PDA

View Full Version : Skating in Russia

Rollerjoel
November 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Kathy and friends, I am leaving for Russia next week for a quick business trip. I will be arriving into Moscow on Thursday for a couple of days and then on to St Petersburg for the weekend.
I have read Kathy's writeup and love the idea of bringing my skates. The only problem is the weather. Forcast looks gloomy, snow rain cold.

Is anyone travelling there now or lives there that can give me an update whether I should bring my skates or not. And, if you are there, perhaps we can take a roll around town.

Thanks Joel
www.rollamerica.com

KeLLy
November 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hi

I can refer you to this topic: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690

and you could pm Nightwind, since he is from Moskou.

grtz.

Pepper Montana
November 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM
We want pictures! Take your skates regardless of the weather and make a statement about your love of skating. I am sooo envious. Have a great trip!

KeLLy
November 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
your envious coz you want to skate in snow :confused:

i'm happy coz it's dry today with blue sky's.... after breakfast, i'm going out :D (first fitness, then after lunch (gotta change the wheels first) slalom - i have a day of :D

gbo
November 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
KeLLy wrote:
.... after breakfast, i'm going out (first fitness, then after lunch (gotta change the wheels first) slalom - i have a day of

:D :D :D Nice weather and a day off. Happy coincidence.

Pepper Montana
November 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM
your envious coz you want to skate in snow :confused:

Because he gets to go to Moscow at all. The skating there would be a huge bonus.

Edit: I'm not sure how to say "pointless and and without reason" in Belgian. (Yah I know, French, Dutch, German) Skating in Moscow wouldn't win a person any prizes but it would be something unique and different that a person could claim that they did.

KeLLy
November 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
ok ok

no need to bite my head off

hmm how bout "onzinnig"?

EdA
November 15th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hi, Joel.
You can take the skates with you. But everything depends on what you want.
In Moscow.
If you want adventures, welcome to freezzzeskating (not real russian freezzzeskating, because forecast to next week is only from -3 to +3 degree(Celsium) and they don't promise nor snow nor rain). But we never trust to forecasts. I've return just now from some skatewalk with my friends. pavements and roads already are dry, but you neeed good clothes 'cos wind is cold.
If you want meet moscow skaters, welcome to rollerdrom ( or rollerrink or I don't know how you name it), you'll meet there lot of skaters. (You needn't take your skates, pair of it for rent costs about 6 dollars per hour.)
Anyway I can make a company for you. Be our guest.
In StPetersburg.
I can give you contact of person in StP who can help you. He is former leader of Friday Inline Night, very friendly, and fluently speak english.
Also I can post your message on rollerskate forums, I think collective intelligence will give you much advises and ideas.
Best regards, Ed.
Some frezzzeskate stories here
http://rollerclub.ru/english/rollerview/freezeskaters.htm
http://rollerclub.ru/english/rollerview/knocker.htm

Rollerjoel
November 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks Ed and everyone for your help
That would be great. I may not have time to go to the Rollerdome in Moscow.
I would welcome your contact person in ST Petersburg. I will be leaving New York tomorrow so if I can have his information, I can email him before I leave and call him when I get there.
-3 -+3 is warm ;o). I live in New York and skate as long as the streets are dry. I guess I will bring my skates just to have the option of rolling through the streets of St P.
Thanks again and speak soon, Joel

EdA
November 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hi, Joel
I have send you private message
Ed

OlegV
November 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hi, Joel.

Ed informed me about your trip to Russia.

Please visit our web site (http://www.inline.spb.ru/index-eng.html) - it is in English. You will find some videos and articles (in English) about skating in St.Petersburg and other places.

Unfortunately, now there is a 'wrong' season to inline skate. Raining, snowing ...

In any case, you are welcome :).

Oleg

NightWind
November 25th, 2006, 12:00 AM
We want pictures! Take your skates regardless of the weather and make a statement about your love of skating. I am sooo envious. Have a great trip!

The weather is not that bad here at the moment!)) It's just drizzling a bit. The trouble it they put too much snow melting stuff on the roads last week and it gets into bearings and they just stuck! My friend and I had to go back home and change bearings on Tuesday... And we have to take a clean set every time we go skating. But we can't resist the temptation... because we do LOVE skating:)

NightWind
November 25th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Skating in Moscow wouldn't win a person any prizes [/SIZE][/SIZE]

NO PRIZE??? Why on Earth???:) :) :)

janneman
November 25th, 2006, 01:33 AM
no need to bite my head off

ah plz don't - we dont need headless chicks here ;)

@Oleg: hi there dude! fun to see a sign of life from you!

and oh... http://www.snelleboten.nl/forum/images/smiles/custom_useless.gif

lee-mcdonald
November 25th, 2006, 02:39 AM
hahaha i like your emoticon thing...kathie u should add them 2 the toolbar

KeLLy
November 29th, 2006, 11:00 AM
So.. share with us

how was it?