View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

+1 on getting skates in the $100-$150 range. Something I posted a while back for newbies. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING A 100MM SETUP.

"Go online to inlinewarehouse.com or skates.com and look for recreational inline skates.

I am personally a RB ("Rollerblade", you might see "RB" posted on the forum, now you know what it means) person but K2 is very similar. If you have no skating experience whatsoever, go with the cheaper ones that have smaller wheels (76, or 78 mm), but if you have some skating experience, and want to persevere with this endeavor, I would get the better ones with the 80mm wheels. Also I would take in mind, that if you lost a lot of weight, I would think that your ankle muscles may be a little stronger than average, due to holding up more weight in the past. I donít know this as a fact, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Ignore the ratings on the bearing, they mean nothing to you at this stage. Also the hardness of the wheel rating is of no consequence for a beginner.

I would choose a skate the you like and order it in he size you think would fit you, plus a half of a size smaller. A good snug fitting boot is more important than, wheels, frames, snd/or bearings, as long as it doesn't squash you foot bad enough to cause pain. You should try them on, and just sit around on a couch for 10 Ė 15 minutes, (no need to stand on them) and see if they feel okay and not causing pain from being to tight, or the other way around, they are too loose that the heel of your foot can move up and down, if you pick up your skate.

When trying on the skates, do it on carpet, so as not to put any scuff marks on the wheels. This is critical! If you try them on a hard surface, it will show on the wheels, and THEY WILL BE DEEMED USED AND RENDERED UN-RETURNABLE.

Next item on the list. Protective equipment. To me, helmet and wrist guards are mandatory, knee and elbow pads, just plain old common sense. If you are trying to save the $30, you are wasting you money because the first fall, (usually within the first few hours of skating) might cost you a $30 doctor copay anyway, and then you will be left with nothing. Wal-Mart has bike helmets for as little as $10 - $15 dollars. This was good for me until the weather got real hot and I was skating hard, day after day, for at least an hour. So I got a great helmet at PerformanceBike.com for under $50 that keeps me cool. Better helmets for woman, are made with a larger vent hole in the rear for the pony tail to hang out.

The first few times out on skates can be a little scary. It takes a lot of practice in an awkward position to be able to learn how to use the rear brake on an inline skate. Ironically, a new brake with more rubber left on it, is harder to stop on, even for the experienced user. So it is imperative, that a beginner find a flat area only, for the first few times out. I mean dead flat. You will be amazed how fast you can pick up speed on the slightest of hills, and by the time you realize it, your in trouble. Parking lots are great. Enclosed tennis and basketball courts come to mind. Having grassy areas next to you practice areas come in handy if you need to bail out and stop. It also is useful to practice just walking around on in your skates, while getting used to the feeling of things.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote