View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Mort’s post is most excellent. Great advice. I do have a spin on his suggestion to watch expert skaters. Years ago while watching the Olympic Games I was totally impressed by the rhythmic style and smooth form of the ice skaters, especially Apolo Ohno. On my next skate, I tried to apply this and pretended that I was ice skating instead of roller skating. I skated very slow at first, not my usual choppy burning race to full speed, but a lot more graceful and relaxed. Anyway, I liked it a lot and have stayed with it ever since. It made skating more enjoyable for me. Strangely, it is not reality, it is just an attitude toward the pavement and how you move over it. Ha!
You countered my post with a great one yourself.

Smoothness and precision. Thats what its all about.. when I skate I pretend to be a kungfu master. Lol but seriously. How choreographed moves are in say the "IP man" movies. So smooth, and flowing. That is what one should strive for. Form and technique over power and speed. Both speed and power will come with practice.

It takes a LOT of time to develop the skillset to be able to manipulate your speed and movments on a whim in any direction.