from home and it started raining!!)

I could never give up my car, but my skates definitely have saved me a few times when my car broke down!

Joey
January 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Does that count?

Anything counts that gets you from point A to point B. I don't care if the coffee shop is a few blocks, or you park your car off campus and skate to class. Skating from the car or the train/bus station to work is cool to.

I guess I am looking for utilitarian use of inline skates here whatever the distance or starting point, as apposed to skating for fun or fitness alone.

Great comments so far. Thanks!

-Joey

Bill in Houston
January 30th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Back when we had Blockbuster, I skated up there a few times to return movies. I can't figure out a safe way to get to our grocery store...

Joey
January 30th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Well, since I started this topic, might as well post some skating destinations of my own. I did not skate on rainy days much tho.

For about ten years, I skated to work religiously. Two miles at the shortest distance, but often I would make an 8 mile skate by adding the Lakefront on the way including a breakfast stop at Smoothie King.

I skate to the New Orleans Museum of Art. Check my skate frames at the cloak room (my skates have removable frames and the boots are walkable - see hypnoskates.com). This is an easy skate of nearly a mile, mostly through City Park.

The Audubon Zoo is my favorite destination. Takes about 40 minutes. I bring a small padlock and used their free lockers to keep helmet and skate frames secure while I walk around the zoo. Lots of iffy streets and broken sidewalks make for a good workout.

The French Quarter is 4 miles from my house down Canal Street which has been recently resurfaced. Near downtown I pick up the paved trolley-only lanes down the center of the road. From there I can go right and skate around the Central Business District - awesome on Sundays, challenging on weekdays. Or go left from Canal Street and enter the Quarter on Bourbon Street which is always smoothly surfaced. If I go straight on Canal I get to the Mississippi River. I can cross the ferry and skate a path on the West Bank. I like to shop at the Riverwalk near the ferry terminal on the east side. This route gets me to my new job near the French Quarter.

Carnival (2 weeks leading up to Mardi Gras) I skate some parade routes when the cops close the streets to cars. Sweet!

I also skate to my dentist twice a year. About 4 miles. After teeth cleaning I go to Barnes & Noble, visit some friends near there at their work, then lunch at a vegetarian eatery (I'm not vegetarian, but eat that way most of the time).

I sometimes skate to my wife's office. Not a great route but less than 2 miles and doable.

Years ago when I was a lad of 25 or so my girlfriend got mad at me for no good reason (except that SHE was drunk as usual) and kicked me out of her car about 5 miles from my house. I had my old quads with me so I put them on and skated home around 1AM on deserted streets. Memorable!

That's all I can think of for now.