View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:48 PM   #184
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Using a good solvent is probably do a better job but I do not like to deal with most solvents because of the odor or the effect they will have on the skin, so I clean my bearings using an ultrasonic cleaner filled with WD40. WD40 acts as a degreaser and the ultrasonic cleaner gets any particles out. After that, I blow the bearings with compressed air and allow any oil to dry out. I also remove, clean and reset the bearing retainers during the process. Then I put a drop of speed cream on each bearing. This has worked well for me. I usually clean my bearings a week before each competition and at least once every 6 months. I have been able to maintain the condition of my bearings for over 20 years. I am more surprised that my $12 ultrasonic cleaner from over 20 years ago is still working today.

As long as you get the WD 40 gone before rolling them, you should be fine.. I still don't get this love of Speed Cream. I can't see any difference between it and many other things...except cost.