PDA

View Full Version : exercises for strengthening outer leg muscles

mentalblock
January 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Does anyone have any good exercises for strengthening the outer leg muscles/ exercises to help get rid of skating knock kneed?

Thanks.

Bill in Houston
January 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Slideboard. Do a search here and you will find a lot of info, including how to make your own.

streamline
January 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Lunges, if you're interested I'll post you a list and description of numerous types with and with out dumbbells. I'll keep checking your thread.

mentalblock
January 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I already do lunges, but I would love to see a list of maybe some different versions that work different muscles. Thanks!

I'll add that I play roller derby so when I'm skating, it's on quads.

streamline
January 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
These can be done safely with dumbbells unless otherwise stated

Balance Lunge; one foot on chair or bench lunge 25 reps ea.

Step back lunge; try to keep back leg straight 15-20 reps

Three way lunge with two kick option; twelve, one-thirty, three o'clock, add either flick kick or straight leg kick after each lunge. No weights

Sneaky lunge; on toes constantly moving forward 30 reps ea.

Alternating side lunge; try to keep torso straight 24 reps. No weights

Using balance board between sets for stabilizer muscles.

Good luck, this is for life!

kufman
January 31st, 2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.bont.com/news/featurearticles/landtraining/landtraining.htm

The cross-over drill seems to work well.

Ken Roberts
February 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The cross-over drill seems to work well.That looks like a very creative idea for working muscles for pushing to the side.

Lotsa strength-training rooms at health clubs have a seated hip abductor machine. "Hip abduction" is the move where you push the upper leg sideways outward from underneath the hip. I've also found creative ways to use a "rotary hip" machine to work hip-abduction from a standing position -- but now I've come to think the seated position is more specific for skating.

I also figured out a creative way to use the "rotary hip" machine to apply resistance to a "medial hip rotation" move. If the leg is bent like in skating, this move feels more like it's from the knee rather than the hip: Pushing the lower leg and ankle sideways outward from underneath the (bent) knee. There's also a way to train this move with a "low pulley" machine.

But seems to me really the simple proven way to train all these muscles in a skate-specific way is what Bill said: slideboard.I've never been able to get into that myself. I'd rather go out on the streets and just skate (with focus on using the muscles on the outside).Ken

MachV
February 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
If you want to work the inner thighs, TURN YOUR TOES OUT when doing squats or lunges. To work the outter thigh muscles, TURN YOUR TOES IN. It's that simple.