View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Armadillo

Default I skate flat out fast outdoors - no real turns to slow down for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I made my Bones as an outdoor quad skater 29 years ago, and though I now skate rinks as much as or more than outdoors, consider myself an outdoors man at heart.

Funny, I've never really dealt with the consensus here about equipment: forward mount, long plate, low-top boots, even sluggish plate action. I just skate with what I have, which has always been an art setup. I've never had problems with that, but perhaps have become hyper conscious of road debris.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is a dimension to outdoor quad skating besides tuning the equipment for the special surface conditions. My belief is that there is a different type of experience and mindset among outdoor quadders versus outdoor inliners. Ditto indoor quad/inline.

Maybe it is that outdoor quad skaters take a more leisurely approach than the inline people? Certainly, I've never gone very fast when skating outdoors. If I find a sweet stretch of pavement, I'll let loose, but mostly I like to explore and enjoy the scenery while at the same time making my trips an errand that accomplishes something.
My outdoor skating focus is how fast can I go and sustain for distance.
Nothing beats good wheels to make that happen. High rebound urethane, big hubs 45-50mm, and large OD 65-70+mm.

-Armadillo