Thread: Soup Recipes
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM   #12
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Again Thanks Christine...

Big Batch Minestrone Soup

The night before I prepare the soup, I put a pound of Cannellini beans in a large pot and cover them with triple the amount of water and place them in the refrigerator.
After letting the soaked beans sit overnight, I pull them from the refrigerator and place them on the stove. Since the beans have soaked up nearly all the water from the night before, I add more to cover them by a couple of inches and then bring them to a simmer for 40 minutes.
After chopping onions, celery, zucchini and tomatoes, I saute all but the zucchini briefly and add the chicken stock that I made two nights ago and the beans (and their liquid) that have been simmering. As the mixture simmers I add a dollop of chopped garlic. A cup of uncooked short-grained brown rice goes into the pot while there's still nearly an hour left to simmer the soup.
While the soup simmers, the children set the table. Once the rice and beans are tender, I add the chopped zucchini and a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves to the soup on the stove, adjusting the seasoning as needed with chicken base, pepper and some freshly chopped oregano. After six minutes of simmering I ladle the brew into large bowls. My daughter grates fresh Pecorino-Romano cheese over each bowl, lending a sharp, earthy flavor to the meal.