View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #5
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iains View Post
No, the track cannot be easily accessed by vehicles and hasn't been fixed like that (well, not as far as I remember, but I'll have a closer look next time I'm there)!
That sounds pretty cool. I wish we had some regular skating sessions like that around here.

Quote:
OK, that sounds good. Do they have to be the same type? Also if he practises on one set which will get worn faster, will he likely notice if he then races on full size non-worn wheels?
They don't have to be the same type. It will help if they are the same brand. If you look at wheels from different companies head on you can see they have different shapes. I think Matters are the "pointiest". WRW feel less pointy than Atom IQs to me. This is really noticeable when you go around corners because the shape can force you onto the edge of the wheel.

As the practice wheels get worn down he will notice a difference between the two sets, but not the size difference. The less used wheels should feel like they roll better. The size difference between worn and unworn wheels is very minimal.

Quote:
I'll look up some bearing maintenance videos, because I really saw no way to open the bearing without damaging it. But that's my lack of experience...
Do you know the brand? If I had to guess based on what you already said I would guess Bones with a rubber seal. Or the seal is missing and you can already see the balls. You only have to have one shield/seal removed. If you can see the balls on one side, that is good enough for cleaner to get in and grit to get out.

Quote:
He often falls in three situations, at the end of training when he is tired, when he races in the wet and at relay changovers when there are lots of more experienced skaters on the same patch of track...
Okay. That doesn't sound so bad. The wetness one is technique. As the road gets slicker he should shorten his stride. The other two sound mental. As he builds his confidence things should improve. What type of leggings are you getting? This may be one of those cases where it is worth buying a pair at double the price because it will last more than twice as long.

Quote:
Do his boots fit properly? Well, he says that they are comfortable, but I can't feel where his toes are in them or anything. How can someone not wearing the boots tell?
If you feel from the top you should be able to figure out where the toes are. Certainly you can't feel through the carbon fiber on the sides, but down below the laces it should be possible. Also look at the fit around the ankles. Finally, when he is just standing there or skating slowly in a straight line, does it look like he is in full control? The ankles should not flop about, and the wheels should be very close to straight up and down.

Quote:
That's something I never thought of. What do I need to know about the boot to choose an appropriate frame? And he will tell me today that 110mm wheels would be best for him if he thought it'd make him faster. If he's not completely stable in 84s, then I guess he's not nearly ready for 90s/100s. Does having 3 wheels in a frame make much difference as opposed to the normal 4?
You need to know the distance between the front and back mounting plate. Most boots are 165mm or 195mm, although I believe some kids' boots are 158. He will probably say 110s are good (most new skaters want to skate on what the pros are using as soon as possible), but moving up too early is bad for ankles - especially those still developing. Wait until he has full control of one size before moving up. Otherwise he is at risk for ankle and/or shin pain and injury. It could even cause more falling, which puts the rest of the body at risk too.

I've heard three wheels can grip less in theory, but I know plenty of skaters not having any problems. Even the pros are experimenting with 3x125 right now. For a heavier skater three wheels will deform more and steal speed, but that isn't a problem with smaller skaters.

Cado Motus has a transformer line of frames made for this situation.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote