View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:26 PM   #183
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Using a good solvent is probably do a better job but I do not like to deal with most solvents because of the odor or the effect they will have on the skin, so I clean my bearings using an ultrasonic cleaner filled with WD40. WD40 acts as a degreaser and the ultrasonic cleaner gets any particles out. After that, I blow the bearings with compressed air and allow any oil to dry out. I also remove, clean and reset the bearing retainers during the process. Then I put a drop of speed cream on each bearing. This has worked well for me. I usually clean my bearings a week before each competition and at least once every 6 months. I have been able to maintain the condition of my bearings for over 20 years. I am more surprised that my $12 ultrasonic cleaner from over 20 years ago is still working today.
I have used Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner with great results. It saved a few sets of bearings back in 2007 when the first Team Skatelog team did the Montreal 24 Hour Roller and it rained pretty heavily in the nighttime hours.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote