View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #16
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLPearson79 View Post
I am on a pair of 12-year-old RB Lightning 10s that desperately need replacing and will be within the next month. I will miss them...they are long-time loyal companions and outlasted my ex-husband by almost double

I live near a 7 mile long paved trail that is great for down-and-back laps. It could be longer but I'll take it.

I run and skate. I made the mistake of signing up for the Indy Mini next year when the reg was super cheap so now I have to follow through. I also have a 5k on 9/3 and need to find a 10k for the fall. As far as skating goes, I have not ever raced but want to do CIM next year. My current long skates are about 10 miles. My 10k time is right around 30 minutes, which I realize sucks but will improve with work.

I could use some advice about skates. I am leaning towards Bont Semi-Race but am open to suggestions; my main question is the benefit of 110s over 100s. I have a small foot (size 4) and I feel like 110s will almost be ridiculously long...but if that's how it is, then so be it and I'll learn to love it for the sake of improvement.

Goals. 140 miles on wheels, and non-stop 5k on foot. I need to drastically improve core strength and flexibility as well, and drop about 10 pounds. Looking forward to some hard work.
Couple of quick questions: You are currently on skates with a 100mm set up, correct? In considering the Bont Semi-Race, are you looking for a skate that is more of a speed skate with a carbon boot? Do you have an idea of how long you want to skate with new boots?

Generally, if you are on 100mm wheels, you are probably best to stay there. My understanding is the RB Lightning 10s have 100mm wheels, unless I am looking at the wrong product. You could easily skate CIM in these kinds of boots, in fact, most people that skate that race do use a marathon style fitness boot. As for increasing your pace, that is really all about training.

For marathon training, I usually do two long skates, 20+ miles, an interval/hill skate (hills are important for Chicagoland because the course is full of them), a tempo skate (basically at race speed), and a take at least one recovery day. The other day will either be something technique specific, dryland, or weights depending on the time of the year.

For skates, if you like your current set up and want to stay with that kind of skate, get something similar. If you want to move toward a speed skate, opinions differ on whether to go with a high cuff speed style boot or a low cut speed boot specifically. I jumped from K2 Radical 90s to a Bont Jet 110mm set up without much trouble, but you will still have time to get used to the boot and skating without a cuff. I prefer the speed boot because you get more range of motion in the ankles which helps with technique. I put on a pair of K2 Moto 84s the other day and was shocked at how little range of motion there was in the cuff. I was considering the Semi-Race, but because my goal was to speed skate, I opted for a lower cut boot, and I am glad I cut out the middle step of the Semi-Race. Again, everyone who has been through this process has a different opinion. I think it totally depends on your goals. Are you planning on training for CIM 2015 with sights on racing the NorthShore Inline Marathon? Do you want to continue to skate fast and focus on technique to get you there? A speed boot may be better than the Semi-Race.

The Bont Jet is a fantastic starter boot. I had one for two years. Beware of Bont's sizing. Their boots fit differently. Connect with someone who can help you get the right fit because in any boot made of carbon/fiberglass, that is very important. They need to be tight, but fit, if that makes sense. I wear a size 8 to 9 in US street shoes, but wear a size 6.5 Bont boot.

As for wheel size, with a smaller foot, you probably want to stay on 100mm wheels anyway. 110s take a lot of power to push. Unless you are super powerful, 110s may not be the best way to go. I originally ordered 100mm wheels, but when my skates came, they had 110mm wheels. I don't regret staying with that wheel size because I can push those wheels, but for shorter people with smaller feet, it probably best to stick with a 4x100 frame set up.

Oh, if you like the idea of combined races, check out the Minnesota Half Marathon Duathlon. It is a half marathon skate followed by a 5k run. Race just ran last weekend, and usually happens the first weekend in August.