Thread: 1 skate for all
View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:59 PM   #10
Ancient1

Default Different strokes for different folks

I never liked stiff boots. My ankles were strong and steady always and I found that I could do more with more flex in my boots for my footwork. I know many skaters want stiff boots but I have a different preference.

Yes, Super deluxe is old school and they are heavy, and I will agree to that. That still doesn't negate that many gold level skaters used them in the day and swore by them. The down side of the super deluxe is that they are much heavier and lower response. I find the heavy and slower response a plus, especially to a new skater. It provides stability instead of unintentional movement. They will still respond well, just not as easily or better yet, not as unintentionally. The heavy build gave me more of a feeling that I had a strong support as opposed to my Snyder advantage. It is just my personal feelings. I could do well on the old and the new tech plates but after using both, I think I prefer the heavier old school. Sir Aaron, you can choke and puke, but it feels better for me on the heavier old school. Some people love liver, some don't. On the old school, I could do triples and my spins and footwork. I could dance and figures. I also felt better on them and I could rex and speed skate in sessions with them very well.

Learning, It would cost you more than $500 for a good setup. The Super Deluxe plates are about $375 just by themselves. A pair of boots from 220, to 297 or other models in that range cost about $250 to $450. The 220 is about $250 and they can be softened from riedell for an extra charge if you want a 220 not as stiff. But the cheaper boots (which I have tried, like the 120) just don't hold up to hard practice.

Overall you are looking more at a realistic price of $800 to $1,200 for a good pair of competition setup skates because you also need toe stops, bearings and wheels to add to that and also tax and shipping and handling and build cost of you buy from a place like Connies Skate Place. And just a plug for Connies: They are long time competition skaters and will do a correct build and provide good advice if you would like it. I would trust them more than the local rink of today who has a kid off the street putting the skates together. Just my not so humble opinion...