View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM   #63
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
You gloss over the key aspect of stability on a skates, regardless of speed.

All speed skaters in motion are continuously adjusting their focus of weight onto their plates, and are typically rolling with only one foot down the majority of the time. Placement of the skaters focus of weight onto the skate needs to be precise in order to follow the optimum track. The better skaters are usually the most accurate at maintaining the proper focus of their weight over their skates and nailing the most efficient track line around the oval, but no one is perfect.

This is where skate stability factors into the equation. Since speed skaters are continuously making slight errors in placement of the focus of their weight onto their skate (plate lean), the plates having the highest level of turn response (like DA45) plates are going to experience the largest amount of path deviation away from the optimum track. Even if the amplitude of this kind of path deviation is slight, it still steals energy.
With a less turn responsive plate setup, the same degree of error in focus of weight placement (plate lean) will not trigger as much path deviation from the optimum line, and thus less energy gets wasted. This is how greater action stability yields a slight speed advantage.

I suspect most speed skaters have never skated on a shallow action speed plate where the action has been tweaked and freed up to the point where there is minimal resistance to truck turning until the widest limit of the truck swing range. Having the shallower action speed plate tuned this way, and I do not mean by making it all wobbly loose near neutral either, makes it very easy to hold the turn arcs without much foot effort at all, just like with a DA45, but without as much tracking errors for the same level of focus of weight errors.

If your steep kingpin plate turns freely throughout the full truck swing range, then a DA45 plate will not yield any significant arc tracking turning advantage at the level of turning sharpness required to negotiate the curves of the speed track oval. The DA45 plate will, however, more greatly amplify your focus of weight errors (plate lean) giving a wider tracking error with detrimental loss of speed.

Small errors being more amplified by a steeper (DA45) action is exactly what what plate twitchiness is all about, and, the faster you go, the further the deviation away from optimum track will be. It remains an issue at slower speeds too, just not as much of one.

-Armadillo
The most important aspect you overlook is that a D/A 45 SG Plate's PIVOT ANGLE IS NOT PERMANENTLY LOCKED INTO PLACE FOREVER! The pivot angle can be changed, far more adjustable and easier to adjust than any other style plates. I do it all the time. It changes the reaction of the plate. If you skated them and tested them to the extent you pretend to know, you would know. D--M! It is becoming apparent not just to me you don't know squat about SG D/A 45 or you would know what you were talking about. You go on and on about anything other than a D/A 45, that is fine with me, but don't talk crap about what you don't understand from lack of experience. Skate'm or quit running them down. Don't think, Do! I bet I can take the old S/A trucks and make them skate just as good as what I have in D/A, just by making a few changes to the truck and to the cushion setup. I have tried your stuff in the past, why is it so hard for you to test and understand about D/A 45? As I said before, the angle can be changed to where the plate will not turn hardly at all or be faster than just about any plate. If you are talking about not doing any tuning then what is the point?
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote