View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #467
Ancient1

Hi Brenda,
Welcome! Funny you mentioned Buena Vista. I lived in Colorado Springs in the 80's and 90's. I almost bought a rink in Buena Vista. It was on main st. I made an offer and someone out bid me. Real bummer.

Weren't the 70's a great time to skate. I feel for you on finding a place to skate. Most places have no clue as to what art skating is all about. We had 2 rinks here in Tallahassee and one closed down. The other has no practice time and they frown on skaters doing dance, figures and freestyle because it is so dangerous to the general skating people (or so they say). I really wish I had the money now to open my own rink. But being retired and living on a fixed income makes that only a dream now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHicks View Post
Hi! I joined last year, but never took the time to post.

My name is Brenda. I now live in South Carolina (Myrtle Beach area).

I skated out of Skate City, Littleton in the mid/late seventy's and early eighties. My focus was mainly artistic--freestyle, dance, figure, but I also did speed skating during that time.

My family moved to the mountains of Colorado and opened a rink called Rolling Wheels in Buena Vista in 1983. I competed in freestyle, figures and dance. It stayed open until the early 90's.

Anyway, I've pulled out the skates and am trying to skate again. I can still land most of my singles (I haven't had enough guts to try a loop yet) and still have an awesome outer forward upright.

I'm skating on Harlick custom boots and Atlas AE84 plates with Bones super elite wheels. I had a toe stop shatter and I have been trying to find a replacement. I could really use some guidance if anyone knows where I can find freestyle toe stops to fit my plates (and possibly maintenance parts).

Also, I would love to find out if anyone knows of a rink around me that I could do figures and maybe even some dance? I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2009 and even though I can still land singles and do spins my legs seem to fatigue and I fall doing simple things like skating backwards (I broke my wrist last year....now I don't skate without wrist guards. ) Skating is keeping me moving!