View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM   #453
Sir Aaron

Hello all. I've joined the ranks of artistic skaters. I'm taking lessons now from an artistic skater who competes regularly. I'm a male, 38, living in Houston, TX. I hadn't skated since I was a teenager (maybe once or twice as an adult). My oldest daughter, soon to be 7, had been exposed to skating at her preschool (field trip). She also got a pair of outdoor roller skates and wanted to learn. I decided the best thing to do was to go to a local skating rink.

That progressed to lessons every week to buying the family their own skates to taking private lessons. And now I'm taking some superskater II test and will enter the advanced/competition class soon. The girls at the rink (all girls) all seem genuinely amused by me taking lessons and actually seem to miss me when I'm not at their lesson (because I was late and had to show up for the basic or intermediate classes).

Both of my daughters (6 and 3) have learned to skate and really enjoy it. It's been fun to skate with my kids, encourage them, and do a physical activity as a family.

I was an athlete for most of my life and until I was a father of two girls, wouldn't be caught dead doing artistic type roller skating. Now I find I enjoy it (it challenges me athletically in ways other sports don't). Plus, I've lost enjoyment in sports such as basketball and softball because of the total lack of fun displayed in many of these leagues now. Not to mention, if I play basketball that is time away from my kids whereas if I'm practicing skating at least we are at the same place at the same time (even if we aren't in the same class).

I don't know how long I'll keep it up. Honestly, I do feel a little awkward being the only male out there but on the other hand I think the other parents are missing out. I don't know what I'll do when my kids decide to go all in on another sport and give up skating! I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote