View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #51
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherTONE View Post
Bravo!

Well said. Plain and simple and to the point. Your last sentence was KEY. Thus is why I really emphasize 'bushing configuration' (and I know that's still just a small part) but it's a well overlooked area of Tuning your entire skate to your liking and your skating advantage.

in regards to previous statements in this thread....

Some want to speak about stability and the fact that the 30* KP angle in the very well designed(IMO) DA45 chasis are not optimal for stability. And I say (in agreement) that yes, lesser angles on the KP will present a skater with a bit more stability while at high speeds, and that the 30* angled KP (D/A)will allow for a much better turning radius.... but people are not considering where the majority of racing is taking place

Important fact:
I've speed skated/raced competitively for years and I would have to say from experience that the majority of races are taking place on oval short track (indoor skate rinks) and maybe at times larger ovals (such as in warehouses) or on Hockey courts (in or outdoor). Speed skaters are skating 'ovals' or more oblong configurations; and when does a Speed Skater ever get to a 'speed' where 'instability' at speeds are a major issue??? NEVER. Not unless we're being pulled by an automobile at 40 miles per hour.

Unless it's someone who does time-trials or races on straight-a-ways; (which is not nearly as common); a speed skater is rarely in a 'straight' long enough, or at speeds nearly high enough to make even mediocre skate chasis "shake rattle and roll". Speed skaters are 'almost' always in a constant 'cross over'. And moreover, when the skater is in a cross over while turning, the inside skate (left skate - going counter clockwise) is almost in a constant flex-turn while skating the diamond. So now tell me how the 30* KP in a DA45 based plate (or any plate with a high angled KP) doesn't benefit the skater much more than the more upright angled KP's (10*, 12*, 15*, 17*, etc)??

It does. It makes perfect mechanical sense and perfect physical sense, and by my own experience, it makes for an amazing feature on a speed skate! (IMO)
You gloss over the key aspect of stability on a skates, regardless of speed.

All speed skaters in motion are continuously adjusting their focus of weight onto their plates, and are typically rolling with only one foot down the majority of the time. Placement of the skaters focus of weight onto the skate needs to be precise in order to follow the optimum track. The better skaters are usually the most accurate at maintaining the proper focus of their weight over their skates and nailing the most efficient track line around the oval, but no one is perfect.

This is where skate stability factors into the equation. Since speed skaters are continuously making slight errors in placement of the focus of their weight onto their skate (plate lean), the plates having the highest level of turn response (like DA45) plates are going to experience the largest amount of path deviation away from the optimum track. Even if the amplitude of this kind of path deviation is slight, it still steals energy.
With a less turn responsive plate setup, the same degree of error in focus of weight placement (plate lean) will not trigger as much path deviation from the optimum line, and thus less energy gets wasted. This is how greater action stability yields a slight speed advantage.

I suspect most speed skaters have never skated on a shallow action speed plate where the action has been tweaked and freed up to the point where there is minimal resistance to truck turning until the widest limit of the truck swing range. Having the shallower action speed plate tuned this way, and I do not mean by making it all wobbly loose near neutral either, makes it very easy to hold the turn arcs without much foot effort at all, just like with a DA45, but without as much tracking errors for the same level of focus of weight errors.

If your steep kingpin plate turns freely throughout the full truck swing range, then a DA45 plate will not yield any significant arc tracking turning advantage at the level of turning sharpness required to negotiate the curves of the speed track oval. The DA45 plate will, however, more greatly amplify your focus of weight errors (plate lean) giving a wider tracking error with detrimental loss of speed.

Small errors being more amplified by a steeper (DA45) action is exactly what what plate twitchiness is all about, and, the faster you go, the further the deviation away from optimum track will be. It remains an issue at slower speeds too, just not as much of one.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; May 3rd, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote